Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
Hi Everyone,

I placed my order for a 27" iMac yesterday and i just wondered how satisfied you guys are (that have had them) with your new 2012 iMac's?

Are there any issues? How do you like the thinness? are they as powerful as you expected? What are your specs? that type of thing really

I've ordered the following configurations and cant wait for it to arrive :D

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
•
16GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X8GB
•
3TB Fusion Drive
•
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
•
Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
•
Apple Wireless Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
•
Apple Battery Charger
•
Accessory Kit and an Apple USB SuperDrive

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
UK
I've had my 2012 27" iMac with Fusion drive for about 4 weeks now.
I do love it more than my 2011 iMac but it hasn't been plain sailing for me.
I can't fault the build quality or screen quality, both fantastic.
The thinness is great but you only appreciate it when walking in or out of your room, from the chair, it's just as think as 2011 iMac lol

But software issues in the first few weeks annoyed me...
I lost my drives whiles partitioning for bootcamp and used to get freezing in ML.
But not things have settled down for me, reinstalling of ML and windows, everything is great.

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
I'm very happy with my system (see config in signature).
The thin form factor is visually appealing but when I'm working I'm not looking at the body, just the screen.
I've had no problems.
The Fusion drive is wonderfully fast. Hard to believe there's an ancient 5400 spinner in there. In fact it's faster now than when I first started using it, and I suppose that's the "smart" part of the Fusion doing its thing.
I'm a little biased about the performance because I upgraded from a 2006 MBP, which had a Geekbench score of ~3200. So anything is going to be screaming fast after that.
FYI, I use it for graphics and video production, no gaming.

You're going to love it. Enjoy.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
was going to make a post today about my first two weeks using my iMac....

I have to say I am over the moon with mine, I logged back onto my windows 7 system today to get some files and I dont miss it at all, apart from some of the more normal commands, like opening up two (file) explorer windows and drag and drop that way, but I am sure after using osx for same amount of time I have used windows then I will feel the same way as I do now.

the display is great, machine is super fast and quiet, mouse is a bit annoying so I got the trackpad as well, so just getting used to that. I had one 'smudge' on mine which came off (the stand) when I rubbed it, now its perfect :D

love it, amazing computer.

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
Love my new iMac. Old iMac was a 2008 2.8 GHz C2D, so this is a big step in speed for me. Screen has a lot less reflection. Despite the complaints I've read about the speakers, I think they're great -- more bass, and sound better than the speakers in my '08 iMac.

chuckiehina

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2007
I love it but...

I love my new mac (27" i7 16MB 3TB (not fusion) 675MX) but you also need to consider what is your new Mac replacing? For me, it was replace my 20" G4 iMac :eek:

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
The Fusion drive is wonderfully fast. Hard to believe there's an ancient 5400 spinner in there.

That's why I opted for the fusion drive, that and I heard that it will last longer than a normal 5400 one.

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
It is a normal 5400rpm drive...

Sorry yes I meant the SSD with the OS on it. I'm looking forward to it :) going to use mine for video editing, day to day use and the odd game (Sims 3 that kind of thing)

I've also been seeing a lot of people saying that they have had a Mac since 2006 or 2007. So it seems that they have a good life span. That's also why I invested in a Mac.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Sorry yes I meant the SSD with the OS on it. I'm looking forward to it :) going to use mine for video editing, day to day use and the odd game (Sims 3 that kind of thing)

I've also been seeing a lot of people saying that they have had a Mac since 2006 or 2007. So it seems that they have a good life span. That's also why I invested in a Mac.

Yep. iMacs are good. :) My 2009 iMac had no issues when I sold it.

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
I love my new mac (27" i7 16MB 3TB (not fusion) 675MX) but you also need to consider what is your new Mac replacing? For me, it was replace my 20" G4 iMac :eek:

It will be my first iMac, but I will use it along with my iPad which I use for university. It will be used for some video editing (university work), everyday use and some light gaming (such as the Sims 3).

oldgeezer

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
Maryland
Haven't found a thing not to love about this machine. Coming from a 2008 Core 2 Duo it's screamingly fast, particularly the Fusion Drive. Also, being able to use Thunderbolt devices is a major upgrade. Copying 250 gigs of photo files to an external USB drive took almost 4 hours. Only took 30 minutes to my new LaCie 2Big Thunderbolt drive configured for RAID 1.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Very happy with mine (specs in signature). I would recommend one to anybody. Go for the Fusion if you can afford it as its so quick and quiet. It also sorts out where stuff is kept for you which works for me.

vingi

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2012
NL
The Fusion drive is wonderfully fast. Hard to believe there's an ancient 5400 spinner in there.
There isn't.
Your fusion drive has a 7200 rpm HDD. Mine is a Seagate Barracuda.
Check: system information app (in the utilities folder) > Serial-ATA > Intel series 7 chipset > Apple HDD ST1000DM003 > rotational rate: 7200

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
the display is great, machine is super fast and quiet, mouse is a bit annoying so I got the trackpad as well

love it, amazing computer.

I haven't seen one in person yet, but i have heard the screens look great (not quite Retina but better than previous iMac's) I cant wait to get mine and see how fast it is with the new fusion drive :)

rnb2

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2006
West Haven, CT, USA
There isn't.
Check: system information app (in the utilities folder) > Serial-ATA > Intel series 7 chipset > Apple HDD ST1000DM003 > rotational rate: 7200

That's the 27" - the 21.5" has a 1TB 5400rpm 2.5" drive.

JoshMKB24

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2013
Midwest
I'm very happy with mine. I ordered mine Dec 1st and was discouraged at 1st because it said it wouldn't be delivered until Jan 2-8 but then on the 19th it said preparing to ship and then it showed up on Christmas Eve, it was a Christmas miracle!!!!! :D

I have owned all Apple computers since 2006, but this is my 1st iMac, all the rest of my computers have been laptops. I like the speed and the size of it. It is really quiet, I never hear a fan at all. I also opted for the fusion drive and I like the speed of it, but I don't know if its just the faster processor or the drive itself. However, you will hear no complaints from me :)

southerndoc

Contributor
May 15, 2006
USA
The only thing I find noticeable is a slight fan noise. It's a very very mild noise. I haven't ever heard the fan crank up. Only a slight whisper.

It's tolerable, but like anything, I wish the iMac was completely silent. Purchased the SSD not only for speed but also not to hear a hard drive churning away. So, the fan whisper takes away from complete quietness (which is probably unachievable).

As I said before, it's tolerable and doesn't bug me. I love the iMac too much to let it get in the way of that!

WrrN

macrumors regular
Oct 11, 2012
There isn't.

What!? :confused:

I thought all the fusion drives were 5400. My SysInfo also shows 7200. Am I losing my mind or did all the pre-sales hype say they would be 5400??

msg362

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Thailand
Wonderful!

I had an early 2008 24" which struggled with Premiere Pro, my 27" 3.4/3TB fusion/680MX is like a Ferrari in comparison. great screen, fast boot up, PP runs like Usain Bolt. I'm using USB 3.0 HDs to store video files as Thunderbolt is just too expensive. Can't see any lag, everything is great. Buy two! give one to your loved one!

Edited to add, the new speakers are fine, I took out my independent speakers and just depend on the internal ones when editing- saves space and wires!

Last edited:

Dave26

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
UK
Very happy with mine (specs in signature). I would recommend one to anybody. Go for the Fusion if you can afford it as its so quick and quiet. It also sorts out where stuff is kept for you which works for me.

I've ordered the 3TB fusion drive with mine, keep hearing good reviews about it so lets hope it lives up to the hype :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.