Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How would you change iOS?

• Gut it. Start over.

Votes: 66 21.6%
  • Slight update. Maybe live icons and widgets.

Votes: 186 61.0%
  • Leave it alone. It just works and can stay the same forever.

Votes: 53 17.4%

• Total voters

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 4, 2011
Wow, really touched on some nerves here! Nowhere did I say I personally wanted iOS gutted. I voted for a slight update and widgets. Sheesh, thin-skinned bunch. Didn't think some people would take the merest suggestion of change so personally. :eek:

djshack

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
Boston, MA
Starting over worked well for Microsoft, right? Ah, never mind. Windows Phone didn't really catch on.

Then, if you want Android-like customization and widgets and rooting abilities, there's a very simple solution that does not require Apple making a giant mistake.

Get an Android phone.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I don't think iOS needs a complete overhaul. I do, however, think it's due from some improvements. If we all hates iOS, I think we would be over on Android forums rather than on here. iOS is far from perfect, but for me, it works best for me.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
I am laughing that more people think apple should ditch the old OS and start from scratch than think its fine as is. lol

the truth shall set you free.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Functionally it's perfect just some minor improvements like live tiles would be nice. But visually we need some major change or some kind of skinning support. This blue mess is just foul to my eyes.

How is it perfect? You can't save anything that's not a picture in iOS unless you have a third-party app that supports it (ex. You cannot save a Word file from an email). iOS is great but it still has a long way to go.

LERsince1991

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I think its pretty rudimentary now to be honest!

Works ok of course but everything just seems like it could be smoother and done better now.

It needs a major update and a new lease of life. However, keep the concept and simple style.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
If something's not broken why get rid of it? They can introduce new features with iOS 7 that will make the iOS up to date without being stale. However, there is no need to start over. That would destroy pretty much all the Apps. You don't start over unless something is about to bankrupt like RIM.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Seems most people here agree that the iPhone's OS is stale and needs an update.
I think you're confusing "vocal" with "most".

It just needs to evolve like most other software does. If people are bored with it then they should move on to something else.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
For me. I think apple has a lot to prove with iOS 7. 6 was the least improved update I can remember. Android is passing iOS in a lot of areas (though iOS is better in other areas). I love my iPhone just calling it as it is. I hope the iPhone can continue to be innovative and groundbreaking without Steve Jobs.

Do people not realize that most of what's happened with iOS happened on Steve's watch? iOS didn't just get stale after Steve died. And skeuomrphism was something Steve pushed for. If Steve was pushing all this groundbreaking and innovative stuff with iOS how come we haven't seen it?

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
If anything they can start again with iOS 5. Don't like some changes they made in iOS 6.

In spite of that, I still have to say that I like iOS better. Sure it might be boring now or whatever, but the main thing I find is that I prefer if it works - which it does quite well.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
No question iOS needs an overhaul. Not from the ground-up, restart no, but at least get away from "App drawer, left open look" A screen full of app icons, is outdated. And the Fisher-Price toy theme has got to go already.

To me the iPhone OS, still looks pretty much like from 2007. Time to freshen it up already. Add live tile icons or something. Like the weather app icon, should show today's current temp, it's not 73 degrees and sunny in Chicago today.

PlatinuM195

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2009
I really enjoy some of the design elements of Android 4.2. The fonts look great, the interface is really clean in general but for some things it feels like they over-minimalized.

Take a look at this:
7HOg3.png

Compare to this:
AV8YG.png

The iOS version definitely could use with a visual refresh, but on first glance it looks as if you know approximately what's a button, where you can interact and generally what you should be doing.

This is just one case out of many comparisons that could be made.

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
According to the poll, seems like 'most' people here do agree that iOS needs updating. ;)

I didn't vote because none of the options apply to me.Updates are always welcome and even eagerly anticipated,but no,I don't see iOS as stale and NEEDING updating,whatever that means.It gets updated yearly so I'm not sitting around sad or angry that it's sooo icky.
Most people would vote for the second option without agreeing with your apparent premise that it needs to be dumped and replaced with.....what?Android?

Flawed poll

aPple nErd

macrumors 68030
Feb 12, 2012
Jailbreaks/IOS Hacks
iOS as a whole is awesome! BUT.... Apple needs to make widgets, ncsettings, and more customization an option out of the box... Like include the default winter board options... Please apple... Make iOS more funner...

----------

Correction: most geeks think iOS is stale. Apple doesn't cater to geeks, thats Google's job.

