Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
The 27" feels hard work to focus. How close or far is everyone ? Do you use full screen brightness, half ?

I'm using 3 down from max and sit about 15 inches from the screen at present.

There's the source of your problem. 15 inches? Really? Get some glasses. I'm surprised you don't have radiation burns, too.

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
I bought the 27" because I used to own the 24".

It took some getting used to, but no way I was buying a tiny 21.5" because that would have been harder to adjust to.

I would have been happy if they still made the 24" models .... but alas, they do not and we either adjust and adapt or look for something else.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
There's the source of your problem. 15 inches? Really? Get some glasses. I'm surprised you don't have radiation burns, too.

Measured the real distance tonight with a tape measure its 23" from head to screen

I still find my eyes burning when reading this screen. Its weird, I really want to keep this mac, but its killing me

hacke

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2011
I also will get my 27" iMac this wednesday... if I've the same problem can I just give it to the next apple store or do I have to ship it back?

itouch rulz

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
I have a 21.5 at home and a 27 at work. My work is mostly document intensive and I can have 3 A4 pages side by side on my 27 inch machine.

The 21.5 feels small when I use it at home now but not unusable and I don't feel the need to upgrade it to a 27 inch. When I sit down at the 21.5 I think wow, this is small but after using it for 5 minutes I don't think about it again.

Both machines are late 2011 models and the same specs; being a base 27 and a top spec 21.5 but without any customisation (other than extra ram which I got from OWC (for the 21.5) and Crucial (for the 27)).

I wear contact lenses and have noticed extra dryness (possible eye strain symptom) lately and haven't considered it may be due to the larger screen. I might think about that.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
You definitely need glasses. I have a 21.5"er and my eyes are about 36" from the screen. If I sat 23" from a 27"er, my eyes would hurt, too.

I have a computer desk and seems quite normal distance

What are you doing with you mac then.

23" is a good arm lengths away or so

Can you read the menu fonts at 2550 x 1400 that far with staining ?

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
Well after 24 hours of owning the 27" its still hard to get used to the size coming from a 21"

Does it get better people?

I keep thinking i've brought the wrong device 8(

I moved from a 15.4" MBP to the 27" iMac. I was definitely concerned with the size being too large. After 3 weeks of using it, I'm so glad I got the bigger screen. There have been a handful of times where I find myself having to pan my head to see everything, but this minor inconvenience is offset by the benefits. Give it a couple weeks.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
I moved from a 15.4" MBP to the 27" iMac. I was definitely concerned with the size being too large. After 3 weeks of using it, I'm so glad I got the bigger screen. There have been a handful of times where I find myself having to pan my head to see everything, but this minor inconvenience is offset by the benefits. Give it a couple weeks.

Thanks mate

mapleleafer

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2009
Can you read the menu fonts at 2550 x 1400 that far with staining ?

The 21.5", which I have, only has a resolution of 1920 X 1080, so the fonts are larger. Before buying, I went to a reseller and had a look at both sizes. The high resolution (aka small fonts) of the 27" was probably the most important factor that led me to get the 21.5".

rnb2

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2006
West Haven, CT, USA
Your brightness is up too high - I calibrated both my previous 27" 2009 and my current 21.5", and the brightness on both was at half-way or lower. I don't know if that will fix the problem (the fonts are slightly smaller on the 27" due to the higher ppi of the screen - ~110 vs ~102), but I wouldn't be surprised if cranking the brightness would cause issues, particularly with white backgrounds and black text.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.