Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gizmo_pony

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
it seems my new 12" ibook becomes sluggish ... is there any programs like pc booster for windoze, work the same way with mac ? any tweaks to make my ibook flying ?

thank you ...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
One word... RAM

Tell us a little more about your iBook :rolleyes:
We need to know your setup

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Welcome to the Forum by the way :)

Are you running OSX?
Jaguar/Panther/Tiger?

What apps are you running?
Just a browser, email, basics, iLife?
Photoshop? FCP? Any hungry apps?

512 is probably the minimum to get by with...
Add as much as you can afford

I don't have a specific recommendation on brands, just get as much as you can afford...

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

gizmo_pony

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
MacDawg said:
Welcome to the Forum by the way :)

Are you running OSX?
Jaguar/Panther/Tiger?

What apps are you running?
Just a browser, email, basics, iLife?
Photoshop? FCP? Any hungry apps?

512 is probably the minimum to get by with...
Add as much as you can afford

I don't have a specific recommendation on brands, just get as much as you can afford...

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

i am using tiger ... i always use my ibook to browse, email and anything else related to internet ... and i listen to radio in itunes sometimes ...

sorry if i am too stupid to ask such question ... new to mac ...

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
You are definitely NOT stupid...

It is just always best to post as much information as you can that might be helpful so you can get the best answers possible.

With Tiger you could certainly use a RAM boost

And welcome to the Mac world... its a beautiful place

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
You need more RAM, I was feeling the same about my 14" 1.42GHz iBook w/ 512MB RAM then I ordered from Crucial, I highly reccomend them, and got a 1GB and got here the next day :D

My iBook flys.

gizmo_pony

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 11, 2005
lilstewart92 said:
You need more RAM, I was feeling the same about my 14" 1.42GHz iBook w/ 512MB RAM then I ordered from Crucial, I highly reccomend them, and got a 1GB and got here the next day :D

My iBook flys.

ermmm ... hv tried to buy the 1gb stick from crucial but it was on back order ..
:( ...

Lucky8

macrumors regular
May 18, 2005
Can you guys tell me which RAM do I need for my new iBook?
not brand, but type?
How many pin?
Buffered or Unbuffered?
Cas Latency?
ECC?
and so on....

Thanks in advance.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
If you use the link above for Crucial RAM, they have a very easy to use finder. Will be able to recommend the proper RAM for your iBook. They have a lifetime warranty.

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Try emptying the cache from Safari too. Maybe with a lot of surfing it is getting bogged down

AJ Muni

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2005
Miami
lilstewart92 said:

My iBook flys.

hey stewart i remember i recommended the ram for you...isnt it awesome now!!!1 its amazing how by adding more ram,you ibook gets on steroids....

londy

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2005
louisville, ky
does ram ever "expire"?

this may seem like an odd question, but does RAM ever "expire"? i ask because i plan to keep a bit of upgrade cushion present in my system. i'd like to get my ibook with 768MB RAM and then later, should it start to lag down the road a couple years, i'll be able to upgrade to a gig or a gig and a half. KWIM?

is this wise? or is it better to just go for the gusto and max it out? it seems like there would still come a point that the RAM would need to be upgraded or replaced. am i off-base here?

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
If this is a brand new iBook, then I guess you haven't filled your HD, yet, but you can still get some hints here. Especially reducing the number of Dashboard widgets would be noticeable with 512 MB RAM and a HD at 4200 rpm. :)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
gizmo_pony said:
ermmm ... hv tried to buy the 1gb stick from crucial but it was on back order ..
:( ...
Mine was on backorder too. I just waited and got it here yesterday.

Patience is a virtue. ;)

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
AJ Muni said:
hey stewart i remember i recommended the ram for you...isnt it awesome now!!!1 its amazing how by adding more ram,you ibook gets on steroids....

Stewart is my last name. hehe

Yeah, I ordered it, then was on backorder and shipped 2 days ago and got it yesterday :D

IT GOES SOOOOO FAST! :D

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Tiger is so resource hungry, but since 10.4.2 it's been a LITTLE better. Hey I can type with no lag right now on this powerbook g3 (look in sig for details)..

As for the G5, I am convincing dad to get more ram, the optical drive is already on it's way. :)

Oh and as for brands.. get any that isn't TOO cheap and has a lifetime warranty. :)

Steadmuffin

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2005
gizmo_pony said:
if it is cause by ram, what brand u recommend for me ? can i use kvr ram ?

If by KVR ram you mean Kingston Value Ram, no you cannot. This type of ram is not compatible with the iBook. I'm looking at up-ing the ram in my 1.33 ghz 12" iBook as well, to 1 gig total, and was looking at corsair and kingston value ram. I thought they would be great, but figured out they aren't compatible. Check out the thread I started about this here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.