Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Hey guys and gals, I started a thread a week back looking for the perfect folio style case because I was joining the Mini class. After a few days of looking, I went with the Devicewear Ridge. I know there's no perfect case, but it's perfect for my needs and maybe yours as well too. The other reviews sounded like what I was looking for and they were spot on. I used to be a case a holic, but with this years generation devices I decided to just buy one or two cases at most. I got this on Amazon for $22 shipped and it's simply a great case. Anyone looking for a folio style case should definitely give this case a try. Cases look better in pictures so I thought I'd share...check it out.

DSC_1102_zps446e31f5.jpg

DSC_1108_zps79a47cd3.jpg

DSC_1110_zpse2ed25af.jpg

-Really nice exterior, clean stitching, and doesn't look or feel cheap
-Snap in style polycarbonate casing that keeps the iPad Mini streamlined and clean looking

DSC_1113_zps923cdadc.jpg

DSC_1115_zps5fd45028.jpg

-Sleep/Wake function works every time
-Strong magnets keeps the cover from not flapping around

DSC_1119_zps548e1e2a.jpg

DSC_1136_zpsf2c76e1f.jpg

-Multiple grooves to support many viewing angles

DSC_1126_zpsaa99d2d8.jpg

DSC_1129_zpsba35969f.jpg

-Lightweight
-Perfect cutouts with volume buttons not feel too recessed at all

DSC_1141_zpsc353fd4f.jpg

As much as I like carrying and using the iPad Mini as is (case less), for some reason with this case on, it feels much better to hold. More secure in the hands. I guess you have to try it to believe it.

Yes this was short and sweet, but not much thought about this case was needed. It fits the bill in more ways than one. Definitely recommended.

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
Very nice. Thanks for posting so many pics. I'm not fan of folios as I like to remove the Smart Cover when not in use, but there are a ton here that are fans. I've read good things about the Ridge as these pics confirm that.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
Very nice. Thanks for posting so many pics. I'm not fan of folios as I like to remove the Smart Cover when not in use, but there are a ton here that are fans. I've read good things about the Ridge as these pics confirm that.

Thanks for checking the thread out. Yeah I might go with a CoverBuddy and Smart Cover next for my review. It was that combo or this folio. Regardless this folio will be used full time I think.

Here's the wall for people wondering

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 328

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had your Ridge for? Due to the cover not staying flat, I've actually developed issues with auto-sleep/wake and it will not always activate them now.

Likewise, I'm not sure how you're holding your Ridge when the cover is flipped back, but mine certainly does not stay "attached" when flipped to the back...

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012
You might want to correct the spelling of Ridge in the thread title for people who do searches.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
If you don't mind me asking, how long have you had your Ridge for? Due to the cover not staying flat, I've actually developed issues with auto-sleep/wake and it will not always activate them now.

Likewise, I'm not sure how you're holding your Ridge when the cover is flipped back, but mine certainly does not stay "attached" when flipped to the back...

I haven't had it too long but I can see why you would say that. I've noticed the cover not too flat either but it's still pretty new. Guess time will tell. How long have you had yours for?

Hmm probably the way I hold it folded back makes it feel attaches but in the end it's actually not. I will delete that part of the review. Good call!

You might want to correct the spelling of Ridge in the thread title for people who do searches.

Thanks I just fixed it. Didn't even realize it :rolleyes:

justinf77

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2003

This is the one flaw in an otherwise perfect case. I've had the Ridge for several weeks now and I still love it, but occasionally I need to "work" the bend on the top part of the cover so that it still lays flat enough. By "work", I mean just bending the front cover back and forth to loosen it up.

Right now, I'd rate this case 9/10, and if that issue was fixed, it would easily be 10/10.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
This is the one flaw in an otherwise perfect case. I've had the Ridge for several weeks now and I still love it, but occasionally I need to "work" the bend on the top part of the cover so that it still lays flat enough. By "work", I mean just bending the front cover back and forth to loosen it up.

Right now, I'd rate this case 9/10, and if that issue was fixed, it would easily be 10/10.

I've been laying the Mini flat with the camera cutout facing up. It flattens it every time.

I'm really impressed by the quality of material for the price

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
I haven't had it too long but I can see why you would say that. I've noticed the cover not too flat either but it's still pretty new. Guess time will tell. How long have you had yours for?

I've had mine for about 3-4 weeks now, and while I saw signs of the problem early on (around the end of week 1), it's gotten noticeably worse as time has progressed. In fact, it's gotten to the point where the auto-sleep/wake is no longer reliable and I'm considering replacing it with another folio or just using a sleeve + stand combo. It's possible I could just have a defective product though.

I agree, if it weren't for this, the Ridge would be the best value for your money bar none in terms of folios for the Mini. I've tried doing what you're doing, but my auto-sleep/issues persist, and in some cases, are actually getting worse as time progresses.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I've had mine for about 3-4 weeks now, and while I saw signs of the problem early on (around the end of week 1), it's gotten noticeably worse as time has progressed. In fact, it's gotten to the point where the auto-sleep/wake is no longer reliable and I'm considering replacing it with another folio or just using a sleeve + stand combo. It's possible I could just have a defective product though.

I agree, if it weren't for this, the Ridge would be the best value for your money bar none in terms of folios for the Mini. I've tried doing what you're doing, but my auto-sleep/issues persist, and in some cases, are actually getting worse as time progresses.

