Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
Seriously...

I have an S3. Amazing phone. Sweet spot for me would have been 4.5 -4.6". Now it seems that almost any company that makes a high end Android phone is going with the obscene 5.0" screen|!!

If Apple had offered even a 4.3" proportional screen I would never have switched. Now that i have, i can't imagine dealing with the Apple restrictions and lack of customization! notification light, pull down notifications with ease of access to most used phone features. The ability to say ANSWER or DECLINE and have your phone pick up for you and put itself on speaker phone.

4.8 is just too large. yes i love the larger screen, but i must say i would have been happier with an identical spec phone with 4.6...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Totally agree about the size. I'm not against bigger screen sizes for the people that want them but phone manufacturers are trying to make them the norm and their flagships are getting bigger and bigger. If they were offering 2 versions of their flagship with one between 4.5-4.8" and one 5"+ then I'd be fine with that.

I'm worried the S4 might be too big for me but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
I'm worried the S4 might be too big for me but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Me too im waiting to see what the S4 is like before a i get a new phone, if its larger than ill probably get a Nexus 4.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Totally agree about the size. I'm not against bigger screen sizes for the people that want them but phone manufacturers are trying to make them the norm and their flagships are getting bigger and bigger. If they were offering 2 versions of their flagship with one between 4.5-4.8" and one 5"+ then I'd be fine with that.

What they will do with the S4 is reduce the bezel and increase the screen size.

The Note 2 is almost identical to the Note 1 in terms of dimensions yet the screen was increased by .25 inches.

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Me too im waiting to see what the S4 is like before a i get a new phone, if its larger than ill probably get a Nexus 4.

I have the Nexus 4 and it's a great device but I miss my S3. It felt way more comfortable to hold IMO.

What they will do with the S4 is reduce the bezel and increase the screen size.

The Note 2 is almost identical to the Note 1 in terms of dimensions yet the screen was increased by .25 inches.

It's taller though and that does make a difference for one-handed use, yes I still want to be able to use it one-handed :p

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Could you expand on this a bit? I'm curious.

Thanks!

Well the S3 is thinner and it's edges are more curved. If you can, go to a store and hold both of them and see for yourself. I'm sure there are people who prefer the way the Nexus 4 feels in the hands but not me. It's not that the Nexus 4 is uncomfortable to hold, the S3 was just more comfortable.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
2013 will be another year of the Phablet. Zte is doing one at 5.7". That is getting close to iPad mini size.

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
Even if manufacturers minimize the bezel, you're going to have issues reaching the corners of the screen with ever-increasing screen sizes. Also, using the separate back/home buttons could be much more of a pain as well.

A lot of users dislike on-screen buttons, but I dislike separate buttons below the screen even more (such as on the S3). You already have a huge screen + bezel distance to wrap your hand around, and then you're supposed to bend/stretch your thumb to the bottom corners? Uncomfortable to say the least. I much prefer the N4's buttons, which I can use without re-adjusting grip.

I really hope manufacturers keep on releasing top-spec'd options around the 4.5" screen range.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I think that the S3 is the perfect size.

It's funny because when I first saw images of the SG3 I thought it was ugly.

However, after having it two seperate times (once in July, and now more recently) I absolutely feel like it's close to being the perfect device.

The glass on this phone is the most comfortable I've ever experienced in a phone, period.

The screen size is delicious, anything bigger probably would be too much.

The SG3 is the best phone to date and made me for the first time not even make the iPhone a consideration.

My .02

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
I keep reading complaints about the Pentile (?) screen on the S3 and how bad it is compared to others. How bad is it REALLY??

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I keep reading complaints about the Pentile (?) screen on the S3 and how bad it is compared to others. How bad is it REALLY??

Not bad. Only a screen purist/snob get all up in arms about it. Back when pentile had a low PPI it was something noticeable. That's my opinion on it anyway.

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Back when pentile had a low PPI it was something noticeable. That's my opinion on it anyway.

That's true but an IPS LCD screen will always be better. Samsung skimped out on the screen on the s3.

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I'll chime in once again.

I used to think that AMOLED was wack, what with it's less that stellar brightness in the daytime and that blueish hue.

However, I've come to enjoy its' strenghs.

Deep blacks, sharper contrast, less glare, etc...

Now when I look at LCD screens they seem almost Grey and the same for blacks when powered on.

Brightness and DPI still go to LCD however.

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I think the Galaxy Notes are just too big. Watching people use them is entertaining. Maybe people like to two hand their phones all the time, but I like my 4.3" phones and would probably be fine going GS3 size as well. 4" is a bit too small and above 5 a bit too big at this point for me.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
After using the droid DNA I think that's the perfect screen size for me. I wouldn't go any bigger but I wouldn't go smaller than 4.65 inches (screen size). I have relatively large hands.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Weird argument. 4.6 is perfect, but 4.8 is too big and 5.0 is obscene? The make a variety so customers can pick up what is right for them, which for me happens to be 5.5 at the moment ... keep in mind that certain features like split window multitasking really benefits from a larger screen size and wouldn't work well on something below 5" unless it was 1080p.

----------

Not horrible but it is at a disadvantage, I'm glad they did away with it for the Note 2 and likely won't be using it in their top phones anymore.

Internaut

macrumors 65816
It's all a bit moot. The big screen phones sell. What amazes me is the UI designers haven't taken size into account and designed GUIs that can be sensibly used for important stuff with one hand (left or right). Perhaps this is why Apple hasn't ventured into the big screen phone space (i.e. it would violate some basic principles of UI design that Apple enforces rigorously).

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I just saw this on Google+...

image.jpg

:eek:

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
3.5" screen was totally overdue to go away in Apple land and in fact, the 4" screen is still pitiful compared to the competition.

For me the sweet spot is ~4.2-4.5". I've got a 5" Galaxy Player and while I like it it is just a bit too big for my liking.

Funny enough the new Galaxy Player coming out is going to sport a 5.8" screen which is just nuts unless you like watching movies on the go.

The phones/media player screen sizes are beginning to run into tablet world. Seems some companies have forgotten the idea portability.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
2013 is all about 1080P so I can understand but I don't see myself buying a Super Phone bigger than 5.5".

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
It's all a bit moot. The big screen phones sell. What amazes me is the UI designers haven't taken size into account and designed GUIs that can be sensibly used for important stuff with one hand (left or right). Perhaps this is why Apple hasn't ventured into the big screen phone space (i.e. it would violate some basic principles of UI design that Apple enforces rigorously).

I think this is a great point. One idea could be quick controls from former android stock browser or the current android 4.2 camera controls that can brought up anywhere on the screen. Imagine able to bring up controls like that anywhere in the os. Also imagine this is a feature you can turn on/off for those who are fine using large devices and regular buttons.

icsBrowser+sc1-168x300.jpg

android-4.2-camera.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.