Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Nope. 5", 16:9, 960 x 640 screen

Lower PPI, all apps run the same, stuff is just bigger.

Same reason developers don't have to do anything (for most apps) for the iPad Mini.

Not that I think it's a strong possibility, but this could work especially if it's for a "low cost" market (cheaper display, probably A5 Soc, etc).

That would be ridiculous for Apple to bring out when all competitors are bring out 5" 1080p phones now.

It would be the beginning of the end.

Noctilux.95

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2010
LA
I would love for Apple to offer a Note II size iPhone (with Retina) for $100 more than the iPhone 5's current price.

Sweetcheetah

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Bellingham, WA
Where's Steve when you need him?

Well, that's the fact of life and had a feeling something may stray away from what "STEVE JOBS" might wanted it. I mean sure Steve left a legacy of new technology plans somewhere and Apple Corp is utilizing it some how, but I wouldn't think Steve would like the idea of certain things happening in Apple, certainly large iphone with cheaper cost or something. He makes people love it whether they knew it or not. That's why most of the newest stuff during Steve's era was such break through like products. Something he knew that we didn't and found out we did is what made Steve a houdini. Anyway, so, Steve's somewhere probably shaking his head wondering if he should have lived longer to keep this on it's path. Oh well. Let's see how it goes. Hey, we're getting into TV. We've gone through the computer age, the music age, the movie age, the phone age, tablet age, well, what's left now? TV age? I can't think of anything else that Apple could get into after that.... iCar? Revolutionary sync your iCar to iPhone, iPad, Macbook? Mmmm.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Make cheap phone with a huge display, to appeal to lower class people. Sounds like Android in USA!

LOL. I guess I'm a lower class person now :( Next phone purchase I'll head back to iPhone so I can mingle amongst the L33T folks again.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Hasn't this been a rumor since the 3GS? A cheaper, budget, iPhone?

If anything, Apple needs to make an iPhone nano. Basically a flip phone that can get email/iMessage through wifi and runs the nano OS.

lovemyapple

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2012
Usually I don't believe Apple rumors like these, but lately the rumors have been true. Thats why I am worried. I'd really like them to stop releasing products so often. I understood when the changed the dock connector, that makes sense. This does not.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
How much more "affordable" can the iPhone get?

People will gripe til its free with no contract. After all, Apple has billions, they can afford it.

What I find funniest about this rumor is that many of those 'emerging' market are the reason Apple is plagued by resellers. Who buy the phones and mark the up even more. So folks are paying 2-3 times full retail for the same 'tiny'. And yet Digitimes etc are insisting Apple needs a bigger, cheap phone for those markets

Alfuh

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2009
People are forgetting two things:

Argument #1: It's going to be a pain for developers

Really? Really?? You think that scaling things a few different ways would be so horrible? It's been done for years and I'm sure that the same people that create such complex games will be happy to do it because ... get this ... they make apps to make money! An iPhone that opens them up to an entirely new demographic and million more iTunes account will make them extremely motivated.
Not to mention, as others have pointed out, larger size doesn't mean different resolution. It could be the same resolution as past phones with lower ppi, which would of course require absolutely nothing from developers.

Argument #2: If people that don't spend their days at Starbucks getting frappucinos can afford Apple products then their brand image will be ruined!

Apple (AAPL) is a publicly traded company. Their sole reason for existence is to generate profit for their owners (stock holders). Their stock has been absolutely slammed right now. In between their next BIG innovation that will define a new market (perhaps TV) they have to work their asses off to keep up with rapidly developing industries in which they are already a part of (smart phones). I'm pretty sure Steve Jobs said that the iPhone is "at least 5 years ahead of any competitor" when it debuted. Guess what? That was 6 years ago.

Their next large area of growth is OUTSIDE THE US. Guess what is popular and desired their right now? Lower cost phones with large screens. If you want to see the demand for low cost Apple products just look at iPad mini in China right now.

:cool:

mtrctyjoe

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2005
Motor City (Detroit, not Tokyo)
iPad Mini with Phone/TXT MSG Capability

I know this will never happen - I wish they would just put a phone in the Mini, heck even the full size iPad. I got a mini-wifi for the holidays and I loved the form factor (screen res was weak however) - I just did not like lugging two devices around tethered to each other and I see no real value in having a two data plans. If the mini had real phone capability I could just use that. I rarely make voice calls, so I could easily use bluetooth for that in my car or a wired/wireless head set.

I know this would never happen as it would eat into iPhone sales, not sure what it will take for me to lug another device around - when I can do so much on the iPhone.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
I don't like the idea of Apple destroying their own image of a premiere company.

Did iPod nano and iPod mini and iPad mini destroy Apple's image as a premier company?

Did Mac Mini destroy Apple's image as a premier company?

Did large iMacs or small iMacs destroy Apple's image as a premier company?

Did eMacs and plastic iBooks destroy Apple's image as a premier company?

what the heck is "premier" company? And what is "image as a premier company" anyway? Apple's duty to shareholders is to sell to consumers what they want, and market wants LARGE displays because (surprise, surprise!) its easier on eyes! Yes some people read emails on their smartphones and they would love to have larger displays! Market wants CHEAPER phones! Yes because (surprise, surprise!) 800 dollars for an unlocked smartphone is quite a money! Apple is a company which DOES NOT make expensive things, its a company which makes QUALITY things and thats a big difference. Now if you can bring good quality with lower price, then you iPad mini which is killing competition now. So think different, outside of box; how you have to compete with 5 inch phones with your 4 inch screen?

Last edited:

supermarino

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2012
I am afraid of two things.

1) These unlocked phones from abroad will find a way to the US
2) Fragmentation of iPhone has started. App developers are going to have a headache trying to write their apps for so many different phones.

