Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gotoma

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Hi everyone. I currently own a note 2 (had the original note too) and a 4th gen iPad and I was thinking of replacing the iPad with a mini for the better portability. I have little complaints with the size/weight of the iPad 4 since I use it 99% of the time at home, but I thought that a more portable iPad will be more convenient. My only fear is that the screen size difference between the note 2 and the mini might not be worth having both.
The obvious solution might be to sell the note since it now feels to small to me and I no longer feel like gaming or browsing much on it (screw you iOS, after few weeks with my iPad 4 I'm starting to see lag and frame drops everywhere on Android). However, I don't want to go through the hasstle of selling the phone and looking for a replacement right now.
Long story short, anyone owns a note and a mini ? Do you feel like they're redundant or something ?

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
I see it like this:

iPad Mini + Note 2 = NO

iPad 4 + Note 2 = YES

iPad 4 + iPhone 5 = BEST

iPad Mini + iPhone 5 = OK

S

syd430

I see it like this:

iPad Mini + Note 2 = NO

iPad 4 + Note 2 = YES

iPad 4 + iPhone 5 = BEST

Having owned all of these devices, I'd agree that the 3rd one down the list is optimal for most people, whether they realise it or not. Again, not everyone, but most people.

I can't understand the obsession carrying around your ipad like a phone, when you already have something like an iphone 5 or a nexus 4 / GS III.

Maybe it boils down to the Mini being a new product line?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I have a Note 2 and iPad Mini.

You get more than twice the viewing area with the iPad Mini.

I find the Note 2 too big as a phone and too small as a tablet. I prefer the size of my iPhone 4S as a phone.

Haven't been using my Note 2 much. In the last 2 weeks I just turn it on to download the lastest update and that's about it.

I'm really hoping for a 7.9" Galaxy Note to replace my iPad Mini and Note 2.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
I can't understand the obsession carrying around your ipad like a phone, when you already have something like an iphone 5 or a nexus 4 / GS III.

As a current user of a Nexus 4 and 7, I'll speak to some of the advantages of having both.

1. Battery life. As far as I know, pretty much every smartphone (Note II being an exception) has barely adequate battery life ... at best. Using the N4 as a hotspot, and the N7 as the display for much of the time, greatly extends the amount of actual use time you get between having to plug in somewhere.

2. Viewing Quality. Perhaps some people prefer reading on a smaller screen, but I'm not one of them (I suspect they're a minority). Reading, looking at GPS maps/navigation etc., is just plain better on a larger screen -- along with hearing audio, such as turning directions.

3. Security Nuisance Factor. I've given up on trying to use a secure password on the N4's keyboard, and settled on a long pin -- even that's a pain. I have the N7 set up with two user accounts:
One just uses a simple pattern lock and no user information -- Easy to get to navigation and the internet.
The other account has my personal data, and is covered by a long pin.
It's nice being able to get to a lot of functions, while still being pretty secure.

Sticking both devices into pockets and heading out the door, is really no challenge at all -- I see having both as only a plus. The tablet adds a a lot, but you aren't tied to using it at all -- you can take it or leave it and the phone still works the same.

It might be helpful to think of these different size devices as clothing -- where you add or drop layers for different environments.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Using both the Note II along with a Playbook and Nexus 7, I see no issue having an iPad Mini, especially since it's also a bigger device. I personally find the regular iPad to be way too big to be portable but that's just me.

cfs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
As a current user of a Nexus 4 and 7, I'll speak to some of the advantages of having both.

1. Battery life. As far as I know, pretty much every smartphone (Note II being an exception) has barely adequate battery life ... at best. Using the N4 as a hotspot, and the N7 as the display for much of the time, greatly extends the amount of actual use time you get between having to plug in somewhere.

2. Viewing Quality. Perhaps some people prefer reading on a smaller screen, but I'm not one of them (I suspect they're a minority). Reading, looking at GPS maps/navigation etc., is just plain better on a larger screen -- along with hearing audio, such as turning directions.

3. Security Nuisance Factor. I've given up on trying to use a secure password on the N4's keyboard, and settled on a long pin -- even that's a pain. I have the N7 set up with two user accounts:
One just uses a simple pattern lock and no user information -- Easy to get to navigation and the internet.
The other account has my personal data, and is covered by a long pin.
It's nice being able to get to a lot of functions, while still being pretty secure.

Sticking both devices into pockets and heading out the door, is really no challenge at all -- I see having both as only a plus. The tablet adds a a lot, but you aren't tied to using it at all -- you can take it or leave it and the phone still works the same.

It might be helpful to think of these different size devices as clothing -- where you add or drop layers for different environments.

