Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajsimeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Just got 2 32gb iPad 4's in flawless condition for $450. Checked warranty and it was registered just a couple days ago. I already have an iPad mini so I couldn't justify having both but at this price it was a no brainer. I thought the deal was too good to be true and was not expecting anything but after the sale I was giddy. Roommate bought one from me for $300 so pretty much $150 for a 32gb iPad that was basically brand new. Could it have been stolen? I don't know and don't care. That's not my problem.

Also I had a little stint with using full sized Android tablets because I liked the nerdy customizations you can do, but man the performance of iOS vs Android OS is like night and day. Absolutely no lag on iOS. Browsing on the iPad is an absolute dream. And forgot how sweet retina is. I had an iPad 3 before I sold that to get a mini which I absolutely love but looking at this screen gets me excited about a retina iPad mini!

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
When you buy at such a low price, you almost have to know that they are stolen. You could be arrested for receiving stolen goods if they catch you. The real owners of the iPads are out a lot of money and you gloat. tacky.

ajsimeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Here come the moral police. I forgot everyone on here is a gift from God. Get over yourselves. All he said is needed money desperately and received these as gifts. I've done a lot of craigslists deal and people will sell their items for absolutely dirt low prices bc they need to pay rent. Do I feel bad for them? Of course but there's not much I can do.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Here come the moral police. I forgot everyone on here is a gift from God. Get over yourselves. All he said is needed money desperately and received these as gifts. I've done a lot of craigslists deal and people will sell their items for absolutely dirt low prices bc they need to pay rent. Do I feel bad for them? Of course but there's not much I can do.

I by no means am the moral police, but at that price you have to be foolish to think they are not stolen. $300 a piece could be someone needing cash fast, but that price for two would not be a doubt in my mind they were stolen as indicated when you said "don't care if they were stolen."

Also, like the other poster said, it is one thing to buy something stolen.....but totally different "gloating" about getting something stolen :)

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
If they were stolen, you had better hope the original owner didn't keep the serial number on hand. They can report the number to Apple as a stolen iPad.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Personally I can care less whether OP ipads were stolen or not as this is just another 'cool story bro' post. I am a huge CL shopper and have been since it went on line. I have come across huge impossible legit deals from folks who were desparate (material things means nothing when you absolutely need cash right now) I've personally sold things at impossible it-must-be-stolen prices myself because something else needed to be taken care of immediately but had no money.
From my experience here's usually when your able to tell if that screaming impossible deal is a stolen item.

- Classified post is very vague in product discription (one liner discription)
- NO PICTURES!!! or Stock picture from a Web site
- Owner has little knowlege of the device insisting it was a gift
- gets annoyed with mulitple questions
- not a single piece of OEM items that came in the packaging (of this gift)
- Insulting/ mad classifieds i.e.'no suckas, cash only' type talk.

OP if you answer 'yes' to most of the above, well chances are your Ipads are stolen.

Last edited:

ajsimeon

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2007
Finally a real person. And to people who think I'm a bad person you guy's have no concept of the real world. Anyway the person who met me did have a vague product description but knew his item well. Sent me multiple pics via txt. He took down the ad after I told him I'd get it and it took him 8 hours for us to meet cause he was working at the time when we were talking. He also included both lightning adapter chargers. And most of all he was a decent looking civilian. He did not look like a person with bad intent or some trashy thug. He was in contact with me the whole time and met at a safe place. Yes the price seemed a little too good to be true but the transaction itself did not seem fishy at any point in time.

Moderators - please lock this thread. I more or less wanted to share a cool story and also that I'm back on board with iOS and have no need to use Android anymore.

Personally I can care less whether OP ipads were stolen or not as this is just another 'cool story bro' post. I am a huge CL shopper and have been since it went on line. I have come across huge impossible legit deals from folks who were desparate (material things means nothing when you absolutely need cash right now) I've personally sold things at impossible it-must-be-stolen prices myself because something else needed to be taken care of immediately but had no money.
From my experience here's usually when your able to tell if that screaming impossible deal is a stolen item.

