Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poob Bubes

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2007
I played episodes 1-4 of the The Walking Dead on my 2010 iMac (AMD GPU) with all the settings maxed. It was very playable. Switched to the 2012 Mac mini and played episode 5 yesterday. I can tell there is a very noticeable drop in frame rate. The mouse seemed very sluggish when moving it around the screen to select objects.

Luckily this is not an issue for me because I built a gaming rig a couple of months ago. I had to finish out episode 5 on OS X though because my saves would not transfer over to my Windows install.

alhumphrey

macrumors member
Feb 17, 2010
1080p video

I like all the people questioning if the 2012 mini can run 1080p video, with out a discreet graphics card. How do you think an apple tv does it or and ipad3/4 that is able to push much high res. 1080p is easy for a mobile system on a chip so the HD 4000 will cope.

JamSandwich

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
All in all, I'm a little disappointed with the HD4000 as a GPU... I think different people expect different things from their games.

It's certainly a step up from the ATI 2600HD in my old system... but I'd have liked something a little snappier. I'm happy to be getting better performance, but I expect I'll be left wanting a little when it comes to games.

Will probably set up a Boot Camp partition in the near future for the performance and library improvements... but I had always thought I might wind up with a PC sooner or later for my gaming needs.

diagnostics247

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2012
All in all, I'm a little disappointed with the HD4000 as a GPU... I think different people expect different things from their games.

It's certainly a step up from the ATI 2600HD in my old system... but I'd have liked something a little snappier. I'm happy to be getting better performance, but I expect I'll be left wanting a little when it comes to games.

Will probably set up a Boot Camp partition in the near future for the performance and library improvements... but I had always thought I might wind up with a PC sooner or later for my gaming needs.

Why? Expect the same results with HD4000 in OSX as Windows.

Stillsuit

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
MoP update

If you lower the res to around 720p and play with manual settings MoP is playable. Frame rates 35-70 vary depending on where you are. Picture quality and playability is ok.

Just can not help but think how much better this mini would be with a dedicated card. People say its the size, but MacBook pros have a dedicated card. No reason to do this from apple

Mattjeff

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2008
Something wrong?

I feel like the minority here. I tested mine out right away with Star wars Empire at war and at 1080 I hat to have AA off in order to play and even then some menus where difficult. I tried it on a lower res with similar results. I have the 2.6 i7 with 16GB RAM and a 256SSD samsung 830. I get high 400s in both read and write. It has me a bit worried because I just replaced my 2007 MBP that was supposed to last longer and my brand new mac mini isn't handling what my old MBP whooped.

JamSandwich

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Why? Expect the same results with HD4000 in OSX as Windows.

Especially with regard to the game library, right? (har har).

Certainly Windows has historically performed better with plenty of games. I don't know how much it's changed in the past year, but even a year ago there was a marked difference for some titles, let alone the cries I've read over the years about supbar Aspyr ports and the like.

http://barefeats.com/imac11e.html

Either way, Source games are playable at native res, which is new for me, so there is a performance improvement for me.

Oujmik

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Anyone tried Assassin's Creed 2? One Steam it says it only supports a few cards and the HD4000 is not one (it also says not Lion compatible, but seems to be okay for ML according to the internet), but does that mean it will be unplayable or just that they can't guarantee it. I'm not expecting high settings, but would be fun to be able to play a few games.

I found one record on another post of someone running Civ 5, but can anyone confirm that it works?

Azlynn

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
Bringing this back up...

I downloaded my copy of Civ 5 from Steam that I'd never been able to play on my PC. Runs perfectly fine, moves from turn to turn faster than 4 ever did on my PC. As a Civ diehard, it's perfectly good.

Been playing Tropico 3 the last few days, did notice that after a whole the fan starts to rev up fairly high.

Other wussy gaming has been Sims Social and Zuma Blitz on Facebook. Sims Social is faster to load than it was on my PC - not fast enough, but fine. Zuma doesn't have the lag problem that I had on PC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.