Oh gawdddd.....

boomhower

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2011
How is it perfect? You can't save anything that's not a picture in iOS unless you have a third-party app that supports it (ex. You cannot save a Word file from an email). iOS is great but it still has a long way to go.

Point taken, should have chosen my words a bit more carefully. There will always be features that we want added. I guess what I was trying to get it is what it does do it does extremely well with a few exceptions. I like what we have we have. To put in into car terms I'd like to see a body refresh and a couple bolt-ons rather than a complete rebuild with a brand new chassis.

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
I don't think it needs significantly overhauling, just improving in some key areas.

1) I think Android handles sharing better and iOS should work similarly, I.e. where any service can hook into the sharing API.
2) The built in apps should be modular, removable and updated independently of the OS.

I think iOS does multitasking and notifications better when you consider benefit to battery life ratio. Androids multitasking is more powerful, but you have to mess around figuring out which wake locks are draining your battery and it's such a ballache. iOS' multitasking has never let me down and battery life is so much better.

Best post as of yet. This is exactly what could use a change.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Make it possible to activate a "non-iTunes setting" where you're given access to the file system when connecting the phone to any computer, and a file explorer in the actual phone. That would be my one wish if I could only get one.

Another thing I'd like to do is pair my MBP and my iPhone with Bluetooth, or change that wifi-sync, so that it's more like Nokia PC Suite than iTunes.

Don't get me wrong, I love iTunes (yes, I do), but I don't want to be locked into it and I would prefer being able to save any kind of file to the phone without it having to be app specific.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Ive has told the New York Times that he will waste no time overhauling the design of iOS to make it fit in more with his own minimalist hardware designs.

Ive’s iOS makeover will incorporate “clean edges, flat surfaces” to “replace the textures that are all over the place right now.” From a practical perspective, AppleInsider says this means that “software designed to look like real-life textures, such as linen or felt, is expected to become a thing of the past.” In other words, expect the next version of iOS to have a sleeker, more industrial look to it than the current version.

http://bgr.com/2012/11/01/apple-ios-rumor-ive-makeover-planned/

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
There should be an option between gut it and start over and slight update. I think it needs to be overhauled with more than just widgets and live icons (setting default apps, better multitasking, and more freedom for starters) but not completely gutted.

Last edited:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Ive has told the New York Times that he will waste no time overhauling the design of iOS to make it fit in more with his own minimalist hardware designs.

Ive’s iOS makeover will incorporate “clean edges, flat surfaces” to “replace the textures that are all over the place right now.” From a practical perspective, AppleInsider says this means that “software designed to look like real-life textures, such as linen or felt, is expected to become a thing of the past.” In other words, expect the next version of iOS to look a lot like Windows 8.

http://bgr.com/2012/11/01/apple-ios-rumor-ive-makeover-planned/
Fixed, lol.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I think most of this noise comes from spill over in the Android community where needing to root and install custom mods and ROMs is common practice.

You'd be surprised at the small percentage of android users who actually do this. Many people saying iOS needs a refresh are iOS users seeing where the competition is going and are wanting some of that to be seen on iOS. Some people don't like how slow the OS is advancing. And others, like you, are fine with it. Having options is a good thing.

Last edited:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Also unlike Google, Apple strive to ensure that iOS is compatible with as many earlier devices as possible.

Common misconception. Google actually does strive to ensure compatibility. Most device makers don't. Big difference.

The 2010 Nexus S has been updated with Jelly Bean and the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 will be getting more updates in the future. Immediately. Guaranteed. Google themselves is as good as apple in the regard.

The pre iPad 2 Motorola xoom got Jelly bean

The year and a half old Galaxy SII is getting Jelly bean early this year.

There's other examples but this should suffice.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Common misconception. Google actually does strive to ensure compatibility. Most device makers don't. Big difference.

The 2010 Nexus S has been updated with Jelly Bean and the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 4 will be getting more updates in the future. Immediately. Guaranteed. Google themselves is as good as apple in the regard.

The pre iPad 2 Motorola xoom got Jelly bean

The year and a half old Galaxy SII is getting Jelly bean early this year.

There's other examples but this should suffice.

The fact that device makers have to spend time and resources in order to figure out how to make their devices compatible with the newest Android upgrade is exactly what I was referring to. Asus spend tones of cash trying to make their Transformers upgradable to JB, and they still haven't successfully made the transition. Sure the Prime and Infinity technically support JB, but it still runs poorly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.