Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
No. I do not understand why companies think a touch screen laptop makes sense — it doesn't. The prospect seems cool, but it's a gimmick. Steve Jobs explained it himself:

Touch screen laptops are a bad move. Cool at first, pointless later (or when your arm gets tired).

EDIT: I could, however, see Apple doing a touchscreen iMac that swivels down to a level, horizontal surface. Like they patented, here:

already old.

Somebody is already showing an entire desktop being the display/computer at CES where more than one person can work on it.

So, of course one person can too.
Can't look up right now who the manufacturer is.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
why do people have to be so vague? "...'around' 14""?... what the hell good is 'around' to the laptop designer trying to make the perfect screen?!

Maybe because his requirement isn't precise. He probably wouldn't care if it's 13.9" or 14.1" -- just as long as its footprint is roughly in between the 13" and 15" models.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Well it appears that the Intel Y Series would have been a slightly more interesting topic considering hardware sporting that low power processor is going to be on sale in the next few months.

spoonie1972

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2012
will these use the same 204 pin sodimms?

what are the chances of 16gb x2 being available for both this leaner chip and in 2011, 2012 macbook pros?

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Most excited about intel HD5000. TBH you can almost do moderate gaming on the HD4000 so the HD5000 should hit that point or close.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
So do you think all of the iPad users out there that use the iPad to create media, type notes, and use productivity software with and without an attachable keyboard also have "gorilla arm syndrome"? Or are you just bashing MS because it's the "fun thing to do"?
When you are using a laptop, your body stays further away from the screen than when you are holding a tablet. Touching the screen does not feel as natural or comfortable over a period of time when you have to "reach out". In that sense, yes, it is as awkward as using an iPad with a keyboard attachment.
Hence, very few people use an iPad with a keyboard and productivity apps on iPad do not require a keyboard, even though typing on a hardware keyboard is faster if you are a no-look typist and you get to use the area of the screen covered by the virtual one for other purposes. Office on Win8 on the other hand is a hassle to use without a keyboard and mouse, but parts of the OS seems optimized for touch, creating an awkward combo.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Most excited about intel HD5000. TBH you can almost do moderate gaming on the HD4000 so the HD5000 should hit that point or close.

Except games continue to progress and thus you'll only be able to do moderate gaming on the HD5000, same as any other Intel GPU before it.

Intel sucks at GPUs.

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Back then we called them ultra-portables.
Didn't ultra-portables refer to small laptops with about 11'' square screens with less than full size keyboards? Granted Macbook Air now has an 11'' version, but the keyboard does not look as cramped, I guess the widescreen helps with fitting a relatively larger keyboard.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Didn't ultra-portables refer to small laptops with about 11'' square screens with less than full size keyboards? Granted Macbook Air now has an 11'' version, but the keyboard does not look as cramped, I guess the widescreen helps with fitting a relatively larger keyboard.

No. The MacBook Air was spawned as an ultra-portable.

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Glad I just ordered my new MBA now, was debating waiting until June for Haswell. But seems like from this report that won't be until late 2013 or early 2014 :eek:

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Isn't Intel saying Q3 '13 for Ivy-Bridge EP considering Apple completely skipped on Sandy Bridge EP ?

Intel leaked roadmap

I doubt Apple would suddenly start a new refresh based on an old model chip like the SB-EP line-up when IB-EP is around the corner.

I really don't know what Apple's doing ever since they started "refreshing" mac pros with nothing changed and a slight price drop. I'm unfamiliar with Intel's roadmap. There is always "something around the corner" which convinces the few Mac Pro stalwarts to hold out longer.

It sounds like you would know better than me. ;)

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
Haswell is coming this year! Don't fret :)

The MR article is a little vague.

An article over at xbitlabs.com suggests that Intel is releasing Haswell this year, but that the standard Haswell chips have been bumped back from April to late May or early June. Also, there is an article over at extremetech.com which further suggests that it is only the Haswell variants (i.e., LV/ULV) which are delayed until Q4 2013 or Q1 2014: "Intel has confirmed the arrival of 7-watt Ivy Bridge parts, available to OEMs today, primarily for use in tablets and laptops. Intel also confirmed that there will be 7-watt variants of Haswell, again for tablets and laptops (or, as the case may be, convertibles — but more on that in a bit). These low-power parts are designated with a “Y,” with the top-end i7-3689Y (Ivy Bridge) clocking in at 1.5GHz (2.6GHz Turbo Boost)."

It sounds like standard Haswell chips will be available but LV/ULV Haswell chips will not be available until the end of 2013 or the beginning of 2014.

ls1dreams

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2009
Isn't Intel saying Q3 '13 for Ivy-Bridge EP considering Apple completely skipped on Sandy Bridge EP ?

Intel leaked roadmap

I doubt Apple would suddenly start a new refresh based on an old model chip like the SB-EP line-up when IB-EP is around the corner.

Damn delays. Really trying to hold out for Haswell here before I do any upgrades.

ChromeCloud

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Italy
The reason they are focusing on power consumption is the days of silicon are over. They just can't get anymore out of them. I am looking forward to developments of chip design on things like graphite along with nanotechnology developments to gain more speed.

Can't really agree with you on this... I believe they are focusing on power savings because today's processors are just fast enough.

In most daily computing tasks, the real bottlenecks are storage speed and ram. Processors sit idle most of the time while waiting for the I/O bus to feed them with data.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
The MR article is a little vague.

An article over at xbitlabs.com suggests that Intel is releasing Haswell this year, but that the standard Haswell chips have been bumped back from April to late May or early June. Also, there is an article over at extremetech.com which further suggests that it is only the Haswell variants (i.e., LV/ULV) which are delayed until Q4 2013 or Q1 2014: "Intel has confirmed the arrival of 7-watt Ivy Bridge parts, available to OEMs today, primarily for use in tablets and laptops. Intel also confirmed that there will be 7-watt variants of Haswell, again for tablets and laptops (or, as the case may be, convertibles — but more on that in a bit). These low-power parts are designated with a “Y,” with the top-end i7-3689Y (Ivy Bridge) clocking in at 1.5GHz (2.6GHz Turbo Boost)."

It sounds like standard Haswell chips will be available but LV/ULV Haswell chips will not be available until the end of 2013 or the beginning of 2014.
The Ivy Bridge Y Series was rather unexpected this close to Haswell's release. This is even after Haswell was delayed from "Spring" into June. Just like I pointed out and you linked for confirmation, standard voltage Haswell is out this year and months away. Haswell Y Series? That is going to take some time.

mscice

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
wait another 12 months would blow ... I hope my early 2008 MBP survives this and 8600GT does not give up ....

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Until Apple releases one. Then it will be brilliant. :eek:

:rolleyes:
No it won't, because it is a niche product that won't find many buyers. Just wait and see how the Windows 8 touch screen notebooks won't sell.

----------

Steve also said a 7" tablet was pointless.

That's why they released an 8" tablet with a different form factor :)

----------

In that case, touch is quite clearly VERY helpful.

That thing has a ****** low resolution, costs as much as a tablet plus a notebook and is worse than both in their respective area.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.