Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/solavei-counts-65000-members-pays-out-1m-commissions/2012-11-13

Solavei said it now counts more than 65,000 "members" on its service. The T-Mobile USA MVNO also said that it has paid out more than $1 million in commissions to its customers.

"We have seen a tremendous response since our nationwide launch with new members enrolling all across the United States, including Puerto Rico," said Ryan Wuerch, founder and CEO of Solavei. "Growing 100 percent monthly and paying more than $1 million in commissions in such a short timeframe shows the breadth and scalability of Solavei."

Solavei launched its service Sept. 21, and at the time said that it had signed up 25,0000 customers before its launch. Two weeks after the company launched, it said it had made $5 million in revenue and increased its customer base to 30,000 customers.

In other Solavei metrics, Wuerch said 70 percent of Solavei's customers are SIM-only subscribers, meaning that they brought their own phones to the service instead of purchasing phones through Solavei. Customers can either purchase an unlocked phone and use it with the Solavei service or they can unlock their existing device and transfer it to Solavei's service.

Solavei offers unlimited voice, text and data without a contract on T-Mobile's network for $49 per month. Because Solavei relies on customers to sign up other customers, Solavei pays each customer a $20 commission per month for each "trio" or three customers that they sign up. Customers will also get paid when the people they sign up then sign up others. Thus, Solavei's business model calls for the company to reduce customer care costs and customer acquisition costs by not paying for phone subsidies and instead paying customers to sell the service to their friends.

interesting company. 70% brought their own phone to use on the network. A good junk of that is probably iphone. Using customers as "marketers" is also an interesting twist.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
soooooo....what kind of speeds can i expect on the iphone 5 with the unlimited plan with t-mobile when I am traveling around the nation.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
So best to stick with straight talk which is $45 but only 2 gb of HIGH SPEED data versus unlimited edge/dialup.

Attachments

• speed test.png
    speed test.png
    77.2 KB · Views: 90
  • photo test.PNG
    photo test.PNG
    90.2 KB · Views: 71

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Slow 2G edge data speeds for now in most places until Tmobile finishes their network refarm later this year.

that.

but it's interesting that this company can offer $1 million in commission just because it doesn't have to do any marketing.

The $49 for unlimited talk, text and data isn't bad. (not really unlimited data since it's only 3GB, then you get throttled).

$45 with straight talk is a better deal.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Isn't this basically multi-level marketing, or pyramid scheme? :confused:

It's not a "pyramid scheme" in the traditional sense.

At its core, you have to pay $49 a month for the service. If you pay for it, they provide it.

The "commission" side of things is optional and is in addition to paying for your service.

Pyramid schemes tend to promise something that's too good to be true (i.e. you put in a tiny amount of money and you get something huge back, with that only working for the first people to put their money in).

The worst case scenario with this is that you end up paying the same as you would to another MVNO for the same sort of service.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
It's not a "pyramid scheme" in the traditional sense.

At its core, you have to pay $49 a month for the service. If you pay for it, they provide it.

The "commission" side of things is optional and is in addition to paying for your service.

Pyramid schemes tend to promise something that's too good to be true (i.e. you put in a tiny amount of money and you get something huge back, with that only working for the first people to put their money in).

The worst case scenario with this is that you end up paying the same as you would to another MVNO for the same sort of service.

Couldn't say it better myself.

For $49 a month, you get unlimited talk, text and 3GB of data on T-mobile network. The "commission/marketing" side is purely optional.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
soooooo....what kind of speeds can i expect on the iphone 5 with the unlimited plan with t-mobile when I am traveling around the nation.

2G Edge.
Not bad if you're mainly in one area that has 3G coverage.

CoachManny

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
that.

but it's interesting that this company can offer $1 million in commission just because it doesn't have to do any marketing.

The $49 for unlimited talk, text and data isn't bad. (not really unlimited data since it's only 3GB, then you get throttled).

$45 with straight talk is a better deal.

Not accurate...4GB of 4G data before throttling.

I have been searching high and low for anything better than $49/mo or FREE.

In your opinion, what makes Straight Talk a better deal? $4 dollars savings and less Gigs of data before throttle?

Please help me there as I've really tried to find anything that compares.

Thank you in advance,

Manny

----------

Isn't this basically multi-level marketing, or pyramid scheme? :confused:

Pyramid Scheme is illegal.

I doubt T-Mobile would partner with anything related to pyramid scheme.