Why is fragmentation such a fear? Android supposedly had lots of fragmentation, both in screen sizes and OS versions, yet the developers make the same high quality apps for Android as they do for iOS. Even if the jump from iOS to Android takes a few months.. it still happens, and runs just as well.

If the developers can't handle something as simple as this, you really don't want them designing any meaningful apps you use anyway. Who knows what other shortcuts they take and if you put any important data in that program, well, who knows...

ng-design

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2011
Nashville
Low cost? Why?

Why should it be low cost? There are multiple Android phones set to be released in 2013, all which have large, high quality screens that rival the retina display, and they play true 1080p HD video. And they cost more than the iPhone, which people are happy to pay for.

The days of Apple acting like they've created something nobody else can are dwindling. I sincerely hope they come up with a polished new phone that has a 5" screen and meets the standards of quality we expect from an iPhone.

BiscottiGelato

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2011
Even a $400 stock price won't make me sell AAPL. But if Tim Cook do this, it will make me sell... Doing something low cost just for market share will destroy Apple... And doing something just because others are doing it, not because it's 'better', will destroy Apple.... If Apple do genuinely thinks 4" is the right size, stick with it. I think 4" is indeed the right size for single hand use. For 2 hands usage, there are tablets. Figure out how to make a retina mini without fragmenting iPad apps is what they should focus on, not a 5" iPhone!

----------

Why is fragmentation such a fear? Android supposedly had lots of fragmentation, both in screen sizes and OS versions, yet the developers make the same high quality apps for Android as they do for iOS. Even if the jump from iOS to Android takes a few months.. it still happens, and runs just as well.

If the developers can't handle something as simple as this, you really don't want them designing any meaningful apps you use anyway. Who knows what other shortcuts they take and if you put any important data in that program, well, who knows...

Last I know developer prefers to develop on iOS. In fact a lot of apps doesn't even exist on Android, and many have poor quality in comparison. Developer develops on Android reluctantly not because it's the easier/better platform for developers, it's purely because of market share. Yet monetization-wise iOS still wins hands down....

Go figure.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Even a $400 stock price won't make me sell AAPL. But if Tim Cook do this, it will make me sell...

----------

Last I know developer prefers to develop on iOS. In fact a lot of apps doesn't even exist on Android, and many have poor quality in comparison. Developer develops on Android reluctantly not because it's the easier/better platform for developers, it's purely because of market share. Yet monetization-wise iOS still wins hands down....

Go figure.

Why is that.
The 4 inch crowd will still cling to their 4 inch iPhones.
5 inch crowd will buy new iPhones with 5 inch screens.
And 3.5 inch crowd still will be happy.

Apple will have more revenue.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
Not gonna happen. An iPhone is an iPhone. Period.

The only way we'd see this.....Apple licenses IOS for use in other devices. Then, and only then, would we see "various" iPhones.

And that's NOT gonna happen.

Hahaha this is so far from the truth. If :apple: wants to cover more markets and more screen sizes, they will cover more markets and more screen sizes... You were right when you said that they will never license iOS for use in other devices, but the fact that you'd bring it us basically says you think it's more possible than it is, which is not at all.

MoneyMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
I believe Apple has interest in making a lower cost phone for a potentially bigger share of the market. But what interest do they have in making the display larger? I don't see this happening.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
The elitism that most people feel on this site for using Apple products just makes me shake my head.

ptram

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
What has screen size got to do with class? Lol

It is exactly what has always happened with jewelry. Higher-class has usually prefferend miniature, finely-crafted jewels, while lower-class has always preferred huge stones and chains. A bigger screen makes more light and is more noticeable.

I WAS the one

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
Orlando, FL
If this is true I'm done with Apple. Neither the iPad Mini or a Bigger Phone was needed. What is going on with a company that used to be the leader of technology. Now is trying to catch up with Google as crazy! I remember when Apple didn't care about competition and always introduce stuff that everyone was like "wtf?" And then... boom! Success all over!

Now is like "let's wait what Google will introduce and then we do the same more pretty and less usable"

"We're not in Kansas anymore"

MoneyMike

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013
It is exactly what has always happened with jewelry. Higher-class has usually prefferend miniature, finely-crafted jewels, while lower-class has always preferred huge stones and chains. A bigger screen makes more light and is more noticeable.

This is a weak analogy. Jewels do not display content. So big or small is a question of taste. A phone display is much different.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
If this is true I'm done with Apple. Neither the iPad Mini or a Bigger Phone was needed. What is going on with a company that used to be the leader of technology. Now is trying to catch up with Google as crazy! I remember when Apple didn't care about competition and always introduce stuff that everyone was like "wtf?" And then... boom! Success all over!

Now is like "let's wait what Google will introduce and then we do the same more pretty and less usable"

"We're not in Kansas anymore"

You may be done with Apple, but instead of you they will get more happy customers with different sizes (you know people do have different tastes and palm sizes, don't you?)

And you will still have your 3.5 inch iPhone 4S, so what the deal?

MacManTexas56

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
lower cost with a bigger screen? just doesn't make sense!

why not just actually sell something like the 3gs or 4 really cheap instead?

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
lower cost with a bigger screen? just doesn't make sense!

why not just actually sell something like the 3gs or 4 really cheap instead?
because CPU and GPUs are outdated.

Its like Intel would like to sell cheap PCs with Pentium 4. Market doesn't work that way and Apple iOS constantly evolves to require faster processors. So old models will not cut after 1-2 years.

You know when people want to buy budget models, they don't have to buy outdated ones. Might be new CPU but with say, 5 mp camera and no headphones or larger display but not IGZO but more traditional.

Similar to Samsung using outdated Pentile technology for their huge screens (which of quite poor quality in reality).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.