Sorry to invade the thread but how did you score a Nexus 4? Been looking for an unlocked one for a while and always out of stock.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Sorry to invade the thread but how did you score a Nexus 4? Been looking for an unlocked one for a while and always out of stock.

I got mine in under 48 hours after placing the order. It was either just dumb luck, or perhaps that my delivery address was a temporary one -- Guest at Extended Stay America.

It sounds like availability might start improving, so good luck!

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
To be honest, the perfect combinatiin for me as a student would be a 4" cell phone, a 7" tablet and a 11" laptop.

I'm getting my iPhone 5 this week to replace the old 4S and I already have a 11" Macbook Air (2012). Now I just need a tablet in the middle. The iPad Mini is too big as i want something more portable, so I'm probably gonna get a Nexus 7 sometime in the following weeks. This is the ideal combinatiin for me. I also have a laptop PC with a 15,6" screen which I only use at home. I mainly use it for PC games, cause the rest of the gaming goes to the consoles.

This entire eco-system works great for me, as each device completes another.

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
I've tried all combos, for me the note 2 and iPad 4 worked best, both ecosystems, screen size difference enough to warrant having both devices. The mini is fine for its intended purposes (a watered down iPad that does most of what people want)

Sme people like to chose camps and go either ndroid or apple and defend it to the bitter end, I like to use both, have acces to both markets, have access to twice as many apps as the 1 brand folks, but to each their own.

Prior to buying the note 2, my iPhone didn't get much use outside of a regular phone which I checked email occasionally and made few calls, new GN2 gets more use as a smartphone as I like playing with android, but still prefer iOS to me as well.

----------

I see it like this:

iPad Mini + Note 2 = NO
agreed
iPad 4 + Note 2 = YES
agreed
iPad 4 + iPhone 5 = BEST
disagreed, for me it just just too much of a muchness, same Ols OS, same phone give or take (coming from a 4S)

disagree I think the mini (although most will be iPhone users) and a basic smartphone would be more ideal

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
iPad Mini + Note 2 = NO
Why a NO? this seems like a reasonable combination for someone who wants the iPad features in a smaller form factor than a 10" iPad. It really doesn't matter what screen size the Note has since it's different software.
I see this combo as more than 'OK'.

The layout of how a lot of apps display is different on the iPad. I find it easier to read books on the Mini.

Also, I'd hate to have drained my phone battery. At least if you drain the Mini you still have a phone to use.

For me, a smart phone would need to have about 18 hours (at least) of battery use time before I would stop worrying about draining the battery using it for other functions than a phone

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Why a NO? this seems like a reasonable combination for someone who wants the iPad features in a smaller form factor than a 10" iPad. It really doesn't matter what screen size the Note has since it's different software.
I see this combo as more than 'OK'.

The layout of how a lot of apps display is different on the iPad. I find it easier to read books on the Mini.

Also, I'd hate to have drained my phone battery. At least if you drain the Mini you still have a phone to use.

For me, a smart phone would need to have about 18 hours (at least) of battery use time before I would stop worrying about draining the battery using it for other functions than a phone

Yeah, I have the original Note and an iPad 2. One of these days, I will give the iPad 2 to my girlfriend and get the mini. It's a perfect complement to the Note.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I have iPhone 4S and iPad 3 and Sony Vaio 11 inch. This is a great combi and combined all are lighter and thinner together than one Dell 12 inch notebook I used to take with me.

iPhone is for calls mainly, iPad is for reading emails, browsing, games, Sony Vaio is for preparing presentations. I prepared on iPad as well using Keynote, while it was OK, I preferred notebook - more options.

Having said that, I am planning to further reduce my load by substituting iPad 3 by iPad mini and maybe Vaio by Macbook air, now that will be true heaven!

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
I've already said it like 3 times before, but it all depends on what you need.

I need a phone with good performance, easy to carry around - iPhone 4S/5

I need a tablet easy to carry around the house with solid performance - Nexus 7

I need a laptop for school to take with me every day - Macbook Air 11"

I need a bigger laptop or desktop for home use - Asus laptop (very quick)

I need solid gaming experiences - Xbox360 & PS3

This is my eco-system and it has worked great for me. Some say there are too many devices, some like them bigger and so on. I wouldn't change the size in any of them.

So the sizes I have are 3.5" < 7" < 11" < 15.6" < 50"

PS: I'll be getting the Nexus 7 next week so I don't actually own it yet. It's replacing my iPad 2.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
i have an ipad and note 2, the note is just a large phone, at home i want to browse on a tablet and i would prefer the mini (i think) over the ipad but the fact its not retina and not with the latest cpu is putting me off. Why does it have to be cheaper option just because its smaller? anyway Im happy with my ipad so ill stick with it for now and i also have mac computers and apple tv, i think going back to iphone would be too much and i find it a good mix.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.