Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
Could they do that without causing app compatibility issues? In 2013, a 3.5" screen on a smart phone is comical. Even 4" is pushing the limits. Mark my words, in 5 years the standard screen size for smart phone will be over 5 inches.

And don't bother replying about how much you like small screens or that you would never use a larger screen. Your opinion won't matter in the slightest. You are the same people who said they would never use a non-flip phone, would never use a phone without physical keys, or would never even use a cell phone in the first place.

The market is CLEARLY moving towards big (5 inch plus) 1080p screens on smart phones. Apple will be left in the dust if they keep offering 2011 screens into the future.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Anything is possible now that Ive is in charge of UI as well. Who knows what'll happen. Apple has never been afraid of disturbing their own market if they think what they're coming out with is superior.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
The market is CLEARLY moving towards big (5 inch plus) 1080p screens on smart phones. Apple will be left in the dust if they keep offering 2011 screens into the future.

Based on Google's own numbers, only 6.1% of active Android devices are considered "large screens" by Google's definition. This number is down from the last time I checked.

http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

qzsmJ.png

Jax9D.png

Google defines this as devices over 4 inches (looks like it goes from about 4.3 and above)

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html

eGRUt.png

When you consider this, plus the fact that the iPhone is the best selling phone on the market, you see there simply isn't a big demand for large screen phones.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Could they do that without causing app compatibility issues? In 2013, a 3.5" screen on a smart phone is comical. Even 4" is pushing the limits. Mark my words, in 5 years the standard screen size for smart phone will be over 5 inches.

And don't bother replying about how much you like small screens or that you would never use a larger screen. Your opinion won't matter in the slightest. You are the same people who said they would never use a non-flip phone, would never use a phone without physical keys, or would never even use a cell phone in the first place.

sure, apple can make a 5" phone, but what exactly is going to be improved? 2 extra rows of icons this time? The problem is iOS, not the hardware.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
When you consider this, plus the fact that the iPhone is the best selling phone on the market, you see there simply isn't a big demand for large screen phones.

That's simply not true. Here in the U.S., all the flagship phones besides the iPhone are 4.3" at the minimum. And I'm quite sure they're selling. The S3 outsold the 4S before the 5 came out.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Back in the day, phones kept on getting smaller and smaller. To the point where enough was enough and they became bigger again. In the end, a phone you can hold and operate with one hand without having it feel too big or too small seem to be what people want (outside of the fads).

I just don't believe that a phone like Galaxy Note will ever be considered standard, or even small, when talking handheld phones. 4" - 4,5" is probably the limit for most people.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012

Those figures are misleading to say the least, or (more likely) outright false. If you can't see the obvious trend toward larger and larger screens, you simply have your head stuck in the sand.

All of the most popular 2012 android sets are WELL over 4 inches and most are closing in on 5 inches. Watch as new phones get released this year. I can basically guarantee that NONE will have screens under 4 inches, including the iphone.

----------

That's simply not true. Here in the U.S., all the flagship phones besides the iPhone are 4.3" at the minimum. And I'm quite sure they're selling. The S3 outsold the 4S before the 5 came out.

Not only that, but these screens are all predicted to get bigger in 2013. The Galaxy s4 is predicted to have a 5 inch+ screen, as is the Nexus 5.

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
sure, apple can make a 5" phone, but what exactly is going to be improved? 2 extra rows of icons this time? The problem is iOS, not the hardware.

the problem with this is that most people I know with large screens, 4.7 + all use a mod to change the DPI so they can better use the screen real estate, which means these figures are incorrect because devices are showing with different screens than they really have.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011

Actually that's not true. Samsung counts those that they ship out as sold, where Apple only counts phones that are actually sold. Big, big difference. Samsung ships out millions, half could be on the shelves, in the warehouse, etc and they count those as sold.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

LOL no kidding :rolleyes: It's all new and magical, now with more icons on the screen. But it will still look like the app drawer was left open.

iOS needs a MAJOR overhaul, the OS still looks like a phone from 2007. I would love to see what Apple come sup with to compete with Windows 8 and Jellybean 4.2.1, as far as Widgets and Live Tiles type of OS.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I would say yes due to the fact that the Galaxy S3 is a stolen product i.e. original iPhone 5 Prototype.

