Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
This baffles me have you never carried a laptop with you sure the iPad isn't the size of a deck of cards but it sure is a hell of a lot more portable then most laptops.

Yes...I own two HP laptops and a MBP. The mini is simply more portable. I've seen numerous comments of people saying they feel odd carrying their iPads outside of their homes and I do feel that way sometimes. I can see myself taking a mini with me whenever I step out of the house but with the regular iPad, unless I know where I am going where it would be useful (coffee shops, hospital waiting room, etc), I don't bother taking it with me.

Sure it's more portable than laptops but the mini is more portable than an iPad.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
It's so popular because it's a full fledged iPad in a very attractive, portable, and quite affordable package. And unlike the iPad 3rd & 4th Gen, it actually feels like a new product because it has a new design.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH
For me it's the ease of handholding and the size - it just makes it more enjoyable to use for most tasks, and makes it much more portable. While I don't have a full size iPad, I have a 10" Android tablet that I've owned for the past year and a half. (well, it's an HP Touchpad running Android). It's roughly the size and weight of an iPad 1. I know the more recent ones are lighter and thinner, but the overall dimensions are similar.

Last night I took my daughter to swim lessons. I usually browse my iPhone when there and such. I would NEVER contemplate bringing my Touchpad, nor a full size iPad with me. For one, I'd need to carry it separately, and there's nothing to rest it on for the 40 minutes of sitting, so I'd be holding it awkwardly that whole time. It would just feel too big to bring as a diversionary device. However, I didn't give a second thought to bringing my mini. It fits in my inside jacket pocket, so I didn't need to carry it, and it's small enough to be somewhat discreet while providing a superior experience to my phone. I pulled out my iPhone, tethered my mini, and used the mini the whole time. It was great. I'd never do that with a 10" tablet. I COULD, but it's more trouble than it's worth.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
surface area is size, some of the dimensions are double but overall size is 4x
this is very basic maths

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
surface area is size, some of the dimensions are double but overall size is 4x
this is very basic maths

Surface area is one aspect of the size.

When looking at the MacBook Pros, you could choose two different resolutions for the 15" MBP. While the surface area increase the screen size is considered the same.

You're right. It is basic math.

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
Surface area is one aspect of the size.

When looking at the MacBook Pros, you could choose two different resolutions for the 15" MBP. While the surface area increase the screen size is considered the same.

You're right. It is basic math.

are you saying the higher resolution of a retina 15 means it has a higher surface area than a non retina screen?

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
c'mon, you're saying the same thing, the other user was saying 2 time the size understood as 4" and 8", 4 and 8, but it's doesn't work like that talking about diagonal, surface area and dimension of a screen in inches.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
I haven't understood this at all. Why is the iPad mini twice as popular as the regular sized iPad? The mini is slightly under double the size of the iPhone, which isn't that big. Full sized iPad is about 3 times the size. Was the full sized too big or something? Or was it apple being greedy with Amazon leading the way with a cheap 7" tablet?

One major way, big iPad was TOO BIG for a lot of people.
In small airplanes and cars it simply was cumbersome to use, vs the expanse of a home.

I also suspect it is much more kid friendly, especially when you consider its weight.

Finally, I am sure many got it simply because of coolness factor and being cutting edge. One cannot tell an iPad 2, 3, or 4 apart, but one can easily recognize the mini a mile away.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
Well, this is apple forum so you will see more love than hate toward any apple products coming out.

Ipad mini, imo is a lot less capable than Ipad in many ways but people seem to look pass that because of its weight. Apple is not competing with amazon or google for cheap 7" market. Ipad mini eats away sales of their own full-sized Ipad.

Well, not true!

When RUMORS of mini, or even a SUGGESTION of a mini where posted, poster had to ware Nomex underwear (extremely flammable comments)

Only a month before release did attitudes change.

Last edited by a moderator:

tgif1386

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Because when you pull out the latest ipad, no one can tell did you have the latest or not (connector difference). But if you are pulling out a mini, people will know you have the latest Apple product. :)

halisray

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2009
MTL
Because when you pull out the latest ipad, no one can tell did you have the latest or not (connector difference). But if you are pulling out a mini, people will know you have the latest Apple product. :)

I think the dimensions and look of the Mini is why it is so popular. Speaking from a guy who has one, I bring it everywhere I go... Literally everywhere. My friends regular ipad stays at home because its like bringing a laptop around..

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.