Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Reminds me that I bought a tower Mac before USB was introduced. A bit later I decided that I needed a USB card. USB card for Macintosh = £30. USB card = £10. USB card worked just fine.

Why would anyone pay $300 for this? Two Thunderbolt ports. Well, one is needed so you can plug in the Thunderbolt cable from the Mac. Duuh. The other one so you can plug in an actual Thunderbolt device. Double duuh. So $300 for a few ports? If you pay $100 for a huge USB3 hard drive, why would you pay $300 for this?

There were plenty of 2011 Macs sold with Thunderbolt but no USB 3.0. That's the entire point of this product. So is that foolish?

Those people have lived for more than a year without USB 3.0. So what are they going to do: Spend $300 for USB 3.0? Or wait a little bit until they buy their next Mac that comes with USB 3.0 for free?

Last edited:

knuro

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2009
The thunderbolt controller itself costs Belkin $25 from Intel, and each usb 3.0 costs $5. Do you expect Belkin to take a loss?

With typical margins, you won't see anything thunderbolt for USB hub cheap. And you get what you pay for.

I'd say if this works for someone's needs it's a good purchase. Quibbling over a few hundred bucks over what it "should" cost is fine for people who don't actually need it, but that's just moralizing.

It is not 'moralizing' if it beyond financial reach. I may buy one later in the year if the price drops thru Amazon or NewEgg.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
People want dual displays with these docks. Why would I pay 300 and more money for a monitor when the thunderbolt display will suffice. I just dont want to pay 2000 for dual displays. Would be nice if they just would do dual dvi. A lot of people are with me, I don't understand why no one is listening. It's not that hard.

I'm with you and I want that too. I feel like Apple is actively thwarting the multiple-external monitor crowd and poisoning the well for other product companies.

However, I'm too cheap for the TBD so this would work for me - I can hook up my old ACD and get ethernet without a silly wasteful dongle, and then plug in my other monitor to the other TB port (if and when I go rMBP). But it's still pretty ugly for a docked setup - I will need to plug in two TB cables.

TBD doesn't have USB 3.0 either, so it's a difficult road we walk.

But do I wish they would make this the cheap version and come up with another with dual downstream TB? Hell yeah.

----------

It is not 'moralizing' if it beyond financial reach. I may buy one later in the year if the price drops thru Amazon or NewEgg.

I think the tech companies (including Apple) don't have a good idea on what people need. At the same time customers don't have a good idea of what it costs to make this stuff. So we can't say "hub = $40" and then assume a TB hub should cost the same. Key word is "should". If these guys were smart and wise as they should be, and they can make their margins, this stuff should come down. But it's not going to come way down.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
FIREWIRE 800!, that's a bigger difference between the two!

As other pointed out, Mac uses will have FW over eSATA

(MR fail not to point that out)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I don't think that many people would want to use dvi.

I'm guilty of using DVI as there's a bug somewhere between Thunderbolt/DP and the rMBP. If I plug a DisplayPort => HDMI cable from my rMBP into one of my displays, it picks it up as a TV (thus no display options, overscan, and crap quality). If I plug it in with a DisplayPort => DVI then a DVI => HDMI it works fine. Somewhere something is (or maybe isnt) being transmitted with DVI that isnt being transmitted with HDMI.

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
I don't think that many people would want to use dvi.

Then two mini displayports, anything. I don't care, but drive two monitors.

----------

I'm with you and I want that too. I feel like Apple is actively thwarting the multiple-external monitor crowd
But do I wish they would make this the cheap version and come up with another with dual downstream TB? Hell yeah.

I think apple will eventually update the 27" thunderbolt with the new infused glass display (as imac 27) and have usb 3.0 ports. When.. dunno, I'd guess when the next mac pro will be announced.

Ideally if apple would release 21.5 or 24" for 500-600 thunderbolt displays, I'd be insanely happy and daisy chain them. I absolutely need dual displays, but when i tried dual thunderbolt, it was insanely annoying (too big, IMO).

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Reminds me that I bought a tower Mac before USB was introduced. A bit later I decided that I needed a USB card. USB card for Macintosh = £30. USB card = £10. USB card worked just fine.

Why would anyone pay $300 for this? Two Thunderbolt ports. Well, one is needed so you can plug in the Thunderbolt cable from the Mac. Duuh. The other one so you can plug in an actual Thunderbolt device. Double duuh. So $300 for a few ports? If you pay $100 for a huge USB3 hard drive, why would you pay $300 for this?

Those people have lived for more than a year without USB 3.0. So what are they going to do: Spend $300 for USB 3.0? Or wait a little bit until they buy their next Mac that comes with USB 3.0 for free?

For me, its highly useful. On my rMBP, when I get into the office in the morning I currently plug in:

- Magsafe,
- 2x Displays (via the 2 Thunderbolt ports)
- 1x USB 3.0 HDD
- 1x USB 2.0 Hub (7 ports, all in use)

At the side of the desk I have 3 more USB 3.0 hard drives - I currently have to swap them around all the time due to lack of ports (and USB 3.0 hubs simply dont work on the rMBP - highly unreliable).

