Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Yea but they always end up releasing the modding tools after the modding community has been up and creating mods for months. I'm never really sure how they do it, I just hope there are plenty of mods.

No mod tools to the extent of Skyrim's mod tools were ever released for Far Cry or Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 had a basic map editor if I recall but it was to make your own maps, not to integrate into the main land. You might see some texture replacement mods, shader replacements, or some cheats, but probably not much else. Far Cry 2 only had 9 mods released according to the moddb.

TedM

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2012
California
No mod tools to the extent of Skyrim's mod tools were ever released for Far Cry or Far Cry 2. Far Cry 2 had a basic map editor if I recall but it was to make your own maps, not to integrate into the main land. You might see some texture replacement mods, shader replacements, or some cheats, but probably not much else. Far Cry 2 only had 9 mods released according to the moddb.

Aww thats too bad. Dreams crushed...

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I have had the same problem with finding animals I killed. I finally killed a goat so I could make the weapon sling, and never could find his body to claim the hide.:mad: I wish they had a Assassins Creed III type system where a little paw would point up out of the grass so you could find your kills.

I just had an animal I killed fall through the world. I only know because it was a quest one and the little blip to skin it was wayyyyy down below me. Had to restart the quest (sucks but not a big deal all things considered). So that might be what is happening with other animals. I don't need much for skins now though.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
I just had an animal I killed fall through the world. I only know because it was a quest one and the little blip to skin it was wayyyyy down below me. Had to restart the quest (sucks but not a big deal all things considered). So that might be what is happening with other animals. I don't need much for skins now though.

I've not had that but today I saw 2 jeeps explode 1 was at the side of a road and another had drove past me and blew up :confused: not sure if its a glitch or something.

b3av3r

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2012
Louisiana
I had a free game rental through redbox and picked up this game.

I was definitely happy with it. It looks like it is big enough to keep things interesting for a while. I like the fact there are different quest/mission types and crafting skills but they are both simple enough you don't spend hours and hours trying to complete one quest or create one new product. Coming across money was easy as well so picking up new guns and accs. wasn't an issue.

The only major complaint I had was with the crosshairs. I just didn't like them even after upgrading several guns with red dot or reflex scopes. I didn't get to use a sniper rifle, so I am just commenting on pistols, SMGs, shotguns, and assault rifles.

Overall, very nice game and will become one of my "platinum" games when they drop the price down, because I gave up on buying games when first released a long time ago.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I have the game on Xbox if anyone wants to play some Co-Op. I also capture game play and upload to YouTube.

My GamerTag is "ugp".

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I love the mayhem you only get with a sandbox, I was scoping out a Pirate compound with my Camera for roughly 5 minutes, and then a Tiger strolled in and ate everyone...

Made me feel kinda sucky at the game.. :rolleyes:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I love the mayhem you only get with a sandbox, I was scoping out a Pirate compound with my Camera for roughly 5 minutes, and then a Tiger strolled in and ate everyone...

If you come upon one of those compounds with a carnivore in a cage, you can snipe the cage the animal will escape and kill everybody it can in the camp. I had one with a tiger that killed the entire camp and the blue flag went up with me just firing one shot at the cage. :D

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis

It appears I am not the only one that encountered that. I was stalking an outpost only to hear a tiger stroll up and lay on the ground behind me. It sat there like only a kitty can while I decided to ignore it and scout the outpost. Then suddenly TIGER ATTACK, base captured, 1500 XP.

What terrified me was that the tiger was still alive and I got one shot off before I got the base captured screen. After the reward splash screen the tiger was gone.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
It appears I am not the only one that encountered that. I was stalking an outpost only to hear a tiger stroll up and lay on the ground behind me. It sat there like only a kitty can while I decided to ignore it and scout the outpost. Then suddenly TIGER ATTACK, base captured, 1500 XP.

What terrified me was that the tiger was still alive and I got one shot off before I got the base captured screen. After the reward splash screen the tiger was gone.

Must have been your spirit animal! :p I've had a few tigers take camps for me. I eventually started sniping from maximum distance. For whatever reason if you take everybody out that way it can often count as a stealth/no alarm takeover.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Thanks for the insightful reviews. I'm adding this to my Buy list. Right after I finish Borderlands 2. Oh, and that dusty copy of Uncharted 3 I've yet to start. :(

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
I've been working on taking all the Bases and it's awesome to shot a cage and let the animal do all the work. I like how the game lets me choose when to continue with the story and all. There are so many collectible items to get.

