Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
Available for everyone in late 2013 or Apple in late 2013?

More likely everyone in 2013, Apple in 2014. Or just another rev in a short span if Apple does do it in 2013 and people whine instead of celebrating the increasing speed and efficiency of tech upgrades.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
This is now AndroidTrollingRumors, they just haven't gotten around to updating the URL.

Just looked at the front page. Of the 20 articles displayed, a simple 'control f' search of "Android" will show it is literally mentioned twice. Get off your high horse

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
What kills me is that apple doesn't offer any products in the sweet spot!

Laptops - for me, around 14" is just right. 13.3 on the MBP13 is too small, and the 15" is just too large.
Apple can't offer every size for everyone, it's the reason they dropped the 17".

iMac - why the hell do they jump from 21.5" to 27"? There are tons of 24" screens out there that would be way more affordable and are a great compromise.

Because if the 24" was the same price as the 21.5" then it would be too close to the 27" and since no one makes a bigger LCD for desk to Apple is stuck with 27" right now. But I must agree after going from a 21.5" to 24" LCD (on my G5 tower) I wouldn't go back now and can't wait for my 27" iMac to arrive.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
"With the company putting its efforts behind touch-capable ultrabooks, there could be increased pressure on Apple to release a touch-enabled notebook -- something it has resisted thus far"

Just because MS takes a dump and gives us win8 means we all want gorilla arm syndrome and touch screen laptops? No.

Until Apple releases one. Then it will be brilliant. :eek:

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
If there's a processor that could offer 13-hour battery life on a MacBook Air, it looks like I know when I will think about getting one.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
No. I do not understand why companies think a touch screen laptop makes sense — it doesn't. The prospect seems cool, but it's a gimmick. Steve Jobs explained it himself:

Touch screen laptops are a bad move. Cool at first, pointless later (or when your arm gets tired).

EDIT: I could, however, see Apple doing a touchscreen iMac that swivels down to a level, horizontal surface. Like they patented, here:

Steve also said a 7" tablet was pointless.

Virinprew

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Actually... that is kinda ridiculous. Size is not THAT relevant unless your eyes are really bad. It all comes down to resolution.
And NO one needs a 14" notebook that has the same resolution as a 13.3" one.

Same goes for the iMac... what resolution would a 24" iMac have? 1080p?
Alrdy got that in the 21.5". So what would you get? More real estate? No. Better image/display quality? No. It would actually be worse.
AND you'd lose space on your desk.

A different size is meaningless if it doesn't bring any new utility to the table!
You may disagree with me... but I believe this to be (part of) Apple's reasoning.

The size is relevant. Bigger screen means you can sit further and get fewer photons hitting your eyes. It hurts you know. :D

OK let's be serious. You will become short-sight if you look very close to the screen.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Haswell coming in June or late 2013/early2014 ???

http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/07/intel-shoots-for-a-faster-mid-year-launch-of-haswell-processor-for-next-generation-ultrabooks/

Venturebeat implies in this article that one of the intel reps said haswell chips for ultrabooks are coming this June. So which is it?

Macrumors could you please provide a source for the late 2013/early 2014 date? I'm not saying I don't believe you but I was assuming that Haswell MBAs were coming in summer 2013. If their not coming out until the end of the year or later that significantly alters my purchase plans.

I just bought a 2012 MBA that has some uneven backlighting. Not a huge deal but if I can return it and wait 6 months for a better computer I think I might do that. I can't wait a year though...

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Apple is not about compromise, as you state in your post, but rather, the things that are going to differentiate them the most, and even more, will allow them to build the biggest profit into each product they manufacture and sell. Those specs you list may be right for you, Goldilocks (sorry!), but the more versions of a product a company makes, the less that company will make in profit.

The mere fact that there are tons of screens out there that are 24" says something about the market (i.e. Apple can't make an adequate profit from people wanting and/or needing 24" screens, since there are so many options already available).

Tons of 24'' out there means there's demand for that screen size. Would also mean lower manufacturing costs. Would be no problem for Apple to sell that screen size. I am one of those who aren't ready to deal with an iMac because I feel 21.5'' is too small, and 27'' is too big. A 24'' would be perfect, and as already pointed out, is a very popular size because of that...

I do think product differentiation comes into play though, as you mentioned. If Apple had a 24'' and 27'', they could be filled with the same hardware. Given a smaller sized one, Apple can differentiate it more by having the excuse that it's smaller size prevents it from having the best graphics card, CPU, etc, due to thermal limitations. As an example.

