Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of its previously announced plans to begin officially offering Apple mobile devices such as the iPhone sometime this year, T-Mobile USA has have already seen its customers bring 1.9 million iPhones onto the carrier's network. The number, which was noted by TmoNews, is growing by 100,000 devices per month.
With the numbers [T-Mobile CEO John] Legere mentioned, it's easy to imagine that T-Mobile is eager to get their "Apple Product" deal rolled out as soon as possible. Legere further mentioned that the company currently serves 1.9 million iPhone devices and is adding 100k new devices every month. Mind you, it was back on December 6th that T-Mobile mentioned they were currently serving 1.7 million iPhone devices.
T-Mobile will be the last of the four major U.S. carriers to begin officially offering the iPhone, as it has been hampered by spectrum incompatibilities that prevented the iPhone and a number of other popular devices from running at the fastest data speeds on its network. But T-Mobile has been working hard to refarm its spectrum to move its high-speed HSPA+ network over to the 1900 MHz band that is supported by the iPhone, and the carrier has met its target of making its network iPhone-ready by the end of 2012.

t-mobile_usa_logo.jpg
T-Mobile has been stepping up its efforts to attract iPhone customers, launching a "Bring Your Own iPhone" campaign late last year. Mobile virtual network operator Solavei, which operates on T-Mobile's network, has also begun targeting iPhone users on the strength of T-Mobile's improved 4G coverage.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Now Supporting 1.9 Million iPhones, Adding 100,000 Per Month

holmstockd

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
spotty at best

had the iphone 4s in DC when they officially announced it - hope there is real change because the service of "3g" on the 4s sucked at best - from K street nw to SE it was horrible...

but i am sure they will bump it better by the time they officially introduce the apple product line.

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
As soon as I can get LTE service on T-mobile with an iPhone I'm there. I'm so sick of AT&Ts BS.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I've always loved T-Mobile and their plans, but their entire 3G network is not very consistent. Even in strong AWS areas it would occasionally switch to Edge.

TOYSTER17

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2010
As soon as I can get LTE service on T-mobile with an iPhone I'm there. I'm so sick of AT&Ts BS.

Where are you located? I know Las Vegas will have LTE in the next "two to three weeks."

Can't wait for it to hit Los Angeles.

dtexan

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
I just dumped T-mobile the service with my wifes iPhone 4s was horrible. Heck even service with my Galaxy S2 was spotty at best. I live about 30 miles from downtown Dallas so I would think that it would be spot on. Oh well loving ATT so far.

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
I will probably do that too. I had T-Mobile for 9 years, used an iPhone on it until May 2011 when (after not having a contract for 7 of the 9 years) they wanted me to pay about $5/month LESS than the plan I was using with the iPhone, but wanted a 2 year contract. They wouldn't keep the old plan or even just let me switch. It was crazy so I went to the AT&T store over lunch with my unlocked phone and didn't need a contract there.

Hopefully T-Mobile will be more sane now, and provide good competition to the other 3.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
I just dumped T-mobile the service with my wifes iPhone 4s was horrible. Heck even service with my Galaxy S2 was spotty at best. I live about 30 miles from downtown Dallas so I would think that it would be spot on. Oh well loving ATT so far.

Wait until you speak with their tech support..

Call Apple instead.. ;)

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009

I love AT&T too, but I do not love how they throttle unlimited plans when only a handful of people have them on AT&T. I also hate how AT&T throttles in call data speeds. Test it out; your speeds are always throttled during calls. T-Mobile is a GSM/HSPA carrer like AT&T and DOES NOT throttle during calls.

This would be near impossible on AT&T's network.

34fznnt.png

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
My Mom inherited my unlocked iPhone 4 and we took it to T-mobile. She added a very cheap data plan and so far seems to be enjoying her first steps into smartphone land.

I think T-mobile has a business plan here, especially if the recent iPhones prove to have four or five year lifespans. I've replaced a battery on an iPhone 4 and it is an easy enough process (with the battery costing $5) so I've no concern on battery life failing on these phones. We just have to see how the build quality stands up.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I will probably do that too. I had T-Mobile for 9 years, used an iPhone on it until May 2011 when (after not having a contract for 7 of the 9 years) they wanted me to pay about $5/month LESS than the plan I was using with the iPhone, but wanted a 2 year contract. They wouldn't keep the old plan or even just let me switch. It was crazy so I went to the AT&T store over lunch with my unlocked phone and didn't need a contract there.

Hopefully T-Mobile will be more sane now, and provide good competition to the other 3.

But what are your rates now ??? (Cost rate). I am thinking of dumping AT&T for TMobile because of the stupid high rates I am paying. That and they did away with the 2 gig data pro plan and up me to 3 gig, but charged a bunch more.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I love AT&T too, but I do not love how they throttle unlimited plans when only a handful of people have them on AT&T. I also hate how AT&T throttles in call data speeds. Test it out; your speeds are always throttled during calls. T-Mobile is a GSM/HSPA carrer like AT&T and DOES NOT throttle during calls.

This would be near impossible on AT&T's network.

Agreed. I was hoping to switch to Verizon with the 5, but for some reason* Apple did not include the radio chip for voice+data on Verizon's LTE network. As t-Mobile is the only other GSM carrier, I am strongly interested in the move. It can only improve with time.

*I suspect this decision was forced by AT&T during re-negotiations with Apple in order to keep an edge over other carriers with simultaneous voice+data. Not including the necessary radio frequency seemed another excuse akin to NFC, just more business.

