Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrabr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
Mac Pro 3,1 (2008), 10.8.2

Santa has been nice and gave me Gigabyte GV-N680FW3-2GD - Graphics card. It is basically your typical NVIDIA 680 but with 3 fans (and no overclocking) - I was hoping it would be super quiet.

Mountain Lion's stock drivers would appear to notice when I would plug smth on HDMI port (there would be that flicker you see when the OS tries to recognize a new display) but nothing would happen.

No worries - NVIDIA's drivers ( 304.00.05f02 ) are much better. I can actually plug four(4) monitors if I wanted to.

HOWEVER, there is a rather vexing detail:mad:: if the HDMI cable is plugged into ANYTHING at boot, the system hangs. Same happens when it tries to wake up from sleep.

If I boot the computer and THEN plug the cable into a monitor, everything works perfectly.

It would appear that the HDMI device recognition is borked.

I have tried two different HDMI monitors. I have tried two different known good HDMI cables. And any combination thereof. The problem manifests even if the HDMI cable is plugged into a monitor that is physically disconnected from power.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Is this a feature of the card? Or of the NVIDIA Drivers?

If your HDMI behaves fine (or not) in a similar config, please let me know - it will definitely help.

Thank You!

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK
Mac Pro 3,1 (2008), 10.8.2

Santa has been nice and gave me Gigabyte GV-N680FW3-2GD - Graphics card. It is basically your typical NVIDIA 680 but with 3 fans (and no overclocking) - I was hoping it would be super quiet.

Mountain Lion's stock drivers would appear to notice when I would plug smth on HDMI port (there would be that flicker you see when the OS tries to recognize a new display) but nothing would happen.

No worries - NVIDIA's drivers ( 304.00.05f02 ) are much better. I can actually plug four(4) monitors if I wanted to.

HOWEVER, there is a rather vexing detail:mad:: if the HDMI cable is plugged into ANYTHING at boot, the system hangs. Same happens when it tries to wake up from sleep.

If I boot the computer and THEN plug the cable into a monitor, everything works perfectly.

It would appear that the HDMI device recognition is borked.

I have tried two different HDMI monitors. I have tried two different known good HDMI cables. And any combination thereof. The problem manifests even if the HDMI cable is plugged into a monitor that is physically disconnected from power.

Am I the only one experiencing this?

Is this a feature of the card? Or of the NVIDIA Drivers?

If your HDMI behaves fine (or not) in a similar config, please let me know - it will definitely help.

Thank You!

My card does exactly the same! I run two monitors via vga and dvi and one TV via HDMI, same issue. If I plug it in after boot I get everything working. Plug all three in before boot and it hangs at a grey screen. Does anyone have an answer to this?

andrabr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008
My card does exactly the same! I run two monitors via vga and dvi and one TV via HDMI, same issue. If I plug it in after boot I get everything working. Plug all three in before boot and it hangs at a grey screen. Does anyone have an answer to this?

Well, at least you are not alone :)
Given that there are two of us, it would be reasonable to assume that rather than both of us buying defective cards, the fault is either in the design or in the drivers.

I have contacted Gigabyte support, but they are 100% useless. Their final statement was "Unfortunately we do not validate MAC as this is an PC based card."

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
These kinds of threads are making me depressed ;(

Apple truly left the Mac Pro people in the dust.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Given that there are two of us, it would be reasonable to assume that rather than both of us buying defective cards, the fault is either in the design or in the drivers.

I have contacted Gigabyte support, but they are 100% useless. Their final statement was "Unfortunately we do not validate MAC as this is an PC based card."

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1440150/

7) Are these cards officially supported?

No, the PC cards are not officially supported, but they do seem to work very well with the most recent drivers.

Don't expect to get official support, this is definitely an unsupported configuration. You have a workaround (i.e. just plug in the HDMI display after boot) so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, right?

All Taken

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2009
UK

I actually fixed this with my system, I'm going to guess that you're using a DVI-D AND a DVI-I connection? Along with the HDMI....

I was running the above and solved the hang by using two DVI-D connections. Worked instantly.

See this: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16605784/

----------

Don't expect to get official support, this is definitely an unsupported configuration. You have a workaround (i.e. just plug in the HDMI display after boot) so it shouldn't be that big of a deal, right?

Could you update the sticky with this info fix/requirement? Might help a few people.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16605784/

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Yes, I will update with info about the DVI-D and DVI-I connectors, and booting with HDMI.

andrabr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2008

It never hurts to ask ;-)

In fact, i would not be surprised if Nvidia fixed the unsupported problem anyway - the real trick is getting the right info to the right people.

They have been consistently improving the drivers. The least we can do as a sign of appreciation is give them some constructive feedback.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.