The very thing Sammy was sued for by taking insider knowledge and creating a product out of something in the supply lines.

I fully expect the iPhone 6 to be 4.8 inch or in a future iPhone.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
OP, so you're declaring yourself an authority on screen size while simultaneously stating you don't know how resolution works. Really?

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
There is no "obvious trend". Some people prefer larger screens, some do not. Post the numbers backing your assertion.

Oh there most certainly is, and it is glaringly obvious to anyone who doesn't have their head stuck in the sand.

Do some basic research and look at all of the top new phones released in 2012. Save your silly charts showing millions of blackberry users in India or some other nonsense that is 100% irrelevant. Look at new 2012 releases and open your eyes.

Galaxy S3 - 4.8"
HTC One X - 4.7"
Nexus 4 - 4.7"
Galaxy Note 2 - 5.5"
HTC One S - 4.3"
Sony Experia T - 4.6"
Lumina 920 - 4.5"
LG Optimus 4X - 4.7"
Droid DNA - 5"
iPhone 5 - 4" (ballooned up from 3.5" the year prior)
Razr maxx - 4.3"

You are simply living in a fantasy world if you believe screens on smart phones are not getting bigger. Let's see how many major smart phones are built under 4 inches in 2013.

----------

OP, so you're declaring yourself an authority on screen size while simultaneously stating you don't know how resolution works. Really?

You don't need to be an expert to notice cell phone companies are making larger and larger screens (INCLUDING apple). Anyone who isn't completely oblivious to the real world can notice that.

Really.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

Why not just turn the iPad Mini into a iPhablet?

If you have not looked at the Samsung Galaxy Note II, do so, this thing is huge and unless you can palm a basketball, way to big for most. I had the Samsung Galaxy SIII to test for 3 weeks and as big as my hands are I could not really use it without two hands and this one was only 4.8" screen.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 30, 2012
LOL no kidding :rolleyes: It's all new and magical, now with more icons on the screen. But it will still look like the app drawer was left open.

iOS needs a MAJOR overhaul, the OS still looks like a phone from 2007. I would love to see what Apple come sup with to compete with Windows 8 and Jellybean 4.2.1, as far as Widgets and Live Tiles type of OS.

They don't need to compete with windows 8. That OS sucks and is more or less DOA.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
They don't need to compete with windows 8. That OS sucks and is more or less DOA.

I think Windows Phone's will gain a little each year. Thought I read a report last year, that said Windows Phones will be really big by like 2015. It's a slow ramp up, getting better each year.

Right now, the Nokia Lumia 920 is a nice phone, and for $99, hard to beat. Personally I prefer the Nexus line of phones myself, but the Windows 8 Phone is at least fresh and original.

To me, I would only get the iPhone 5 once the Jailbreak is out for 6.1 soon. Too many basic features lacking on a stock iPhone, that really needs Jailbreaking to open it up.

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
I prefer the smaller screen size to be able to use it comfortable one handed. Having a second tablet for a larger screen is then practical.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
The Galaxy S3 @ 4.8" screen size, is surprisingly small phone package, they squeezed in a lot in that form factor, and not hard to handle one handed.

Apple could make the iPhone 6 @ 4.3", and would be barely any bigger than the current iPhone 5. And still easily one handed. I always liked the 4.3" screen size, not too small, nor too large.

I find my Galaxy Nexus @ 4.7" just a tad on the large size, but the iPhone 5 @ 4" just too small of a screen for me. I think right in the middle would be perfect.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
forget 4.5 or 5.5 inch smartphones, just like the 7 inch tablets they are not big enough....

it's the 6-inch iPhone 6, the best iPhone we ever made.

bigger iPad mini displays than the your average 7-inch tablets and bigger iPhone displays than your typical phablet , get it? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.