It's the only reason I see why they make the size gap between them so big. In the end, it's me as a consumer that suffers, because I do hate these kind of artificial limitations that only exist because a certain company exercises product diffentiations to the max. But... Apple also don't get my money because of this.

thundersteele

macrumors 68030
Oct 19, 2011
Switzerland
http://venturebeat.com/2013/01/07/intel-shoots-for-a-faster-mid-year-launch-of-haswell-processor-for-next-generation-ultrabooks/

Venturebeat implies in this article that one of the intel reps said haswell chips for ultrabooks are coming this June. So which is it?

Macrumors could you please provide a source for the late 2013/early 2014 date? I'm not saying I don't believe you but I was assuming that Haswell MBAs were coming in summer 2013. If their not coming out until the end of the year or later that significantly alters my purchase plans.

macrumors is the only news page that quotes the late 2013/2014 schedule. Like the link you posted, also other news pages quote a june 2013 availability for (some) haswell based laptops.

Ahmahzahn

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2010
I watched the livestream for the Intel keynote... absolutely no mention of "late 2013/2014. MacRumors might be speculating about the ULV 7w Ivy Bridge equivalent for Haswell, or they just have better sources than anyone else...

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
"With the company putting its efforts behind touch-capable ultrabooks, there could be increased pressure on Apple to release a touch-enabled notebook -- something it has resisted thus far"

Just because MS takes a dump and gives us win8 means we all want gorilla arm syndrome and touch screen laptops? No.

You do know you don't have to use the tpuchscreen at all right? Its an input option for those that want it. You can use a mouse, trackpad, or even just the keyboard shortcuts if you so desire.

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

Indeed. I love these "me-too never-to-be-successful future designs" whose ONLY meaning is:

"We have copied Apple...two years later."

----------

You do know you don't have to use the tpuchscreen at all right? Its an input option for those that want it. You can use a mouse, trackpad, or even just the keyboard shortcuts if you so desire.

Does a lint-free cloth qualify as an input device? ;)

apple-win

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2012
Lenovo A720

No. I do not understand why companies think a touch screen laptop makes sense — it doesn't. The prospect seems cool, but it's a gimmick. Steve Jobs explained it himself:

Touch screen laptops are a bad move. Cool at first, pointless later (or when your arm gets tired).

EDIT: I could, however, see Apple doing a touchscreen iMac that swivels down to a level, horizontal surface. Like they patented, here:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/...D5C768B9E1755A7FBA0581A037E8&tabname=Features

junctionscu

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
LATE 2013 or 2014? For Haswell? Not cool, so 9 months to a year? Ouch. Those defective retina mbp screens are starting to look like a better option than waiting--don't know if I can wait another year.

Waiting until June-July, ok, but until NEXT winter?

Like others have mentioned in this forum, I believe the late 2013/early 2014 dates are referring to the Haswell equivalent of the sub-10W version of the chip (like the Ivy Bridge versions discussed today). Everyone else is saying that the "regular" Haswell would be mid-2012 or on the same schedule as Ivy Bridge was last year.

I wonder if Apple will decide to use the super low power version of Ivy Bridge or Haswell. Would it go in a MBA?

MathiasVH

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2009
So do you think all of the iPad users out there that use the iPad to create media, type notes, and use productivity software with and without an attachable keyboard also have "gorilla arm syndrome"? Or are you just bashing MS because it's the "fun thing to do"?

Just curious...in your opinion, what exactly is the difference between using a touchscreen laptop and an iPad with a keyboard attachment?

The OS itself is built around touch. If you are to use it the way it's meant to be used, it's by navigating with your fingers - In hand or in dock, it doesn't matter. Sure, you can use the mouse, but that wasn't the intention with Windows 8 and if users don't use your OS the way you designed it to be, you fail. Simple as that. MS fails.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
The OS itself is built around touch. If you are to use it the way it's meant to be used, it's by navigating with your fingers - In hand or in dock, it doesn't matter. Sure, you can use the mouse, but that wasn't the intention with Windows 8 and if users don't use your OS the way you designed it to be, you fail. Simple as that. MS fails.

Are you high? It works great with a mouse. It was made to be finger friendly, but that doesn't mean it isn't mouse friendly too. Microsoft made a versatile OS, just because you choose to use it in a way that doesn't suit you doesn't make it a failure.

GregAndonian

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2010
Apple should make a light (400 to 600 g) Mac as small as possible (7 to 9-inches or so). Whatever form factor (clamshell, slider or tablet). Not for heavy work. Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always.

I find it hillarious that there was a story on here not too long ago about how the whole "Netbook" industry was about to shut down, thanks to the proliferation of the iPad- And now you want Apple to create a netbook... :confused:

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.