Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MickeyT

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Newcastle, United Kingdom
I get basic data types, and I get classes. When dealing with data types, you're dealing with the actual data. With classes, you're only dealing with the pointer to the data.

Where do structures come into it and why are they needed? Wouldn't a class work well enough if more than one piece of data formed part of the object?

I have reached some exercises in a book I have which seeks to render a user's location on a map, and adds annotations etc. Quite a few arguments that are passed to the MKMapView or a CLLocationManager seem to be these things, and I'm just not sure I get the role they play as a holder of data in the same way I understand basic data types and classes.

Also, how are you meant to know if something is a structure - is there a naming convention or are you just meant to know from the documentation and the absence of the * when declaring them?

And finally, when passing arguments to something and those arguments sit within () brackets, is this the syntax for structures (as in structures use (), whilst classes use [] as part of the method calling syntax)? So, for example, is NSLog a structure?

Thank you

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
1, to make it much easier to port apps from e.g. C. Socket programming, for example, makes HEAVY use of structs.

2, structure instances are much more lightweight than true class instances - there is absolutely no overhead in memory when using them, unlike with true objects.

3, they work exactly the same way as classes BUT can't incorporate methods, just data fields and have no fine-grained protection / visibility constraints / inheritance either.

(Actually, when it comes to the first and third in this list,

1, classes are generalizations of structs with additional methods inside. This is how, BTW, I teach the basics of OOP - starting with structs, explaining that classes are generally (physically) no more than structs with additional executable code in them etc.

2, how inheritance works physically (how the struct instances look like on the stack / in the heap) and the lack of restrictive inheritance resulting in type compatibility you can always depend on in both Java and Objective-C (as opposed to C++, where it's not guaranteed as C++ does support restrictive inheritance) can be very nicely shown by using structs. I just love structs when it comes to teaching OOP for C folks - they allow for explaining OOP really easy without any abstract stuff most OOP textbooks love to use (car + wheels, house + windows etc.).
)

Also see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2750270/c-c-struct-vs-class for more info

Last edited:

solderguy1

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
Historically, C supported structures before Obj-C and C++ were created to use classes. It's not like structures and classes suddenly appeared together.
I've seen one IOS game developing book recommend using structures over classes whenever possible if you're trying for 60fps graphics. The author said classes had too much messaging overhead.

MickeyT

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
I just love structs when it comes to teaching OOP for C folks - they allow for explaining OOP really easy without any abstract stuff most OOP textbooks love to use (car + wheels, house + windows etc.).

Yes, those sorts of examples are exactly how I picked up OOP and, to be honest, it did turn out to be understandable.

So, can I think of structs as classes without methods, and that they're the actual data rather than pointers?

I followed one particular struct (MKCoordinateRegion) through to find out what data types its contained data members were. They were also all structs until I eventually reached CLLocationDegrees, which is just a double. I don't think this is a struct, because it just says:

Code:
typedef double CLLocationDegrees;

What is the point - why not just stop at the next level up (a struct called MKCoordinateSpan) and have that contain just doubles?

----------

And thank you for the link - I'll read when I get home this evening.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Yes, those sorts of examples are exactly how I picked up OOP and, to be honest, it did turn out to be understandable.

Yup, this is why I too use them to teach OOP for purely C (or Pascal) folks. The "abstract" approaches (the ones most OOP textbooks use) are pretty hard to grasp if you have a strong C or other knowledge of procedural programming languages.

So, can I think of structs as classes without methods, and that they're the actual data rather than pointers?

Yup, they can be stored on the stack (as a local variable) and can be, consequently, accessed w/o using pointers. (They can also be put on the heap with the standard malloc calls too.)

I followed one particular struct (MKCoordinateRegion) through to find out what data types its contained data members were. They were also all structs until I eventually reached CLLocationDegrees, which is just a double. I don't think this is a struct, because it just says:

Code:
typedef double CLLocationDegrees;

What is the point - why not just stop at the next level up (a struct called MKCoordinateSpan) and have that contain just doubles?.

It's more understandable this way. If you look at the declaration, you immediately know it's some kind of a coordinate. Of course, you can always use simple doubles instead of CLLocationDegrees but it won't be as instructive for people reading your source code.

MickeyT

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Okay, I think I understand. And I suppose using structs inside classes is pointless because you would normally have properties where the name of the accessor method would be the giveaway as to what the basic data type was meant to represent?

So, please could I also just briefly clarify the syntax. Are these made up examples essentially equivalent, albeit one is a class and one is a struct:

Code:
MyClass *classInstance = [[MyClass alloc] initWithAnInt:anInt andADouble:aDouble];

MyStruct structData = MyStruct(anInt, aDouble);

MickeyT

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
And I suppose using structs inside classes is pointless because you would normally have properties where the name of the accessor method would be the giveaway as to what the basic data type was meant to represent?

