Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple803

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
I am trying to connect to my office share drive using the Mac VPN client. The connection works at home, and has worked at several other locations. Where I am having trouble is connecting to the share over my mobile hotspot, or any hotspot for that matter. The VPN connects, but when I go to connect to the share, the connection fails. I have verified that the ip address at the office 10.0.0.xxx is different than the ip address for the hotspot.

Any thoughts about why this will not work on the hotspots?

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
It seems like the mobile hotspot is filtering out specific ports. I believe there's a thread here somewhere on the same topic. Check with your hotspot device manufacturer or your mobile carrier for more information.

If you can't find anyone who knows anything (this is expected), try using the NMAP or ZenMap applications to "port scan" your computer remotely. It will let you know if those ports are visible and able to be connected to. Your VPN ports should be visible on a regular connection. If they aren't on the mobile hotspot, you know something (either the device or the ISP) is filtering them.

A work-around is to find the non-filtered ports and do port mapping. SSH is filtered at my work so I use an alternate port with port mapping in my Airport Express.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.