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
T-Mobile's 3G network is a joke

Guys, I bought an iPhone 5 after Apple started selling unlocked iPhone 5 and T-mobile CTO Neville Ray announced that Minneapolis is refarmed. Anyway, my experience was horrible. Most of the time the phone shows Edge network. Calls drop between 3G and Edge change over. The 3G signal is weak and spotty. I finally put away my iPhone 5 and now am back on my Samsung Galaxy S2. If you are coming to T-mobile for lower cost, be prepared to live with Edge coverage and weak signal inside buildings. Worse, T-mobile is the only network in the US that refuses to provide any 3G coverage maps while shamelessly advertising its iPhone 3G network to AT&T customers. I think you are better off on Verizon for real LTE coverage. If cost is a problem then AT&T. If you have money to throw then T-mobile is acceptable.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
*I suspect this decision was forced by AT&T during re-negotiations with Apple in order to keep an edge over other carriers with simultaneous voice+data. Not including the necessary radio frequency seemed another excuse akin to NFC, just more business.

You might be mistaken. Apple is noted for implementing designs that are best for their users. Making great products is in Apple's DNA - they don't know how to make anything that is not the best that could possibly be made.

Other companies use bean counters in the design process, but not Apple. They don't even take into consideration what the costs might be, but instead, they just make the best darn products that they know how.

Apple's success has been precisely because they DON'T care one whit about profitability. All they ever think about is making great products and how those products will help their customers to live better lives.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
You might be mistaken. Apple is noted for implementing designs that are best for their users. Making great products is in Apple's DNA - they don't know how to make anything that is not the best that could possibly be made.

Other companies use bean counters in the design process, but not Apple. They don't even take into consideration what the costs might be, but instead, they just make the best darn products that they know how.

Apple's success has been precisely because they DON'T care one whit about profitability. All they ever think about is making great products and how those products will help their customers to live better lives.

I assume this is sarcasm ;)

jimsowden

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2003
NY
From my experience, T-Mobile isn't ready for primetime. I ordered a prepaid microsim (only $1 online to order one, if anyone is interested), and then activated it with their killer Unlimited Text and Internet (5gb at HSDP+) and 100 plan for $30 a month. Ready to be blown away, because the iPhone 4 they had in the store had full bars 3G, and was lightening fast.

It was a much different story in my house and town, which might I ad have a population an order of magnitude higher than where the T-Mo store was. Edge everywhere, and not very strong at all. All services were intermittent at best - calling was fine but iMessages failed with full bars edge and never came through. Not much loaded. Even when I drove around to find a 3G area, iMessage was still inconsistent.

So I hope they iron out their AWS 1900 problems. Once they get their whole network converted it stands a chance of being very competitive. But right now I'll stick with straight talk, and my full bars 3G all over my house and town. Well worth $15 extra dollars. Here's hoping I can get straight talk LTE in a little while!

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Of coooouuuuuuurrrssee! T-Mobile supporting iPhones AFTER I start a new two year contract with AT&T.

Here's to hoping they're ready for me in two years when I'll be in a better spot to dump AT&T for good!

Gillespie81

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2011
Minnesota
i have t-mobile switched from att and I'm happy with the service. i live just outside Minneapolis and have edge, but when im at work closer to the city im on 3g and have wifi at home or other places signal. im fine on edge, i don't do crazy things online that need the speed. the 3g is quick about what i noticed speeds when i lived in phoenix with att. the customer service alone is worth it, thats why i switched from att.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
I assume this is sarcasm ;)

I don't think so. That's one of the reasons why they are successful. Even Steve said that Apple makes great products that he likes, and he hoped that you did too.

From my experience, T-Mobile isn't ready for primetime. I ordered a prepaid microsim (only $1 online to order one, if anyone is interested), and then activated it with their killer Unlimited Text and Internet (5gb at HSDP+) and 100 plan for $30 a month. Ready to be blown away, because the iPhone 4 they had in the store had full bars 3G, and was lightening fast.

It was a much different story in my house and town, which might I ad have a population an order of magnitude higher than where the T-Mo store was. Edge everywhere, and not very strong at all. All services were intermittent at best - calling was fine but iMessages failed with full bars edge and never came through. Not much loaded. Even when I drove around to find a 3G area, iMessage was still inconsistent.

So I hope they iron out their AWS 1900 problems. Once they get their whole network converted it stands a chance of being very competitive. But right now I'll stick with straight talk, and my full bars 3G all over my house and town. Well worth $15 extra dollars. Here's hoping I can get straight talk LTE in a little while!

If I am not mistaken, the iPhone 4S and earlier are only compatible with T-Mobiles Edge network. The iPhone 5 is the one that is supposed to be comparable with their newer higher speed networks. There was even an article on MacRumors discussing this. I know several people that use older iPhones on T-Mobile, and they just don't care about the slower data rates.

Edit: Here is the link, it mentions that testing was done using a 4S. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1437394/

Last edited:

stayblunted

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2012
Currently enjoying my $30 prepaid plan in NYC, iPhone 4s btw. 3G in full effect, edge might pop here and there tho.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I don't think so. That's one of the reasons why they are successful. Even Steve said that Apple makes great products that he likes, and he hoped that you did too.

That was directed at iGrip, as it is along the lines of his sarcastic/humorous posts. :)

(oh, and he really doesn't believe what he wrote, if you know his posts)

Last edited:

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
As soon as Apple releases iOS 6.1, I will buy a factory unlocked iPhone 5 and happily dump AT&T and switch to T-Mobile.

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
Why switch to T-Mobile?

Just switch to StraightTalk, which uses AT&T's network. $45 for unlimited calling and texting and 2GB of data. No commitment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.