Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Developers gonna be mad....

Not really. Surely it would have the same resolution... Bigger screen doesn't mean some pixel density. It could easily be non-retina if it's meant to be a cheaper phone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Is apple losing its way ? Has it lost the 'closed' but 'focused' visionary mentality that once ruled the empire when Steve was in charge ?

No pro mac in years
No substantial iWork update since 09
FCPX getting off to more than a shaky start
Maps disaster
Perceived iPad 4 rush release after only 6 months
A general focus on IOS than MAC

Steve wasn't always right, but he was determined and he knew what exactly he wanted and didn't want.

Now it seems Apple are going in too many directions, and the very idea of a low cost iPhone with a bigger screen whilst doubtful on one hand, would not surprise me either.

It seems backtracking is the new way of forward thinking at Apple.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Nope, too much pain for the developers

How? Not if the screen is the same size as the most recent iPhone and iPod touch releases, since that seems to be the biggest issue people complain about. While I'm sure it wouldn't be blazing fast, I'm sure such a product would also be able to handle almost anything you'd throw at a mobile device, especially considering that the less-powered previous iPod touch is still fine and I doubt they'd go lower than that.

The only hurdle I could see is if the display is not Retina.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

do they do carrier subsidies and contracts in china or is it just buy the phone and use it? If they do subsidies then really they won't need a lower cost model

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
And? Most people prefer phones that are bigger than the iPhone. I'm sorry but it is clear. If you can't see that you are simply blind. I know the demographic of this site prefers what we have. That's not what the rest of the world likes. Clearly.

Actually, this is not clear at all. In fact, the fact that Apple still sells absolutely loads of iPhones despite having a 4" and smaller screen tells you that there is a VERY large market for a smaller smartphone with high end internals.

You can't look at Android sales because they are self fulfilling. Right now, if you want a 4" Android device, you have no choice at all unless you want a piece of garbage phone with an underpowered processor, crap screen and bloatware. The only high end Android phones available are huge. You can say they make them huge because they want them huge, but I know a lot of people that would still be using a Nexus One if it weren't for the fact that the hardware is now very out of date. The newer flagship devices are all coming with larger and larger screens. It would be very interesting to see the Galaxy S4 come out with a 4" screen and see how it would sell. While a lot of people would skip it for a larger screen, I bet it would sell very well.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Hey, making over-sized cheap, plastic phones works for samsung....why not Apple? A friend commented to me the other day as we were walking, "why does that dude have a tablet held up to their ear"....I told him it was probably a galaxy note. To each his own but I always chuckle at folks craving for bigger screen sized phones...at some point it loses the whole point of being a portable communication device. Samsung is clearly in that territory in my humble opinion.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
I don't buy it. Does not seem like an Apple strategy, but more like a Samsung, HTC, or Nokia strategy.

If they want cheaper, why not just keep pushing the 4s as a cheaper alternative. Or the 5 when the 5s comes out.... etc...

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Apple has to do something drastic if it wants to counter Samsung’s grip it has on sales in North America of smartphones, never mind the emerging markets since if they don’t they will continue to lose market share and with Google and Motorola coming out with a smartphone to try to counter Apple and Samsung the piece of the pie will be ever decreasing.

Why is market share such a big thing?

Apple is already "losing" to Android across the globe... Android has 75% market share in smartphones to Apple's 15%

Yet Apple's App Store is still the best... Apple has the most retention... and Apple as a single company makes more money than the rest of the mobile industry combined.

So tell me again why Apple must have more market share?

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
No substantial iWork update since 09

To be fair, the way they used to update iWork, the cumulated features they've added to '09 since then would have made for at least a "year" upgrade but they gave it all for free. (Not saying iWork isn't getting long in the tooth and could really use some help in some areas.)

As far as the phone rumor, I'd think we would be more likely to see a smart watch from Apple then the phone described.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
The fact of the matter is iphone is what steve jobs wanted to be mercedes level. In the emerging markets, people will be happy to talk on phone and nothing else. Does not matter how the brand is the fact cheaper the better. If apple sells its phone for $200 over and samsung sells just the simple dumb phones for $ 50, it will be the samsung choice.

mnemonix

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2005
A cheaper phone to target the high end market? Even the report as written makes no logical sense.

It's complete nonsense.

Straight Flush

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
I hope not

If true then I think Tim Cook is misinterpreting Steve's advice: 'Never ask yourself what would Steve do?' :rolleyes:

nazaar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
looking at the iPhone and the Samsung monstrosity it's clear that Samsung didn't take any design ideas from Apple.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta
Nope, too much pain for the developers

Nope. They could keep the same pixel count, just reduce the pixel density if the phone is larger.
It may make it slightly less 'retina-ish' but hey, it's a 'budget' phone ... so that would make perfect sense.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
They would be much better off sorting out their desktop, server and storage strategy.

supermarino

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
The developers aren't going to be mad. If the developer is already cross-creating their game for android and iphone they should have a set of graphic files that work for larger screen sizes, just might take some converting. If it's using the built in apple format, it should take very little work, just like going from the iPhone 4S to 5. The fact of the matter is, for mass appeal, you need a 4" screen version and something closer to 5". While something big like the Note 2 would be great, it isn't as necessary, because iOS users will be happy with 5".

iPhone Big and iPhone Little. Both high-end. It's where the future needs to be, maybe some market share can be recovered from android then.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
If Apple wants a bigger phone, why not just give the iPad & iPad Mini telephone capability as well?

Not sure if I'm kidding or being serious with that statement.

Something I would (seriously) like to see is a consolidation of the iPhone & iPod Touch. Do something like the iPad Wifi & Wifi + Cellular. Maybe have 3 models:
-Wi-fi only
-Wi-fi + Data
-Wi-fi + Data + Voice

Then maybe 4 sizes:
-3.5"
-5.5"
-7.5"
-9.5"

Have the 3.5" & 5.5" be the same resolution, & 7.5" & 9.5" the same resolution. Or maybe have a ratio of 1:2:4:8 just so that they could use pixel doubling or whatever for apps.

Sorry, just totally writing off the top of my head. Yeah, I'm weird like that.

Last edited:

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
larger iphone yes please. But not a low cost one. keep that crap for android.

Some people need to research before making such stupid posts. The S3 (with its larger screen) is not a low cost phone, and does a pretty damn good job on Android.

Rufuss Sewell

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
Austin, TX
Actually, this is not clear at all. In fact, the fact that Apple still sells absolutely loads of iPhones despite having a 4" and smaller screen tells you that there is a VERY large market for a smaller smartphone with high end internals.

People are buying iPhones becuase:
1. They love Apple
2. Ecosystem
3. They have done so for years
4. Status symbol
5. iOS
6. It just works
etc.

They buy iPhones DESPITE the size. Not because of it.

But yes, I imagine there is a market for 3 phones. The current size, a big one, and a tiny one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.