Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I had an iPad 3 with a bright bluish-white screen similar to the iPad 2. I had difficulty finding an iPad 4 with a good screen. It took 4 tries because the first 3 had yellow tinting on various parts of the screen. The 4th has what I consider a perfect screen. It has no tints and is very bright, but the screen is a "warmer" and what I believe to be a more "correct" white. I think this screen with the retina display is far superior to the bright bluish white screen on the iPad 2, but that is just my preference. From my experience and from what I've read, it is unfortunately getting harder to get a great screen on these devices.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
You should give Anandtechs iPad reviews a look, they test pretty much everything about the screens. They make for interesting comparisons.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Hard to appreciate well balanced screen temps when the resolution is so inferior for many tasks. It's a damn shame that Apple doesn't just give user access to LCD calibration, similar to that available in system preferences in Mac OS.

Signor S.

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2011
I find the blacks on the iPad 3 particularly pop when you press the sleep button . . . . could just be me though.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Really? I never found a screen with a cool tint similar to the iPad 2. Same with the iPad 4 - all had *very* warm screens, that eventually I figured this was how all new iPads are going to be. The retina display is obviously superior as it is much crispier - but the tints bother me too much. I guess it's just me - I just wish there was a way to calibrate these screens cause while I appreciate the retina display in the iPad 3 + 4, the warm and red/green tint is distracting and makes me go back to my iPad 2 or calibrated Macbook Pro. This didn't seem to be a problem when the iPad 1 + 2 was released, unfortunately.

I got one of the first 3rd generation iPads - ordered online and picked up on launch day so maybe the earlier screens were different, but it was definitely bluish white like my iPad 2. Initially I had a hard time liking the warmer Samsung screen on my rMBP and then the iPad 4, but I learned to love the screen on the rMBP (and also the iPad 4 once I got one without yellow tints) and find them easier on the eyes. I understand your preference for the bluish white screen however and I definitely wouldn't accept a screen with red, green or yellow tints.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I liked the super white / cool tone of my iPad 2. It was similar tint to my iPhone 4. I sold the iPad 2 back in july and bought a 3. The 3 was allot warmer than my iPhone 4 as I no longer had the iPad 2 to compare to....

I eventually traded my first 3 in an a Genius bar visit refurbed one due to screen bleed (primarily hazy pink tones along bottom of screen) which caused the whiteness to not be uniform. My second iPad 3 had a cooler tone than the first and the colors were closer to the iPhone 4, only a tad bit more vibrant. I typically ran my iPhone 4 around 50 to 75% brightness to acheive what I could get at 30% or so on my iPad 3.

Since getting an iPhone 5, which is even more vibrant than the iPhone 4 and saturated too, I now think the iPad 3 I have is allot cooler tone than others I've seen.

Even a new iPad Mini had the similar saturation as my iPhone 5. I like it, don't get me wrong, but it seems a bit too yellow when compared to my nice looking iPad 3 display.

PattyMc

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2012
I have an iPad 4 generation with a cool white temperature. Not sure why this one has the cooler screen when most I have seen has the warmer. I like it though!

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Quite nonsensical to insult the OP for stating a personal preference.

What's it to you if he/she is happy with a non-retina screen?

I'm happy with the non-retina screen. But I'd be much happier with the retina screen because in almost every way it is superior (power being the primary drawback).

So it isn't really an insult to call the OP crazy because the technology behind retina is solid and the flaws he sees are due to poor color calibration and manufacturer issues that are not necessarily going to be present in the retina mini.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I have an iPad 2, 3 and mini, and while the 3 is warmer than 2, I got used to the warmer tint quickly. Now both the mini and 2's colors feel duller than the 3. Tint aside, the colors just seem to "pop" more on the 3 -- black is blacker, blue is bluer, red and green are more red and green, etc. I don't even know if the mini has the same tint as the 2 or not, because all I notice is that the colors seem dull.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
It doesn't matter to me. I have an iPad 2 and the color palette is cooler where my iPad 3 has a warmer hue. I like both looks and if you do a side by side comparison they are not that far off.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I actually prefer my iPad 2 a bit more than my iPad 4 -- mostly because of the drawbacks the Retina Display brought to the iPad.

Don't get me wrong, I like the crisper text and in general, the color and saturation of the display.

I don't like the weight, thickness and additional charge time Retina brought along with it.

I have an iPad Mini as well, and I think it's a great screen. The pixel density is higher than iPad 2 (pixels per inch) and the battery, size, and weight are really optimal.

For typing and creative work though, I like the full-sized iPad. I'm hoping that the next generation will have an improved screen that cuts down on the size, weight and power requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.