Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

u26055

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Deigo, CA
Is it possible to boot to an external SSD drive connected via firewire with bootcamp in ML with a year old iMac?

u26055

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Deigo, CA
Thanks, that's what I was hoping to do, boot to Windows from an external drive.

I will check out that link, thanks!

u26055

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Deigo, CA
True, but I was thinking I could then put bootcamp on it & just have that disk with windows on and not my internal SSD in my iMac. Won't make much of a difference, but something to play with.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Yes, it is possible to boot Windows on an external SSD with a thunderbolt interface, and possibly with a USB-3.0 interface. It is reported that Windows will detect a slower FireWire or USB-2.0 connection and refuse to run as it is deemed to be "too slow".

There are several threads here showing how and discussing this topic already.

I am running Windows 8 on a Seagate GoFlex interface to a SSD via thunderbolt on a new iMac.

u26055

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2007
San Deigo, CA
I'm using the GoFlex connector firewire, but not the Thunderbolt, I'll have to check that out. It's a fair amount more expensive, but I think it would utilize the external drive I have better. I have the previous generation iMac, so I wonder if that will cause problems? I know Googles my friend here.:)

Thanks for the reply!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.