Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

attlogo375wide-150x72.jpg
Ahead of its official earnings release for the fourth quarter of 2012 later this month, AT&T today announced that it sold over 10 million smartphones during the quarter, including "best-ever" sales of both iPhone and Android devices.
"We had another incredible quarter of smartphone sales as the mobile Internet continues to drive strong growth in wireless," said Ralph de la Vega, president and chief executive officer for AT&T Mobility. "These are the industry's most valuable postpaid subscribers with average revenues twice that of non-smartphone subscribers. During the quarter, we averaged more than 110,000 smartphone sales a day as customers flocked to our leading portfolio of the latest Android, Apple and Windows devices.
AT&T's previous best quarter came in the fourth quarter of 2011, when the carrier activated a total of 9.4 million smartphones with 7.6 million of them being iPhones.

Apple is expected to report a strong holiday quarter when it releases its earnings on January 23, buoyed by a full quarter's worth of iPhone 5 sales and fresh updates across much of the rest of its product lineup.

Article Link: AT&T Pre-Announces 'Best-Ever' iPhone Sales in 4Q 2012

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009
Yay! Go iPhone sales! It'll be interesting to see how many of these smartphone sales are the i5.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

like most things these days this good news will likely drive Apples stock down LOL

smitha96

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2005
As the US smartphone market reaches the very beginnings of smartphone saturation, I think we'll see iPhone growth rates around 10-20% domestically and much higher numbers overseas. The iPhone is only on half of the world's wireless cellular providers. It'll be very interesting to see if apple can join with china mobile to tap its 900 million subscribers.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2012
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/01/07/could-verizon-att-follow-t-mobile-in-ending-subsidies/
Could Verizon, AT&T Follow T-Mobile in Ending Subsidies?

Last month Deutsche Telekom AG's DTE.XE +0.57% T-Mobile USA said it would completely stop subsidizing phones in 2013, instead offering plans that essentially allow for interest-free financing.

“That is a great thing,” Verizon Communications Inc. VZ +0.88% Chief Executive Lowell McAdam said in an interview at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. He joked that Verizon would support U.S. regulators in banning phone subsidies.

Although he likes the idea of ending subsidies, he questioned whether U.S. customers are ready for that type of shift because they have been conditioned to getting lower-cost phones for so long.

Verizon “could move to that very quickly” if people wanted it, he said.

AT&T T +0.45% Mobility Chief Executive Ralph de la Vega said Monday the company is watching the T-Mobile strategy, and AT&T could make a similar move if it becomes popular, but the company isn’t focused on the issue.

------------------

If T-Mobile is successful with no subsidy strategy, Verizon and AT&T might follow suit?

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Since AT$T is making money hand over fist with the iPhone, why don't they do something for a change and treat their customers right like giving them the truly unlimited data they are paying for.

----------

like most things these days this good news will likely drive Apples stock down LOL

AAPL was up in the pre-market and opened on session highs yet the gains were cut in half as of now, just a little under 45 minutes since the market opened.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
...and yet I get anywhere between a "'searching' to one or two bars" on my iPhone display since moving into our new condominum. Curse AT&T and their lack of adequate cell towers.
:mad:

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
the latest Android, Apple and Windows devices.

I find it a little interesting that they decided to say OS, company and OS.

If they went all OS's, they could say Android, iOS, and Windows devices.

If they went all companies... that becomes a bit confusing with Android... is it Google's? Then why are the Google APIs/SDKs/services separate from the ones for Android?

That's one of the biggest frustrations about trying to develop for Android... no one really controls it firmly enough, so everyone is free to make tweaks to it that makes it so code that run fine on one device completely breaks on all the others.

ozziegn

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Central FL Area
9.4 million smartphones with 7.6 million of them being iPhones?

gee, I guess the proof's in the pudding. iPhones still outsell Android garbage by far. (at least with AT&T)

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Since AT$T is making money hand over fist with the iPhone, why don't they do something for a change and treat their customers right like giving them the truly unlimited data they are paying for.

----------

AAPL was up in the pre-market and opened on session highs yet the gains were cut in half as of now, just a little under 45 minutes since the market opened.

Or at least offer a promo to existing customers like $30 for 5GB with tethering instead of $30 for 3GB without tethering. I know its not a huge difference, but its at least something that is reasonable to AT&T

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

gee, I guess the proof's in the pudding. iPhones still outsell Android garbage by far. (at least with AT&T)

It means that iPhones outsell Android and Windows phones.

There are several Android phones which are not remotely "garbage"

----------

BTW - the article headline is misleading

We don't know if ATT's iPhone sales for this quarter were best ever for the iPhone - we just know that ATT's smartphone sales were best ever

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
T-Mobile

Have almost no issues with ATT, but I'm thinking about going with T-Mobile this year because they have unlimited LTE plans.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2013/01/07/could-verizon-att-follow-t-mobile-in-ending-subsidies/
Could Verizon, AT&T Follow T-Mobile in Ending Subsidies?

Last month Deutsche Telekom AG's DTE.XE +0.57% T-Mobile USA said it would completely stop subsidizing phones in 2013, instead offering plans that essentially allow for interest-free financing.

What's the difference between "subsidies" and "interest-free financing"? It would be great if AT&T and Verizon would just have three lines on their bill:
1. Monthly contract fee.
2. Monthly phone subsidy or finance fee.
3. A flate cost/MB data usage fee.

This way, consumers would clearly see what they're paying for.

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I remember reading here on MR that at&t store staff was instructed to try to move potential smartphone customers away from iPhone. Doesn't seem to be working all that well.

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.

Those are 2011 numbers, not the current ones. :rolleyes:
Those won't be released until the 23rd.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
BTW - the article headline is misleading

We don't know if ATT's iPhone sales for this quarter were best ever for the iPhone - we just know that ATT's smartphone sales were best ever

Yup, you beat me to it. It might turn out that AT&T sold more iPhones this quarter than ever, but the plain language of the press release does not say that.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011

----------

Sorry but do they CAP your data? or do they throttle you over a certain amount so that you get what you are paying for with your 2007 unlimited data plan. You are paying for 3G speeds, not LTE. I suggest AT&T let you have 3G unlimited, at the 1mb or less you would have gotten in 2007.

I get 35-40mb/s regularly on AT&T LTE network in Tampa. Should I be allowed unlimited data on the cellular network at that speed. If they did, it would crush the network.

I am flipping sick of clueless people who moan and complain when they can't get stuff for free.

AT&T is clearly investing in faster LTE networks which is not free...

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit is it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.