Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Hmmm... it's moved beyond Digitimes "reporting." Maybe there's something to the rumor?

Exactly. The WSJ is also common venue for Apple's controlled leaks. Apple hasn't ever produced a product specifically for an emerging market, so this would be a big deal.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Oh no. What will some posters here be able to counter the crappy plastic Samsung, LG and other "crap" with if Apple makes a cheap version of their iPhone in PLASTIC?! Oh nozzzzzz

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I guess it'll help broaden the customer base, but its kind of frustrating to know poor people will be able to get the same phone as me :(

yod

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2012
London
I'm more eager to believe this than Apple keeping 3.5 inch iPhones for much longer.

Although a smaller cheaper iPhone could mean huge cannabilasation of current iPhone and may not be such a smart move - Aside from iPod nano which serves a portability purpose I can't recall when Apple had made a low end product just to sell to a wider audience (even basic MacBooks have always been pretty pricey laptops compared to high end pc laptops)

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.

Wow. If owning any electronic device makes you feel elite, or special, or different, or unique in ANY WAY, maybe you should start spending your money on psychiatric evaluation?

Just a thought. A thought that I had without the aid of my Apple products.

So sad to see what is happening...

----------

Why. I sincerely would love to know.

Because he lacks the imagination or integrity to supply any contribution to the Earth. Therefore, he uses a brand name to do the heavy lifting for him.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
The same thing happened to Porsche. It used to be a brand that was for those with truly great taste. They could turn heads and become the subject of conversation just by driving past. But now, anybody can buy one at some crappy used car lot.

Remember back when you could get a whole conference room full of meeting attendees to stop and redirect their attention just by pulling out an iPhone?

Nowadays every pimply faced high school loser has an iPhone. And Apple wants to make them cheaper?

Whatever.
You're not elite if you think Porsche and Apple are status symbols. :p

Time to show how baller you are, and step up to Bugatti for your transportation needs.

Monk Edsel

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2004
Aside from iPod nano which serves a portability purpose I can't recall when Apple had made a low end product just to sell to a wider audience

Behold: the Mac mini! The price has creeped up from the initial $499 offering, but the idea behind the machine was to lower the cost of entry for Windows users who were used to buying cheap beige boxes.

Ah, and I just recalled the iPod mini (which precedes the nano, of course), the eMac, and the iPod shuffle. IMO the original shuffle is the closest Apple-as-we-know-it has come to pushing out cheap plastic junk.

Last edited:

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Could be the T-Mobile iPhone

Or they offer both the expensive and cheaper version.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
I don't see the point in this really, wouldn't they be competing against themselves if they did this? I doubt that many people would care the difference between plastic and metal/glass, most people put their phones into a case anyway.

I think they have a good system going here with having previous generation iPhones be a lower price to make having an iPhone still affordable and ranking on price depending on generation, rather than materials that the shell is made out of but other than that it's pretty much identical..
I think that would just hurt a lot of their sales.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
You're not elite if you think Porsche and Apple are status symbols. :p

Time to show how baller you are, and step up to Bugatti for your transportation needs.

I personally love the Lotus Esprit - which is already more "elite" than the Porsche

Newsflash for the uninformed. You can get variants of the iPhone for 99, 49 and even free.

Your iPhone? It's just a phone. A nice phone. It's not a status symbol nor is it special.

When it first launched at it was rare - it might have been a status symbol. But that's mostly because a lot of people still needed a business phone and the original iPhone couldn't replace business functions - it was just a REALLY cool phone that early adopters could showcase.

Disclosure: I had an original iPhone. But I also didn't wave it around like it was a jesus device.

Last edited:

Eric E. Schmidt

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2012
Calif
good. nice to see apple adding a little diversity to their mobile lineup. like their macs, there's no such thing as one size fits all.

the iphone was a bi-product of ipad development, i think they are still a little startled it turned into their main revenue maker :)

DJJAZZYJET

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Cheaper iPhones. Good Joke. The only time an iPhone gets cheaper is when the next model releases.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Hmm...I have a hard time believing Apple is going to start making a plastic phone. How many products do they currently sell that are plastic (outside of accessories). I guess anything is possible but even this report seems to be more guessing than solid rumors.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Don't see how the replacing aluminum case with a plastic one will make it cheaper. The most expensive part I believe is still the flash memory. Wasn't Apple tinkering around with stream only iPhones with enough memory for Apps/iOS to keep costs down? Even with the 3G>4 redesign, the price still stayed the same. Guess people just want a 3G style flimsy plastic iPhone back.
It is probably the usual marketing, perceived value that the plastic body alone is what is going to lower the price.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
It's pretty hard to be less expensive than a $0 iPhone 4 (in the US, anyway).

on a subsidized contract. the cost of the phone still reminds roughly $450 or whatever it is.

if this is true, apple wants to capture the prepaid/payasyougo market where you pay upfront for the phone and are not locked into a contract.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.