Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silversin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
I'm pissed.:mad: I'm pissed at myself for dropping it. I'm pissed at Apple because they made a product that damages so easily. I'm pissed at the guy that invented concrete. I'm pissed at the world right now.

16 Gb model
http://i.imgur.com/OPTzL.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/wBLPr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/tKGfi.jpg

Seriously though, I immediately called Apple and they can swap it for somewhere between €200-€250. Should I do it, or learn to live with it? I had that thing damage free until today:(
Already payed €650 for the phone, doesn't spending another €250 sound silly?

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I laughed a little reading your topic.
As known, alot of Apple's products are fragile, so you are "warned" that they could be damaged by not using a case, or a bumper.
If you ignore the "warning" and you go naked, do not complain anywhere about damage on your device which could be cheaply prevented by using a case if you do not want to take the risk of damaging your particular device.

Blame yourself for buying the iPhone if you knew you'd drop it overtime, you can't blame Apple.

Cuechick

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2010
So Cal
You are very lucky that the screen is ok, I would get a good looking case that would hide the damage and live with it. It is just a phone and as long as it works, that is what really important. A case will cover the cosmetic issues and give it some protection against future mishaps.

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
Its not that bad actually. Dont pay the 250. Its not worth it

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I'm pissed.:mad: I'm pissed at myself for dropping it. I'm pissed at Apple because they made a product that damages so easily. I'm pissed at the guy that invented concrete. I'm pissed at the world right now.

Should I do it, or learn to live with it? I had that thing damage free until today:(

1. Why Apple? They made a product, its your job to take care of it, be even madder at yourself now?

2.Why concrete? Marvelous invention that has no guilt on its part. Again feel even madder at yourself.

3. Ok, be pissed.

Here is a positive, it wasn't the screen that was damaged... you know, as in cracked/spidered. A dinge is noticeable but concealable under a case which you have had on in the first place.

Davejprince

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2012
The Netherlands
I got a sleeve, don't like bumpers and cases.

If you "don't like bumpers and cases" you can't blame anyone but yourself for damaging the phone, I wouldn't go with a replacement.
I would fix it up a little by using some sandpaper and save yourself the costs for a new ( replacement ) device.

ProudLoz

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
I got a sleeve, don't like bumpers and cases.

Well then, why are you a bit surprised at the damage it took? Of course it's going to get damaged if you don't put a case on it.

I also have a sleeve, but I'm switching to a case because I find it that I have to go through a bit of a hassle to answer my phone when I'm driving.

Also, I dropped my phone yesterday, about a 4 foot drop and nothing happened to it. No nicks, nothing. I guess I got lucky.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan

16 Gb model

Seriously though, I immediately called Apple and they can swap it for somewhere between €200-€250. Should I do it, or learn to live with it? I had that thing damage free until today:(

That sucks on a brand new phone. In my experience with my prior two iPhones, I've needed to swap them out for various non-cosmetic issues that developed. In one case the home button stopped working and in another the GPS had issues. There were some minor cosmetic issues at the time that I turned them in and they still swapped them out with no problem for a pristine phone.

My point is, I think you were too quick to contact Apple about this. Eventually, you may have been able to get it swapped for another issue. Now that its on record that your phone is "damaged" it may be harder to do so. I'd also suggest Applecare+ in the future--especially if you go without a case. Considering how often a phone is handled, its almost destiny that your phone will kiss the pavement at some point.

silversin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
That sucks on a brand new phone. In my experience with my prior two iPhones, I've needed to swap them out for various non-cosmetic issues that developed. In one case the home button stopped working and in another the GPS had issues. There were some minor cosmetic issues at the time that I turned them in and they still swapped them out with no problem for a pristine phone.

My point is, I think you were too quick to contact Apple about this. Eventually, you may have been able to get it swapped for another issue. Now that its on record that your phone is "damaged" it may be harder to do so. I'd also suggest Applecare+ in the future--especially if you go without a case. Considering how often a phone is handled, its almost destiny that your phone will kiss the pavement at some point.

The guy on the phone just told the options, he doesn't know who I am. It's going to bother me, pretty sure of it. I think I'm going to have it replaced and slap an element case around it.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Heh, I know the feeling. I'd just be happy as **** that the glass didn't crack. Now your phone has unique identifiers to it - no longer one of the normal ones out there - it's unique. You'll be able to identify it right away.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
You can smooth that out with fine-grained sandpaper or even an emery board. With the same $$$ that you'd spend for repairs, you can buy several different cases. Personally, I use this one in black. It's protective but so minimalist visually that you don't even notice it. It totally covers that ding spot and adds almost no bulk to the iPhone size. I used the same model case on my iPhone 4.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Honestly, if you place an Element case on it as it sits you will not see or notice the drop marks.
That is the route I'd go and I am probably just as OCD as the next guy when it comes to liking my iDevices remaining in tip top shape.

silversin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
I'm still trying to figure out what is the point of these "I dropped my iPhone 5 threads" :rolleyes:

You'll know when you drop your iphone :p

Just made an appointment with Apple, i'll update you all tomorrow.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
You'll know when you drop your iphone :p

Just made an appointment with Apple, i'll update you all tomorrow.

Ha are you really going to pay for a new one? I know you said you hate cases but there are plenty of thin, nice looking cases available that keep the look of the phone.

Might wanna go that route...

macmastersam

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Essex, england
You need one of those leather flip cases like I do on my iPhone 4S. Believe me, it works wonders. Dropped the phone in its case a dozen times and no damages made as far as I am concerned. Ship around a bit, on amazon or some local shops for a leather flip case. :)

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

16 Gb model

You forgot gravity! Be pissed at gravity!

silversin

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Ha are you really going to pay for a new one? I know you said you hate cases but there are plenty of thin, nice looking cases available that keep the look of the phone.

Might wanna go that route...

Yeah dude, it's gonna bother me, i just know it. Call it OCD, a disease or whatever. I can't even look at the phone anymore, it's making me sad lol:eek:

arc123

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2012
If you post a thread asking people for advice about how to manage a particular situation, you are essentially asking one of two things - (1) what we would do, given this situation, or (2) what we speculate is the course of action that best satisfies our putative goals and motivations, if we were identical to you. None of us know you, so we only know what you tell us, in which case (2) is going to be an exercise of simply making a relatively un-nuanced inference that you likely could have drawn yourself. Given the way you worded your OP, and given this issue above, most of us are probably reasonable in assuming the only contribution we can make is in the vein of (1) above.

With that in mind, I'd just put a case on it. The available evidence suggests drops are an occupational hazard of owning a phone (including in your specific case), and it hardly makes sense to me to spend €250 each time this happens, in order to avoid having a case but maintain an attractive appearance for the phone. If you feel as though a case is too unsightly to have on your phone, and aesthetics count (such that the damage is intolerable), then you have your answer about what to do (in which case you're simply asking us to do task (2) above).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.