With this, I can get all of those drives working, stop using a USB 2.0 ethernet adaptor (at only 100mbps - my broadband is faster than that) and get a firewire port back (Still got a bunch of firewire drives).

So. May not be useful for you, but that doesn't immediately mean its a failure. ;)

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I'm guilty of using DVI as there's a bug somewhere between Thunderbolt/DP and the rMBP. If I plug a DisplayPort => HDMI cable from my rMBP into one of my displays, it picks it up as a TV (thus no display options, overscan, and crap quality). If I plug it in with a DisplayPort => DVI then a DVI => HDMI it works fine. Somewhere something is (or maybe isnt) being transmitted with DVI that isnt being transmitted with HDMI.

Sounds like a nightmare.

poldidak

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Price compared to other docks

I was one of the people who spent $300 on a Bookendz dock for my 2008 MBP, and that was basically a passive pass-thru device since it still required a connection to every port on the laptop. But it made my life easier (until they changed the Mag-safe plug from T to L-shaped and I had to file a slot in plastic housing of the dock to make it work with the new connector!:eek:). In that sense the convenience of not having to plug 6 cables in each time was worth $300, even though it was not perfect (sometimes the pins on the video port would get slightly misaligned and mess up the external monitor signal:mad:) and was mostly just a hunk of machined aluminum and plastic.

Now that I'm on a 2011 MBP w/TB I'm back to plugging everything in manually. It actually has caused me to think twice about plugging my non-TB Apple display in every time and just use the laptop screen. And I don't always plug into my FW Time Machine drive to do auto b.u.

Since TB has to decode the stream for each port, it's understandable why they have to price it this high. Now, if the Belkin has glitches or has limits on data speed, no dice. At $300 it better work flawlessly out of the gate. How likely do any of you think that is possible?:p

That said, I think I'll just buy the Apple TB>FW adapter so I can get back to using my drives and FW audio interface with the Macbook Air I just bought for on-the-go music production. Try finding a TB-ready A/D interface!!!

Last edited:

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
If this is designed to be a laptop docking station, I don't think it has enough ports.

This thing seems to be limited and expensive. Meh.

Agreed - would like more USB, two would be fine as USB 1.0 or 2.0 for keyboard and mouse. One TB on the front would good for thumbdrives.

But I think many here would buy this today if we lost the firewire and gained another TB and enabled two displays. I'm assuming the TB>firewire adapter would still work for those who need it.

But at least this might hopefully be a solid TB product and not vaporware. Hopefully it will prod others to do better for more use cases.

______

Has nobody thought of making a modular hub? Just a bunch of bays that can be customized at the time of ordering?

Someone should just do a fake TB project where they simulate a product like that to see what people order. I'd take Ethernet, two downstream TBs, 2 USB 3.0 (one front facing), two USB 2.0, two USB 1.0 (side facing for keyboard + mouse), and call it a day. No need for audio or firewire. That would support my current to next year needs.

What do you need?

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Coming to a store near you ..... next year...ish.
That gives them til 2014-ish. Glastonbury see theses getting closer.

On a side note, there are a few companies that have dedicated Thunderbolt adapters. (Didn't ask how much) probably the most interesting are the ExpressCard adapters. Because Thunderbolt is PCI-E whatever ExpressCards added would be full speed. That also means you could get normal reasonably priced ExpressCard adapters. They are all just one card per Thunderbolt port though.

I'm thinking if somebody just added a dock full of 3-4 ExpressCard slots and 2-3 2.5" drive bays they could come in really cheap... After all none of these have Serial ports or AppleTalk!!!

defektion

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2010
I'd take this over the Matrox one as long as it's capable of outputting a resolution higher than 1080p :)

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Seriously... I'll be playing a new Duke Nukem before I see this thing...

Oh dear god, no.

----------

It's simple: Apple had a big incentive to invest in Thunderbolt early on. After all they did ship the first machines with the interface. It's just a big shame that other manufacturers aren't as motivated!

They just don't see money in it, this is why USB 3.0 took off and is super cheap now.

Of course, TB is a different interface, it's a hybrid and can become pretty much any port (it's an extension of PCIe)...but for what it does, it becomes more of a "premium" port rather than a standard one like USB. I wish that wasn't the case as the more users use it, the cheaper it becomes.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
The fundamental problem is that Thunderbolt is raw PCI-E so these are basically Half a PC motherboard... Unfortunately it's the "free" half that is usually supported by whatever motherboard-CPU interface chip you have. This is pushing companies to go out and buy a bunch of parts they were done using years ago... And for actual money. Just the cost of finding, buying, and gluing these all to a board is more work than building your average PC motherboard now... Thats what kicks the cost up before they even add Thunderbolt and Apple Markup to the thing.

That said, it really does redefine how computers are sold, because at this point Mac Mini style PCs are the way to go... No giant case, just add the adapter you need for legacy uses.