- Classified post is very vague in product discription (one liner discription)
- NO PICTURES!!! or Stock picture from a Web site
- Owner has little knowlege of the device insisting it was a gift
- gets annoyed with mulitple questions
- not a single piece of OEM items that came in the packaging (of this gift)

OP if you answer 'yes' to most of the above, well chances are your Ipads are stolen.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I still don't see how this is a cool story? You came here to gloat, well congratualations, you saved a ton over retail. Enjoy your iPad/profit for selling to your "friend"

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Finally a real person. And to people who think I'm a bad person you guy's have no concept of the real world. Anyway the person who met me did have a vague product description but knew his item well. Sent me multiple pics via txt. He took down the ad after I told him I'd get it and it took him 8 hours for us to meet cause he was working at the time when we were talking. He also included both lightning adapter chargers. And most of all he was a decent looking civilian. He did not look like a person with bad intent or some trashy thug. He was in contact with me the whole time and met at a safe place. Yes the price seemed a little too good to be true but the transaction itself did not seem fishy at any point in time.

Moderators - please lock this thread. I more or less wanted to share a cool story and also that I'm back on board with iOS and have no need to use Android anymore.

Sounds like an awesome superstar score to me, and this too is why I love CL. I recently missed a superstar score on a piece of furniture I'd been looking for for the past year, the person was moving by himself and just needed someone to come and take it off his hands for superduper cheap so that he wont have to move it to his new out of state home..I didn't have a single red cent. The dissappointment was huge..I'm still looking but will likely pay way more, oh wells. I'm happy for you OP...

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

So you want the thread closed because people are calling you out as an accessory to theft?

Did you not think once before you told your little cool story?

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
You know, to an outside observer we come across as humorless tools.

I saw quite a bit of humor in my post...I guess I meant to include /sarcasm in my post.

----------

So you want the thread closed because people are calling you out as an accessory to theft?

Did you not think once before you told your little cool story?

I don't think we are calling him as an accessory, but just sheding light that he could possibly be one. Who knows, maybe the craigslist poster was just desperate for their next hit of whatever and felt compelled to rid themselves of the two iPads they got for Christmas!

luqtotheman

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
To all you people that are saying "he/she needed money and was desperate" , give me a break!

If someone was desperate they could get 350-400 each for a 32gb ipad 4!!! People would jump all over that deal.

To say they weren't stolen is foolish and immoral.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
To all you people that are saying "he/she needed money and was desperate" , give me a break!

If someone was desperate they could get 350-400 each for a 32gb ipad 4!!! People would jump all over that deal.

To say they weren't stolen is foolish and immoral.

In most ways I agree, it seems logical to point the finger at the craigslist seller and say, hey, red flag, these items are obviously stolen. But, we can't really do that, can we? Also, it appears the OP doesn't care if they are stolen or not. Legally, his only obiligation is that if the seller of said iPads is arraigned for stolen goods (iPads in question), then the buyer has the legal right to return stolen goods to the original owner.

So, OP, rest easy in knowing that if the seller of the iPads does not get arrested, then you're in the clear, however if it comes to the fact that he gets arrested, you had better hope that you have severed all ties from him completely or that they can't track you down!

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
I got an iPad mini recently off CL.

Got a hell of a deal, and was concerned (before I paid) it might have been stolen; hence I was not going to continue.

Met in a public place.
Asked for a receipt- he provided (paid by a CC from the apple store in our area). emailed it to me right there and then from his iPhone.
Had 5 emails from him- all the same name.
Showed my his ID- same name.
Asked why he did not just return it (in the return window), said it was too much of a hassle.?
lastly, he did not even wipe it- had all his data on it, itunes and all.
I wiped it clean, called him to advised I had done so- he thanked me for that.

Sometimes, I think that maybe sellers just need the cash, and not the CC credit back.

IDK- sometimes you can't judge.
lastly, my deal was not a Steal (like the OP), but it was a very good price for a unit a week old. Not to mention no stock in our local store continuously.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I will attest to this story as I myself have sold an iPad 3 32gb for $250 back in May because I needed the money when things took a bad turn in my life. No one else was making any better offers. It happens. I wanted more out of it but couldn't get any bites. Doesn't mean he bought stolen goods at all.

Last edited:

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010

Attachments

• Cool-Starry-Bra.jpg
    Cool-Starry-Bra.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 94
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.