Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I have tried a lot but I haven't been able to figure out a way to have settings and the dialer app tow work with me in landscape when the phone is in landscape mode. The phone continues to be in portrait mode even when physically in landscape mode.
Looks very odd when it does that in the car dock and I am driving.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I have tried a lot but I haven't been able to figure out a way to have settings and the dialer app tow work with me in landscape when the phone is in landscape mode. The phone continues to be in portrait mode even when physically in landscape mode.
Looks very odd when it does that in the car dock and I am driving.

Settings and phone do not rotate to landscape mode, ever. The only apple stock apps I can think of that do are safari, messages, music, calendar and mail.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Oh what a shame. So apple expects us to use the iPhone in this mode while driving in a car ? It has to be better than this

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Well yes I can use Siri for that but then here's a practical case.
I am on say interstate 5 and my next turn is 20 miles away. So the phone automatically shuts off and around 2 miles before the turn it wakes up by itself to announce the turn. At that time it just comes up with a screen with unlock slider looking like vertical slider and the maps fallen to the side while it announces the turn. Looks very funny. Don't tell me you haven't seen or noticed this. I am surprised how come this is not noticed.
Any suggestions ?

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Well yes I can use Siri for that but then here's a practical case.
I am on say interstate 5 and my next turn is 20 miles away. So the phone automatically shuts off and around 2 miles before the turn it wakes up by itself to announce the turn. At that time it just comes up with a screen with unlock slider looking like vertical slider and the maps fallen to the side while it announces the turn. Looks very funny. Don't tell me you haven't seen or noticed this. I am surprised how come this is not noticed.
Any suggestions ?

Plug in a car charger and the screen wont shut off?

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Plug in a car charger and the screen wont shut off?

Well these are just workarounds.
I like the way my screen shuts off when the music continues on Bluetooth over car speakers and my next exit is like 80miles away. The screen shuts off and then automatically comes back up when I am 2 miles before my exit along with a announcement. At that time is what I am talking about - the upright slider and the fallen screen.

stuaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
I always have my phone plugged in if I am using it as a Sat Nav (And in portrait mode, never landscape) so not a problem for me.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Op your time will be better spent training yourself to like ^ this view, then trying to find a fix for your issue with it.

Yup, I am on it. Trying to get used to this view now.
But it's better than seeing the pull up scroll unlock :)
Gosh, this is like an incomplete implementation in iOS 6.

Thanks anyways

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Yup, I am on it. Trying to get used to this view now.
But it's better than seeing the pull up scroll unlock :)
Gosh, this is like an incomplete implementation in iOS 6.

Thanks anyways

I have several Map apps Waze, MotionX and Apple maps and all of those i prefer in portrait mode. Good luck.

----------

it's a cell phone

Useless comment. It's clearly more than just a phone.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, he did not say it's "Only" a cell phone :D

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Seriously, nobody finds this a problem ?
Nope. If it's a deal-breaker for you I know that there are Android devices that will do this. You need to select solutions that meet your needs and requirements.

The GPS receiver on any device will chew through batteries so I'd recommend powering it as well.

araje

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
it's a cell phone
Hopefully you don't use it as just a cell phone

----------

Nope. If it's a deal-breaker for you I know that there are Android devices that will do this. You need to select solutions that meet your needs and requirements.

The GPS receiver on any device will chew through batteries so I'd recommend powering it as well.

Well I actually came from the android world. On interstates I prefer portrait mode and in cities landscape helps since you get a better left and right view. But it's okay, there was no harm in asking. I am now trying to get used to the view.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.