Laco

macrumors 6502
Apr 23, 2008
The thunderbolt controller itself costs Belkin $25 from Intel, and each usb 3.0 costs $5. Do you expect Belkin to take a loss?

With typical margins, you won't see anything thunderbolt for USB hub cheap. And you get what you pay for.

I'd say if this works for someone's needs it's a good purchase. Quibbling over a few hundred bucks over what it "should" cost is fine for people who don't actually need it, but that's just moralizing.

It is not "moralizing" it is a statement about how over-priced Thunderbolt is for the average user. Sure I have $300 to spend but why would I want to buy this when I can buy a USB 3.0 hub for under $30. That's my issue.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
It is not "moralizing" it is a statement about how over-priced Thunderbolt is for the average user. Sure I have $300 to spend but why would I want to buy this when I can buy a USB 3.0 hub for under $30. That's my issue.

Excuse the term moralizing... it's just when people into relative statements like "should" and "overpriced" that don't take into account things that are out of your control... such as specifying and pricing components that other people control, and that are the main factors that go into street price.

Just lower your standards or don't have standards and problem solved. If your USB hub is working for you, problem solved. If you need a TB hub, this might work for you then. But it won't be USB cheap.

Believe me, Belkin would like to price this competitively but their hands are tied. Someone could plug in some very demanding components into this hub and they need to have a solid device that can support them. You'll say, so does a USB hub, and I'll agree, but I'll say that USB is nicely limited in scope to data transfer that is handled by the CPU.

You could plug three USB enclosures and FW enclosure, and Ethernet and a TBD into this and it would probably smoke the a USB 3.0 hub trying to do the same (and the USB hub couldn't natively access LAN or a display). That's what you're paying for -- which is unfortunate for people who don't need to throw that kind of heat.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

Because this isnt a usb 3.0 hub. If you're trying to compare it to one you really have no use for this product.

Also, have you tried a USB 3.0 hub on the rMBP? They suck - big time. Very unreliable.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Because this isnt a usb 3.0 hub. If you're trying to compare it to one you really have no use for this product.

Also, have you tried a USB 3.0 hub on the rMBP? They suck - big time. Very unreliable.

Can you elaborate? Unreliable data speeds or anything more serious like mouse/keyboard problems? I can understand data speed fluctuation, as it's the CPU prioritizing things. It sucks nonetheless.

Apple just doesn't give us enough ports.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
Why on the earth this kind of devices should unrealistikly overprised?
For $299 you can buy a laptop with usb, HDMI, Ethernet, DVI maybr SD card reader, cpu, hdd, ram and other complex bits than this dock. Oh well, there is no TB though ;)

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
You're telling us that the iMac, which came out in August 1998, somehow had USB ports/technology before USB 1.0 was released in January 1996?

Ummmmmmm....

But regardless, My Win98 system (released before iMac) was using USB....and I am pretty sure my old Win95 Micron machine was using USB because I recall I didn't want to upgrade to Win98.

Oh jeeze.

The comment was not "Steve Jobs invented USB with his own two hands" it was "It was the first machine to really be using USB" I didn't even say "It was the first machine to use USB". I guess I should have bolded 'really'

There were USB cards, and a HANDFUL of USB equipped machines. But the iMac was the first machine in popular service to utilize USB, and it utilized it nearly exclusively, ditching many of the old connector standards.

At the time, most of the USB devices on the market were for Mac, were very expensive, etc. I know, I was a PC user at the time! I was excited about USB, but was upset that the cards were expensive, and the devices were initially limited. It only took a couple of months before it took off (so not as slow) but my point still was, I do remember conversations about how USB was 'dead' because it HAD been around since '96 (and we had heard about it before that), but by the iMacs introduction in 1998, there were still very few devices available. The iMacs USB keyboard and mouse, in fact, was one of the only options you had for a USB keyboard and mouse!

So folks said it was dead. Too expensive, taking too long to adopt, etc. Then, eventually, hardware and software changes and the old ports became too slow, and people migrated to USB out of necessity, due to it's robustness and speed. They didn't go to FireWire when it was released, despite it's incredible speed, because it didn't have the same friendliness with peripherals USB did. So USB took off.

Thunderbolt won't take off in that way, but it will remain relevant. However some seem to think it'll dethrone USB and we'll be left with 8 thunderbolt ports along the size of our MacBook Pro and nothing else. No, it'll live like FireWire. A cutting edge, top of the line, high speed data transfer port. FireWire WAS successful, just not in the consumer, low to mid grade PC market. It was the de facto standard for professionals who used a lot of external standard. Cheap digital video cameras used USB, mid and professional grade ones used FireWire, etc. Thunderbolt will be the same. USB will continue to be the consumer grade product which will work for most people most of the time, and those who demand performance and are willing to pay for it will use Thunderbolt, and it will live on!

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
It still doesn't cut down on cables since you still have to plug the cables in this dock. So instead of connecting it to your computer you connect it to the dock. It's a hub.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.