Actually, forget that bit. I'm not sure I agree with myself now after thinking about it......Hmmm.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Okay, I think I understand. And I suppose using structs inside classes is pointless because you would normally have properties where the name of the accessor method would be the giveaway as to what the basic data type was meant to represent?

So, please could I also just briefly clarify the syntax. Are these made up examples essentially equivalent, albeit one is a class and one is a struct:

Code:
MyClass *classInstance = [[MyClass alloc] initWithAnInt:anInt andADouble:aDouble];

MyStruct structData = MyStruct(anInt, aDouble);

1. The latter should read

struct MyStruct structData ={anInt, aDouble};

where you can leave the leading "struct" if you typedef the struct by, say, "typedef struct GenericStruct MyStruct;"

2. structs created this way are on the stack (as opposed to being on the heap - see the alloc + init method call pair) and, therefore, should not be referenced after the current method is finished (don't assign their address to any global variable / property for later access). This is a major difference between "first-class" objects (instantiated from true classes) and struct variables.

MickeyT

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Okay, thanks. I'm a bit confused then - this is an example from the programme in the book when a struct is created for use in moving and zooming the map:

Code:
MKCoordinateRegion region = MKCoordinateRegionMakeWithDistance(loc, 250, 250);

For information, loc is a CLLocationCoordinate2D (a struct!!:)).

MKCoordinateRegionMakeWithDistance is followed by () containing arguments, which is why I used them in my example. But actually, I think maybe MKCoordinateRegionMakeWithDistance is a function and not a struct - am I right? If I recall correctly, MKCoordinateRegionMakeWithDistance was denoted with an "f" in the Apple documentation.

If so, what owns the function? What am I calling when I use a function (as opposed to a method which I understand belongs to either the class or the class instance)?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
But actually, I think maybe MKCoordinateRegionMakeWithDistance is a function and not a struct - am I right? If I recall correctly, MKCoordinateRegionMakeWithDistance was denoted with an "f" in the Apple documentation.

Yup, it's a function. You can't create struct variables with the () notation - there isn't anything like a constructor for pure structs.

(BTW, there are a lot of other, similar helper MK* functions in iOS / OS X programming. They generally also return struct variables.)

----------

If so, what owns the function? What am I calling when I use a function (as opposed to a method which I understand belongs to either the class or the class instance)?

It's in the standard library of iOS - in the MapKit framework, declared in the MKGeometry.h / MKOverlayView.h headers. You just add the framework & import those headers in your app and you're set.

MickeyT

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
Thank you very much.

So, to close this one down for the meantime (I sense I haven't seen the last of this), for novice-level stuff that I am grappling with currently is it pretty safe to say that I can create any structs that I need using functions provided or which are returned from class methods, and that, in addition, I just need to understand the "no pointers, no methods" idea for now?

Sticking structs on the heap was something else intriguing you said, but I think I'll leave that alone for the moment...........

Again, I'm very appreciative of your help.

PhoneyDeveloper

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2008
structs allow developers to create their own data types. Consider CGPoint and CGRect. It's hard to imagine doing computer graphics without point and rectangle data types, but these types are not fundamental to the computer language, so need to be created by the developers who developed the graphics API. You could imagine that the point and rectangle data types could be classes rather than structs, and probably in some OOP languages or graphics APIs these types are classes. On iOS Core Graphics is a C API, mostly, so these types need to be C constructs, which leaves only structs. You could also imagine that everyplace where the graphics APIs need points and rects that they just take two or four float values as parameters. That would be error prone and ugly.

typedef and enum also allow the developer to create their own data types. Creating your own data type serves mostly heuristic value but since it allows you to make your code simpler and easier to understand this is very important.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
typedef also allows Apple to modify how the API works without breaking code that uses it. IE, they can change a typedef int to a typedef long, and your code needs not change anything as long as you were using their typedef types all along.

MickeyT

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
structs allow developers to create their own data types. Consider CGPoint and CGRect. It's hard to imagine doing computer graphics without point and rectangle data types, but these types are not fundamental to the computer language, so need to be created by the developers who developed the graphics API. You could imagine that the point and rectangle data types could be classes rather than structs, and probably in some OOP languages or graphics APIs these types are classes.

typedef and enum also allow the developer to create their own data types.

Right, okay, that helps to make more sense. The mention of enumerators in particular has made me realise that I have perhaps been using something similar already. In Excel VBA, the options for setting certain parameters are often enumerators, usually prefixed with "xl". For example, xlLineStyle (which I think is used in changing cell borders) is enumerated into xlContinuous, xlDash, xlDashDot, etc. But these appear to be just integer values. xlContinuous is a 1, xlDash is -4145, xlDashdot a 4.

So actually, it seems like these are a bit like the CLLocationDegrees I mentioned earlier on (in that they contain just a number), and that perhaps a struct is like xlLineStyle (in that xlLineStyle effectively contains 8 variables that are just integers)? If this is in any way broadly similar, then I think I've got it because I use enumerators a lot to restrict something to certain values where there are more than 2 possibilities (I would just use a Boolean otherwise).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.