Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

snowmen

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2006
because that's so hard to do. :rolleyes:

Yes.

Try to take your phone on on ski hill where temperature are -35 with wind chill and your phone is in your pocket deep inside 2 sweaters and a snow jacket. At least this watch will tell you if it worth the effort to take it out or not... :D

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
Heh. Depends on the adult I guess. I stopped wearing a watch in 2008. I still remember the circumstances too. I was on a road trip and camping in a tent that weekend. The strap broke* -- the second time I had bought this exact model of watch and had it break the exact same way. I gave up on this model in disgust, I wasn't going to buy a third one. The rest of that week I relied on my cell phone to tell the time. It was always in my pocket anyway. I guess I just got used to it, because I don't wear a watch anymore...

*Actually it was the plastic housing that holds the strap pin in place that cracked. Not repairable on these inexpensive watches.

Yeah, I know many adults do not, mostly I was responding to the attitude of the other post which implied watches are no longer valid. And as you mentioned, while your phone is in your pocket and easily accessible, a watch on your wrist is still much more convenient....and they look nice. :) I actually have a small collection because I enjoy watches as a fashion accessory. It's one of the few accessories men have.

----------

this watch offers nothing that you cannot already do directly on your phone. yes you don't have to pull your phone out of your pocket but you'll have to pull it out anyway to perform any of the functions they demonstrate.

It's as if everyone ignored the old man who's phone was across the room in his coat pocket. How hard is it to accept that not everyone has their phone in their pocket (on their person) at all times?

----------

except that women don't wear watches and the one that do would never wear this.

Quick look around the room....3 women....3 watches. 2 men...2 watches.

I'll check in other venues (more casual...younger) later...but I suspect that all these implications that a majority of people no longer wear watches is completely bogus and based on assumption.

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
Yeah, I know many adults do not, mostly I was responding to the attitude of the other post which implied watches are no longer valid. And as you mentioned, while your phone is in your pocket and easily accessible, a watch on your wrist is still much more convenient....and they look nice. :) I actually have a small collection because I enjoy watches as a fashion accessory. It's one of the few accessories men have

True enough. But I go back to my first comment on this story, which was, if you want to wear a nice watch as a fashion accessory, would you choose this COOKOO watch? I'm guessing no.

The reason I didn't buy another watch right away when my cheap one broke was that I was going to wait and buy a decently nice one. While I was waiting, though, I kinda got used to not wearing a watch. As a side benefit, unlearning the habit of constantly checking the time on my watch allowed me to loosen up and relax, and I think it was a significant destressor in my life too.

Geckotek

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2008
NYC
True enough. But I go back to my first comment on this story, which was, if you want to wear a nice watch as a fashion accessory, would you choose this COOKOO watch? I'm guessing no.

I think the face is nice, but I find the strap cheesy and the chassis a bit to thick. For now I'm passing on this one, but the face did tempt me. Eagerly awaiting my Pebble.

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
Well, the idea is interesting. However I can only imagine this being useful if you're home and, say, you have your phone charging in a room and you're somewhere else in the house and rather than missing a call/notification, you would be notified via this watch.

Yujenisis

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2002
This looks a lot more attractive and interesting than the Pebble to me.

Wearable computing seems like the next 'big thing' - I wonder when and if Apple will pounce and possibly send the competition back to the drawing board. I think smart watches (anyone remember SPOT?), are probably the next step now that every tech-head now has a smart phone and folks are now looking for the 'next thing'.

I just can't see Google Glass taking off as a mass-market product just yet and not because it screams "dweeb". At least in the states, where eye contact is so important, that having an always-on device right on your eye will be socially acceptable or even cool for a little time yet.

Interesting all around to see how this market will unfold with or without Apple.

----------

I just wish it was bigger.

Ha! I wish it was smaller! It's friggin' thick, man!

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
Nobody remembers Dick Tracy? Sparkle Plenty? The wrist phone is finally here, just as my vintage copies of Popular Science predicted!

The iPhone will be like a base station in the pocket or purse. Siri will dial, give verbal directions, read Yelp reviews of some trendy coffee shop...whatever doesn't actually require a "big" screen.

It could also hook up with in-ear speakers, or hearing aid sorts of devices and would serve to relay your voice thru the iPhone while the audio part would come thru the ear pieces.

Soon we can be annoyed by people constantly talking into their wrist area (hopefully not more imaginative areas).

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Yes.

