Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bunger

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 1, 2007
My super sweet 27" iMac arrived yesterday and it is replacing my mid-2007 24" iMac. I have it setup and rolling, but have noticed the display is significantly different from the previous model. Specifically, the whites appear to be very bright and harsh ( almost florescent in nature ). I have tried to bring down brightness and run calibration and can't seem to make it less "harsh."

Has anyone else experienced this?

tia,
Bill

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I have a 2008 24" iMac and the new 27" iMac, the screen on the new one is just as good, its actually better as it has far less glare. I run it at just over 50% brightness and it looks great. Turning down the brightness will kill any of the harshness you may have.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
f.lux helps with "harshness". I use it on my MacBook Pro and my MacBook Air. F.lux might look a bit weird at first, but used with care it makes a huge difference for me.

leerichards1

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
f.lux helps with "harshness". I use it on my MacBook Pro and my MacBook Air. F.lux might look a bit weird at first, but used with care it makes a huge difference for me.

Never heard of this software, thanks for the tip. Will check it out.

Cidtek

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
My super sweet 27" iMac arrived yesterday and it is replacing my mid-2007 24" iMac. I have it setup and rolling, but have noticed the display is significantly different from the previous model. Specifically, the whites appear to be very bright and harsh ( almost florescent in nature ). I have tried to bring down brightness and run calibration and can't seem to make it less "harsh."

Has anyone else experienced this?

tia,
Bill

Is there any possibility you may be forming cataracts in your eyes? Bright white screens are hard to look at when this happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.