I've never had a game get my heart racing before like Far Cry 3 does. Some of the relics being in the middle of the ocean filled with sharks is terrifying even though it's only a game.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
My copy has only just arrived today, and I'm just updating before my first launch... Looking forward to this and hope it doesn't leave me questioning what the fuss is all about after I thought COD : Black Ops 2 was pretty average, and very over rated.

Running at 1920x1080p with settings on Very High, looks good impressions of first introductory mission are good. Now to explore :)

Last edited:

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Been playing a lot lately, up to 28% completion overall. Not terribly far with the missions, just doing a lot of radio towers and outposts, etc.

Gameplay-wise, I like it better than FC2, which I already loved. However, I must say I preferred the African setting for its landscape. It seemed more "real" and was more varied IMO. The island is beautiful, but a little samey after awhile. It has more interesting stuff to do though, so it doesn't get boring!

Reading up a little on the game, it seems there are actually TWO islands, a "North" and a "South" Island. Does this mean, the map that I'm working on opening up right now is actually only HALF the map of the game? Or are both islands on the same map? Will I at some point reach a point in the story missions where I can't complete some of the side stuff anymore? I remember in FC2, I couldn't go back and do the hitman missions in the Northern map, and also nothing after the game was over.

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Reading up a little on the game, it seems there are actually TWO islands, a "North" and a "South" Island. Does this mean, the map that I'm working on opening up right now is actually only HALF the map of the game? Or are both islands on the same map? Will I at some point reach a point in the story missions where I can't complete some of the side stuff anymore? I remember in FC2, I couldn't go back and do the hitman missions in the Northern map, and also nothing after the game was over.

Once the South Island is opened up you can travel back and forth between the two. Until it's opened up you can travel to the South Island at all even by boat. If I remember correctly you can see the Radio Towers on the map of the South Island but just can't get to them. I tried and killed myself. I feared this same thing.

Even once you beat all the Story Missions you can continue on, it gives you the option once you beat the game. This is so you can buy all the Maps and find all the Relics and Loot Boxes if you must.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yeah I've finished the game now, I liked how every radio tower was slightly different rather than same thing.

Ended up having lots of money that wasn't really useful other than topping up ammo at quick lockers in the bases.

Also selling stuff is pretty redundant too.

Excellent game overall, though a few disappointments which I wont share as they inevitably lead to story spoilers.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
I'm enjoying FC3 especially how I can go about the missions stealth like and if I'm lucky never get detected. I'm always running out of wallet space because money in this game is in a abundance or maybe I'm doing something right.

I hate those cheetahs/tigers, sneaky bastards always ruining my hiding spot. I make it my mission to wipe them off the rock island map...is that bad:p

Bless

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm enjoying FC3 especially how I can go about the missions stealth like and if I'm lucky never get detected. I'm always running out of wallet space because money in this game is in a abundance or maybe I'm doing something right.

I hate those cheetahs/tigers, sneaky bastards always ruining my hiding spot. I make it my mission to wipe them off the rock island map...is that bad:p

Bless

Have you got the maxed out wallet yet ?

My biggest gripe is that the game needs more NPC interactions like Skyrim or Oblivion. And by 50% into the game I was sick and tired of the same old pirates and same old ratyak.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2005
Have you got the maxed out wallet yet ?

My biggest gripe is that the game needs more NPC interactions like Skyrim or Oblivion. And by 50% into the game I was sick and tired of the same old pirates and same old ratyak.

"Who's the man? Me!"

"Come out, come out, wherever you are!"

"What the ### is that smell?"

I felt like I had heard all these lines a hundred times already, and then I took an arrow to the knee.

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
There's not much to do once you have complete the main story and cleared out all the pirates :(, and looking for the diamonds and letters is a bit tiresome after a while.

If I start the game again would I be able to keep my guns and player upgrades like you can do in Borderlands ?

Bloodraw850

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Florida
I can't tell you how many times I've been sneaking up to take a fort and screamed like a little girl when a tiger attacks me out of no where. Great times indeed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.