Try to take your phone on on ski hill where temperature are -35 with wind chill and your phone is in your pocket deep inside 2 sweaters and a snow jacket. At least this watch will tell you if it worth the effort to take it out or not... :D

You're enjoying a day on the mountain - unplug for a few hours for christ sakes :D

thebluepointe

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
I don't own a watch been without one for at least 5 years now maybe longer. This might be a nice device for those who still collect watches . Clearly this product is not being aimed at us lol

I could see if it was a stylish accessory...maybe something elegant you could wear when at an event, but want to keep the tech low-profile. But this thing just screams "Hey! Look at the paperweight on my wrist!"

johngordon

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
Seems like many of the functions involve the iPhone being away from you or not on your person.

I have the iPhone with me all waking hours.

Exactly this. I was watching the video thinking it was quite good, until I remembered that I no longer wear a watch because I just use my phone.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Yes.

Or,
imagine you are in the middle of a parachute jump and it can tell you not to forget to pull the cord.

try to be run over by a car swimming in the ocean / be under water
(the thing is supposed to be waterproof)

I am sure we can find more activities we do 24/7 without our iPhones near by.

rlavalle

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2007
Why do so many folks not understand how useful messages on a watch can be? Do you wear a wrist watch or pocket watch? Sounds like this watch doesn't show the message or caller info, but I could certainly see this being useful in a watch that does show the info.

If I'm driving and a text comes in or alarm goes off, do I want to contort to get my phone out of my pants pocket or would I rather glance at my wrist?

However, this watch is crazy huge. Make it slim and attractive and have a high res display that can show your text message, alarm info, caller name, etc. and I'd be all over it.

DribbleCastle

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2009
Seattle, WA
Terrible video

Ugh, the song is such a bad choice for this video. And its a terrible song on its own. Watch is crazy bulky, I'd rather wait for Apple to take a real shot at wearable tech.

ekrueger24

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
London, UK
Interesting... they filmed the ad in Hong Kong and most of those people are my friends.

Looks quite interested, but probably will wait until version two before I consider getting it for myself.

r00fus

macrumors regular
May 23, 2009
Forget the watch - the keyfob sounds more interesting.

Locates your phone, battery warning, camera trigger, 1 year standby, replaceable battery.

Basically a lot of the cool "remote" features of the watch, sans display (and likely waterproof-ness), but for $40, it's a whole lot easier to try out, and I don't have to show it off or replace my existing nice watch.

http://www.connectedevice.com/cookoo-keyfob/

Last edited:

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I notice that most of you that always have your iPhone with you are men. We have pockets. My wife never has her phone on her, can't find it and forgets it. This watch sounds ideal and it probably keeps better time than her Rolex which she is always complaining about. But I didn't buy it. Size is one problem but when I went to order the $35 shipping charge turned me off and I did not get it. I can risk non-delivery for a 129 order, but the 35 sounds like added profit and I don't want to risk that it has to be signed for because I live out in the country and the delivery people can't get to my house.

Yes, I would advice you to ask your wife if shes interested in swapping her Rolex for an over-sized geek watch before you place an order. :)

PS: Even Rolexes needs service once in a while.

hellomuzic143

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2013
bluetooth watch

[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

One of the technologies that we've been looking forward to becoming more prevalent in iOS accessories is the incorporation of low-power Bluetooth 4.0, now known as Bluetooth Smart. The technology allows for low-power long term connectivity between your iOS devices and your accessories. Kickstarter-backed e-paper Pebble watch was one example that generated an enormous amount of interest with over $10 million in pre-sales.

ConnecteDevice today announced the worldwide launch of their COOKOO watch which also begin life as life as a KickStarter project.

The company describes the watch as a designer watch that combines analog movement with a connected digital display. By using a freely available app, users can pick and choose which notifications that appear on their watch.

The watch can display notifications for:

- Incoming Calls
- Missed Calls
- Facebook Messages and Posts
- Calendar Reminders
- When a Smart Device (iPhone, iPad, etc..) is out of range
- When a Smart Device (iPhone, iPad, etc..) is low on Battery

It also has a customizable command button which can find your phone, snap a photo, check-in to Facebook or tag your location on a map.

YouTube: video
The watch uses a standard button-cell battery that will last up to one year. It is scratch resistant and water resistant. COOKOO supports the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad mini, iPad (4th & 3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation). The watch is priced at $129 in 5 different colors.

ConnecteDevice says the watch is shipping now and they will be showing it at CES 2013. Based on comments by early Kickstarter backers, it seems there are some dropped-connectivity complaints with the first version of the software that the company says they are addressing in an upcoming update.

Article Link: CES 2013: COOKOO Watch Brings 'Bluetooth Smart' Connectivity to iOS Devices

Hey guys. I am also going to introduce a great side for bluetooh watches. This site provides you the best bluetooth watches which will make you life more easier. Just go to the site http://www.cookoowatch.com and get more information about the bluetooth watches. This is the best site to get to know about the bluetooth watches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.