Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
Hi folks.

I've had an ATV since the 2nd gen and it has been great. Generally I use it for Netflix, Hulu+, and to feed video from my iMac in the next room.

Lately, I have been acquiring more blu-rays with "digital copy." I didn't really care at first but since I had them I figured mise well redeem them while it was available. However, when I go to watch the redemption copy, the ATV3 requires me to log on with Apple ID and password.

My question is: if I log in like that, will it require a password again to buy content, or will it just one-click the buy right off my credit card? I ask this because I have three children who use the ATV all the time and who will buy stuff if they are able to, since even good supervision can't be there 100% of the time. (Yes, I'll discipline them if, make that WHEN, they break the no-buying rule... but in the meantime the money is gone. No good.)

If it lets a logged-in user buy at will, I guess the redemptions go back to being worthless and I just let the kids stream ripped video from iTunes...

Thanks!

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Hi folks.

I've had an ATV since the 2nd gen and it has been great. Generally I use it for Netflix, Hulu+, and to feed video from my iMac in the next room.

Lately, I have been acquiring more blu-rays with "digital copy." I didn't really care at first but since I had them I figured mise well redeem them while it was available. However, when I go to watch the redemption copy, the ATV3 requires me to log on with Apple ID and password.

My question is: if I log in like that, will it require a password again to buy content, or will it just one-click the buy right off my credit card? I ask this because I have three children who use the ATV all the time and who will buy stuff if they are able to, since even good supervision can't be there 100% of the time. (Yes, I'll discipline them if, make that WHEN, they break the no-buying rule... but in the meantime the money is gone. No good.)

If it lets a logged-in user buy at will, I guess the redemptions go back to being worthless and I just let the kids stream ripped video from iTunes...

Thanks!

Putting the info into your Apple TV will put it as a 1-click buy as far as I know. You can, however, turn off the 1-click buy under parental controls. Of course another option is to download the digital copy using iTunes on your Mac or PC and then access it from the cloud on the Apple TV.

wharzhee

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
texas
parental lock wld allow u to be logged onto ur account, and require the code to buy any stuff from iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.