Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

technickal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Question for everyone. In previous versions of OS X, if the battery drains, it would turn off until I plugged it back in, then when I hit the power button, a progress bar would load my desktop to the point where I last was.

Now in Mountain Lion, the whole computer boots up from fresh and doesn't return to my point from when it shut off. Is there any way to change it back to the way it used to work, or is this how its going to be from now on. Thanks all!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Question for everyone. In previous versions of OS X, if the battery drains, it would turn off until I plugged it back in, then when I hit the power button, a progress bar would load my desktop to the point where I last was.

Now in Mountain Lion, the whole computer boots up from fresh and doesn't return to my point from when it shut off. Is there any way to change it back to the way it used to work, or is this how its going to be from now on. Thanks all!
It should sleep on low power, allowing you to resume where you left off. If possible, don't fully drain your battery. It's not good for it.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

technickal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Right, that's what it used to do, when it gets around the 20's it does it, it used to just sleep and then resume, but now it restarts. :( Do you think its because of an old battery? I only notice the difference in ML.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Right, that's what it used to do, when it gets around the 20's it does it, it used to just sleep and then resume, but now it restarts. :( Do you think its because of an old battery? I only notice the difference in ML.
What year and model Mac notebook do you have?
Also use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery health and cycles.

technickal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
Late 2008 Aluminum Macbook (before they were called Pro's).

iStat pro makes me feel nervous :p So perhaps the computer doesn't have enough time to go to sleep and just shuts off. (even tho it turns off around 20ish%)

Health 71%
Cycles: 1264

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Late 2008 Aluminum Macbook (before they were called Pro's).

iStat pro makes me feel nervous :p So perhaps the computer doesn't have enough time to go to sleep and just shuts off. (even tho it turns off around 20ish%)

Health 71%
Cycles: 1264
There's no need to be nervous about iStat Pro. It simply gives you readings on your battery condition. It's free and cannot harm your Mac in any way. It's been used by millions of Mac users for years.

For it turning off at around 20%, try calibrating the battery using the steps in the CALIBRATION section of the Battery FAQ linked in my first post.

technickal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2008
I meant nervous as in I need a new battery soon lol. I have iStat pro already, its awesome ;) I'll try the calibration. Thanks so much for you help with everything kind sir!

----------

I found something in the help page for calibration.. it explains my problem.

Tip: When the battery reaches "empty", the computer is forced into sleep mode. The battery actually holds a reserve beyond "empty", to maintain the computer in sleep for a period of time. Once the battery is truly exhausted, the computer is forced to shut down. At this point, any open files could be lost. Therefore, it is important that you find an electrical outlet and connect the adapter before the forced shutdown occurs.​

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.