Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dalittlegirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Hi there,

I just purchased the new imac late 2012 and started using it on January 5th,2013..
I was trying to backup my ipad today so I had it plugged into my iMac but while I was using my computer the imac was close to the edge of the desk and it fell off without me being able to catch it, which caused the usb cable to unplug until the ipad was dropped on the ground. This isn't really the problem.. but While this happened the usb cable was still attached to my imac so the imac was pulled forward and my computer was shut down accidentally. It wasn't until I looked behind the computer that I noticed the dropping of my ipad caused the power cable to unplug in that split second, which caused the imac to shut down accidentally.

Now I'm not worried about the ipad at all cause it's the first generation and there was no problem with it, but my biggest concern is whether if any damage was caused to my iMac.. I just had it a few days ago and this was so unexpected I'm sort of freaking out right now..

I turned my imac back on after securing the power cable again and there didn't seem to be any notifications or signs that it was being shut down unexpectedly.. but I'm worried if that drop caused any damage on the computer hardware and software.. especially the processor, ram, and hard drive.. just generally the entire imac itself. I'm hoping to use this imac for over 5+ years so I guess I'm just very worried that this accident will cause the life of my imac to be shortened

I ran disk utility and my macintosh drive appears to be okay... did this sort of thing ever happened to anyone, and if it did how did you mac turn out to be?

Would any files or anything be lost during this incident?
I was watching a video clip from my external drive- which was also plugged in when it happened, and was backing up my ipad but not sure if that was already done..
I hope I'm just freaking out and nothing really happened with my computer because I'm really worried... :(

Is there anything I need to do with my imac to make sure it's ok?
Do I need to contact apple support, or ask them about it?
Or should I just forget this ever happened and move on with my life...
any help would be appreciated!

AlphaDogg

macrumors 68040
May 20, 2010
Ypsilanti, MI
Calm down. It's fine. I've used my MacBook Pro without a battery, connected to the magsafe power supply many times in the past, and accidentally unplugged the power cable. Nothing happened. Really, it's fine.

dalittlegirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
what about the USB port? could it be pulled loose or something?

How do macs generally react to an accidental shut down?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"How do macs generally react to an accidental shut down?"

Generally, no problems.

After the power plug came out, did it start right up? If so, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I believe that in the case of unwanted power-downs like that, when you restart, the Mac might take a little longer to get back to the desktop because file-checking and repair routines are run automatically at reboot.

Caution: you SHOULD be careful about accidental disconnections of USB storage devices. That can cause problems sometimes...

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
If you verified the Disk using Disk Utility, and it shows no issues, then you are fine.

If the iMac was writing a file from the iPad to itself, then that particular file might be corrupted. For instance if it was copying a song or a movie from the iPad to the iMac, then that particular song or movie might be broken.

The OS is pretty robust .... so don't worry about it too much.

Have Fun!

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
The only issue you'd have is if you were transferring files.

While we're on the topic, I highly recommend getting a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). In case you have an actual power outage, it'll allow you to save your work and safely shut down. APC makes good UPSs IMO. I think it should be considered a standard accessory especially on a desktop. Laptops have batteries so they don't need one.

dalittlegirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
If you verified the Disk using Disk Utility, and it shows no issues, then you are fine.

If the iMac was writing a file from the iPad to itself, then that particular file might be corrupted. For instance if it was copying a song or a movie from the iPad to the iMac, then that particular song or movie might be broken.

The OS is pretty robust .... so don't worry about it too much.

Have Fun!

I was running disk utility for my Macintosh HD startup drive and it said it appears to be OK.
However the repair disk button was there so I clicked it regardless and it told me the Macintosh HD couldn't be unmounted.. That's when I learned start-up drives couldn't be repaired when it's being used. Could pressing the repair disk button while using that disk damage the disk itself? Or was the red remark written there just to tell you that it couldn't be done?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
I was running disk utility for my Macintosh HD startup drive and it said it appears to be OK.
However the repair disk button was there so I clicked it regardless and it told me the Macintosh HD couldn't be unmounted.. That's when I learned start-up drives couldn't be repaired when it's being used. Could pressing the repair disk button while using that disk damage the disk itself? Or was the red remark written there just to tell you that it couldn't be done?
You're fine... really. Apple purposely makes it hard for you break things. You can't repair a disk that is currently being used to run the computer. That is normal... and that is why it couldn't be "unmounted"... it is in use. No, you did not break anything by trying to repair it. Disk Utility checked, and noted that it couldn't run... and simply told you. So... relax. Your system is fine.
While we're on the topic, I highly recommend getting a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply). In case you have an actual power outage, ...

Good Advice. And... I believe more importantly it evens out the power dips - the brown outs - that aren't a full scale power outage. I've always had my desktops on a UPS and I am surprised how often it chimes to tell me that it is topping up the power. I do live in a rural area at the moment, but even in the city it chimed. I did a bunch of reading on the topic when I first made the decision to purchase one, and my understanding was that due to their frequency these little dips do more damage to a system cumulatively than straight out power outage.

YMMV....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.