Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2011
Hi Guys, Im in a really sticky situation.
I have a Late 2010 Macbook Air with 10.6.8 on it. I just have the Macbook thats it. No usbs installs, discs or anything. I want to factory reset everything, and reinstall OSX, but the macbook has disk utility deleted and terminal... I download Pacifist, but apparently you need the installation disc?!?! I am extremely tired and frustrated with this issue, could SOMEONE please help me? Thanks so Much

shek

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
You can buy one for $29 - or if you go to an Apple store you can ask them to do it for you.

JonLa

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2009
Have a look in the App Store and see if Snow Leopard is there as an already installed App - if so then there's a way to download the installation file, and add it to a bought USB drive and make it into an installation USB.

Otherwise the best way would be to buy Mountain Lion (or Lion) and do the same thing - make an installation drive and boot.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Hi Guys, Im in a really sticky situation.
I have a Late 2010 Macbook Air with 10.6.8 on it. I just have the Macbook thats it. No usbs installs, discs or anything. I want to factory reset everything, and reinstall OSX, but the macbook has disk utility deleted and terminal... I download Pacifist, but apparently you need the installation disc?!?! I am extremely tired and frustrated with this issue, could SOMEONE please help me? Thanks so Much

shek

for this situation only (not promoting piracy) i would reccommend a certain website if you get my drift. You can easily make a bootable usb stick. Message me if you need any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

seveej

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2009
Helsinki, Finland
Hi OP,

There was a thread here somewhere (but can't find it right now). The gist of it was that as Apple sells no Mac without a macOS license, you can always call apple, and they'll supply you with an replacement installation medium (the proverbial grey disk) for your machine (the same it shipped with). I can't remember what they bill you for it, but less than for a new SL license.

Maybe you could get them to give it to you on an USB stick, but even if you only get it on DVD, you'd be one step closer, and if you intend to sell the machine, the buyer would appreciate it as well.

RGDS,

jmazzamj

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
My 2010 MBP came with the disc. Are you sure you didn't get it and its just hidden somewhere? I can reset mine to 10.6.3 at any point and redownload 10.8.

2010 Airs came with a usb stick which I can't find either...
I recently sold my sister's 2010 Mac but still, it would be nice to have it.

carrie.apple

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2015
So if I go to the Apple store and buy a USB, do I boot up the computer with the USB thumb drive in? My old Macbook Air is stuck at the spinning wheel.

thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.