Hmm guess I will watch for this. I see what you mean though. Like I said, I've been laying it down with camera cutout face up and it's kept the cover flat against the screen since I've used the case.

I will post back if it gets worse

I might give the CoverBuddy/Smart Cover combo a try next

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007

Hmm probably the way I hold it folded back makes it feel attaches but in the end it's actually not. I will delete that part of the review. Good call!

Thanks I just fixed it. Didn't even realize it :rolleyes:

I've had mine for quite a while and its still not flat despite my bending it back. You put your iphone on top of the ipad for the pictures and that masked the issue. My case wake sleep has so far not been affected.

Overall I still think this is a GREAT case for the $$$'s

mikemj23

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2010
I agree 100% with this review. This is my 3rd case for my mini and it's by far the best. I didn't mind the other cases (Belkin Dot Cover, Poetic Slimline) but I continued to look for a better one. With the Devicewear, I don't feel the need to look any longer. Very well made, satisfies my wants/needs for a case, and the price was great ($22 on Amazon).

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
Any recent development on this case?

I just ordered one and it will be here in the morning. I used the Switcheasy Canvas for my iPad 2 and loved it but the new Canvas doesn't have a bend in the cover so I cant tuck the cover under the iPad between the iPad and the back part of the case but this one does and doesn't have the annoying clasps the Canvas had.

Overall it has all the function I want our of a case. Hope it holds up.

I am currently using a Belkin...Classic Tab? The grey one with the dot person n the front. I like the functionality just not the tab that is always in the way, or the nasty feel of the material...

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
Hey guys and gals, I started a thread a week back looking for the perfect folio style case because I was joining the Mini class. After a few days of looking, I went with the Devicewear Ridge. I know there's no perfect case, but it's perfect for my needs and maybe yours as well too. The other reviews sounded like what I was looking for and they were spot on. I used to be a case a holic, but with this years generation devices I decided to just buy one or two cases at most. I got this on Amazon for $22 shipped and it's simply a great case. Anyone looking for a folio style case should definitely give this case a try. Cases look better in pictures so I thought I'd share...check it out.

-Really nice exterior, clean stitching, and doesn't look or feel cheap
-Snap in style polycarbonate casing that keeps the iPad Mini streamlined and clean looking

-Sleep/Wake function works every time
-Strong magnets keeps the cover from not flapping around

-Multiple grooves to support many viewing angles

-Lightweight
-Perfect cutouts with volume buttons not feel too recessed at all

As much as I like carrying and using the iPad Mini as is (case less), for some reason with this case on, it feels much better to hold. More secure in the hands. I guess you have to try it to believe it.

Yes this was short and sweet, but not much thought about this case was needed. It fits the bill in more ways than one. Definitely recommended.

Case for me is a bit if a meh. And what's up with your iPhone in all those pics?:rolleyes:

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I did really like this case most probably because of its low price. But I stopped using it long ago because it did not stay closed and it added significant enough weight to the tablet to make it really not useful

Deviceware could enhance this case significantly and make it way more usable but they have chosen not to do so to date

The vaja Noelle case that is a very thin leather cover is more to my liking. I did not buy one presently from my Mac Mini as I am waiting for the next iteration of the Mac Mini to be released but when it is I will buy one.

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
I did really like this case most probably because of its low price. But I stopped using it long ago because it did not stay closed and it added significant enough weight to the tablet to make it really not useful

Deviceware could enhance this case significantly and make it way more usable but they have chosen not to do so to date

The vaja Noelle case that is a very thin leather cover is more to my liking. I did not buy one presently from my Mac Mini as I am waiting for the next iteration of the Mac Mini to be released but when it is I will buy one.

Did you mean the vaja Nuova? I am having trouble finding one by the name you mentioned, and by Mac mini I am assuming you mean iPad mini? Otherwise you are in the wrong place?

So I have been using the blue "the Ridge" case by devicewear and the blue could not match the color of the black iPad mini any closer, nearly identical if not identical.

So far it is the perfect case. Great angles for all uses. Watch movie on it and played many games, reading etc. love it. I do see what people have mentioned about the cover being bent too much over time to not lock the screen but so far not an issue and it apears the magnet is strong enough that it turns the screen off about and inch away from being closed. So I think it will be fine so long as you break in the cover flap. And bend it back a few times when that happens. But so far I don't see it becoming a huge issue.

The blue looks amazing and quality is superb. If anyone wants pics I will but only if requested.

thatappleguytoday

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I'm happy to report my retina mini fits inside this case :D It snaps in just fine and I can shake the heck out of it without the ipad popping out

Yes I know there is no 2nd mic hole, but not an issue for me

This was def one of the best cases for the 1st gen IMO

Just some quick pics taken with an iPhone

Attachments

• IMG_5368.jpg
    IMG_5368.jpg
    386.7 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_5369.jpg
    IMG_5369.jpg
    408.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_5370.JPG
    IMG_5370.JPG
    516.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_5371.JPG
    IMG_5371.JPG
    458.4 KB · Views: 171

Angel841

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2010
I'm happy to report my retina mini fits inside this case :D It snaps in just fine and I can shake the heck out of it without the ipad popping out

Yes I know there is no 2nd mic hole, but not an issue for me

This was def one of the best cases for the 1st gen IMO

Just some quick pics taken with an iPhone

Do you still recommend this case? I want to buy one. The sleep wake still works? How it is after all the time that you have it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.