VERY similar to MLM company. It's like having your own T-Mobile store but not paying all the rent and not worrying about all the advertising dollars needed to grow the store. You refer people to use the service you get paid...they refer people to the service and your network grows and eventually it adds up to more pay but not right away like traditional MLM's.

Most people are just referring enough to have their phone pay them. Meaning if a person refers 9 friends and family members they get $60 a month for as long as they stay service members.

Not a bad deal in my opinion.

I Am Solavei :)

Manny

Legacy Wealth

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012
Not accurate...4GB of 4G data before throttling.

I have been searching high and low for anything better than $49/mo or FREE.

In your opinion, what makes Straight Talk a better deal? $4 dollars savings and less Gigs of data before throttle?

Please help me there as I've really tried to find anything that compares.

Thank you in advance,

Manny

----------

Pyramid Scheme is illegal.

I doubt T-Mobile would partner with anything related to pyramid scheme.

VERY similar to MLM company. It's like having your own T-Mobile store but not paying all the rent and not worrying about all the advertising dollars needed to grow the store. You refer people to use the service you get paid...they refer people to the service and your network grows and eventually it adds up to more pay but not right away like traditional MLM's.

Most people are just referring enough to have their phone pay them. Meaning if a person refers 9 friends and family members they get $60 a month for as long as they stay service members.

Not a bad deal in my opinion.

I Am Solavei :)

Manny

Well said...pyramid scheme is Illegal....the true definition is where ONLY money is being exchanged..no tangible product or service...this company (which I am not affiliated with) is providing a SERVICE... Networking is the strongest form of business today...these billion dollars companies love the business model...because no $$$ is paid out unless a true customer is acquired...so it just makes sense... I know from being on both sides of the fence...traditional business & also being partnered with a network marketing company for the past 4 years....Telecom & energy is where it's at!

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
An update on this company:

In a mere 70 days since its launch, Solavei has attracted more than 100,000 members in the USA.

As an alternative to spending tens of millions of capital on advertising and marketing, Solavei leverages its members to share the value proposition with friends, family, and others – and rewards them for their efforts.

The 100,000 members using Solavei’s no-contract mobile service are the most effective form of advertising and distribution. Members sign up new cell service customers by sharing through word-of-mouth and personal social media connections. In its first two months of operation, Solavei paid out more than $2.5 million in member commissions. Approximately 200 members are earning $1,000+ a month.

About Solavei:

Solavei network of members can now access up to 4G coverage on unlocked GSM iPhones® in 37 new geographic areas with the 1900 MHz band. The network upgrades enable Solavei members to use iPhones and other AT&T/4G smartphones to access its $49 per month unlimited talk, text and data in metros including:

Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, New York City, Newark, Philadelphia, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Tampa, Baltimore, Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Washington DC, Atlanta, Seattle, Minneapolis, , Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Diego, Central and Southern Arizona, the San Francisco Bay Area, California’s Central Valley and South Florida.

------------------------

100,000 subs over 70 days = 1,428 subscribers per day or 521,000 subs a year (at this same rate)

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
An update on this company:

In a mere 70 days since its launch, Solavei has attracted more than 100,000 members in the USA.

As an alternative to spending tens of millions of capital on advertising and marketing, Solavei leverages its members to share the value proposition with friends, family, and others – and rewards them for their efforts.

The 100,000 members using Solavei’s no-contract mobile service are the most effective form of advertising and distribution. Members sign up new cell service customers by sharing through word-of-mouth and personal social media connections. In its first two months of operation, Solavei paid out more than $2.5 million in member commissions. Approximately 200 members are earning $1,000+ a month.

About Solavei:

Solavei network of members can now access up to 4G coverage on unlocked GSM iPhones® in 37 new geographic areas with the 1900 MHz band. The network upgrades enable Solavei members to use iPhones and other AT&T/4G smartphones to access its $49 per month unlimited talk, text and data in metros including:

Boston, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, New York City, Newark, Philadelphia, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Tampa, Baltimore, Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Washington DC, Atlanta, Seattle, Minneapolis, , Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Diego, Central and Southern Arizona, the San Francisco Bay Area, California’s Central Valley and South Florida.

T-Mobile has not completed the Boston area for refarming. They are lying. I've used my pre-paid TMo sim in my S3. 3G drops in and out all over town.

People should just stick with StraightTalk because T-Mobile's network is completely subpar. They barely have 3G.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.