Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

13rutal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 7, 2012
I have a plan to go to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering from the previous similar thread if Apple products are cheaper in HK. Anyone have ever had an experience buying one in HK? Is it really cheaper? Or is it just a currency difference?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a plan to go to Hong Kong in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering from the previous similar thread if Apple products are cheaper in HK. Anyone have ever had an experience buying one in HK? Is it really cheaper? Or is it just a currency difference?
A base high-end MBA sells for HK11,488 ($1482 USD). The same sells for $1499 in the US.

tgif1386

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
The only price difference I can think of is the sales tax. HK has no sales tax.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
It is cheaper. At the very least you are not paying any tax as mentioned, but not all model (ram, storage) requirement maybe stocked, and with the proper AC plug (ez enuff to replace).

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
It's worth noting though that if you're a brit, Hong Kong uses the same plugs as we do :)

kage207

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Keep in mind, there's another thread of this nature going on. You are supposed to report all items you bought aboard and are bringing back to your country. It might be a little cheaper there due to no sales tax and a few "saved" dollars as there is less shipping. Though keep in mind, the stronger the dollar is as you come closer to your trip the "cheaper" the computer will be as you will be able to "buy" more of the Chinese currency.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
Asking if prices is cheaper also has a complication... cheaper than where?

Splitting hair?

It's well known Apple offers no discounts, except a small educational, and there are no Apple "Grey" markets.

Hong Kong is known to be a "shopping haven." Merchandises pass through HK without tariff.

Without checking with the United Nations, am pretty sure buying a MB in Hong Kong cannot be beat. If ur already making a trip that is, and not doing this specifically to bring back ONE laptop.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Do they sell them with the same keyboards and power cords etc as they do in the US?

Asia8

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2011
Splitting hair?

It's well known Apple offers no discounts, except a small educational, and there are no Apple "Grey" markets.

Hong Kong is known to be a "shopping haven." Merchandises pass through HK without tariff.

Without checking with the United Nations, am pretty sure buying a MB in Hong Kong cannot be beat. If ur already making a trip that is, and not doing this specifically to bring back ONE laptop.

Splitting what hair?

Well you see, I live right next to Hong Kong and go there every couple of months, I don't know what the prices are elsewhere and while I know the prices in HK are very competitive I have no idea on the prices in other countries that I don't frequent. I therefore dare not claim that Hong Kong is cheaper than "location X" as I honestly don't know.

Perhaps Hong Kong is the cheapest, but I've not personally bothered to go country by country checking. The price difference between the Mac Air lower model is only about $60 between HK and US, and that could easily change with exchange rates.

I simply choose not to make any assumption and to give the facts that I can at the time of posting. That without knowing his/her country I can't say whether it's cheaper or not, and then including a link to the actual prices in HK.

----------

Do they sell them with the same keyboards and power cords etc as they do in the US?

In Hong Kong you can get both the Hong Kong style charger and the Chinese style charger (2 vertical prongs I believe, though China also has a 1 vertical and 2 tilted prongs type).

They may have others, although I'm not certain

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
Keep in mind that the MBA also comes with a 1 year warranty. I am not sure if there would be any issues if you had a problem and needed to take it to an Apple Store not located in Hong Kong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.