Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2011
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.

/satire, right? Right?

rendevouspoo

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2012
Don't see how the replacing aluminum case with a plastic one will make it cheaper.

Just ask the other MacRumors posters. When the Apple vs Android debate comes up, the No. 1 argument is 'Android is cheaper because it has cheap plastic,' which is, in every sense of the word, idiotic.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I would hope and expect the larger but lower cost iPhone (maxi-cheap) is released exclusively in China, India, Brazil, and Italy. Italy does not allow postpaid contracts and China does not have an established credit system, not that that's a bad thing. . . .

Sole compute and communication device for these folks.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.

You know what you could do to keep your so-called "elite" status? Hire your own programmers, hardware designers, etc. and have a custom phone built for you!

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
The same thing happened to Porsche. It used to be a brand that was for those with truly great taste. They could turn heads and become the subject of conversation just by driving past. But now, anybody can buy one at some crappy used car lot.

Remember back when you could get a whole conference room full of meeting attendees to stop and redirect their attention just by pulling out an iPhone?

Nowadays every pimply faced high school loser has an iPhone. And Apple wants to make them cheaper?

Whatever.

So Apple to you, is like say a Saks fifth Ave product affordable to a select few.

Damn you Steve Jobs! How dare you design something that instead of changing ONLY a few peoples lives, changes the world!

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Hmm...I have a hard time believing Apple is going to start making a plastic phone. How many products do they currently sell that are plastic (outside of accessories). I guess anything is possible but even this report seems to be more guessing than solid rumors.
I thought all iPhones were plastic through the 3GS.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
You're not elite if you think Porsche and Apple are status symbols. :p

Time to show how baller you are, and step up to Bugatti for your transportation needs.

Too late. Once I found out that a nouveau-riche commoner like Simon Cowell had purchased a Bugatti Veyron, I knew that its days as a status symbol were over. I gave mine away and bought a platinum-plated Lamborghini de' Medici V12. You unwashed plebes won't have heard of it, because I had it commissioned, and it's the only one in existence.

As for Apple products, I still deign to use them, only because they're less gauche than the competition.

Now if you'll excuse me, there's a snifter of 140-year-old Hardy Perfection cognac waiting for me in my study.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
The iphone 4 8GB should be $399 off contract and unlocked. There. Problem solved. They can also continue to release the 3GS for $299. They can still make plenty of profit on both of those devices at those price points. It will also allow everyone to own an iphone if they so choose.

3GS - $299
4 - $399
4s - $549
5 - $699

Renzatic

Suspended
The iphone 4 8GB should be $399 off contract and unlocked. There. Problem solved. They can also continue to release the 3GS for $299. They can still make plenty of profit on both of those devices at those price points. It will also allow everyone to own an iphone if they so choose.

A 3GS for $300? An 8GB iPhone 4 for $400? Seriously?

There's a fine line between charging a premium for a solid product and gouging a bunch of suckers with more money than sense.

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
The same thing happened to Porsche. It used to be a brand that was for those with truly great taste. They could turn heads and become the subject of conversation just by driving past. But now, anybody can buy one at some crappy used car lot.

Remember back when you could get a whole conference room full of meeting attendees to stop and redirect their attention just by pulling out an iPhone?

Nowadays every pimply faced high school loser has an iPhone. And Apple wants to make them cheaper?

Whatever.

Why would you be checking your iPhone in a meeting?

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
I'd choose a black polycarbonate iphone 5 any day over the current aluminum version, it just makes more sense. The stainless steel 4's were so much more scuff resistant than the current soft aluminum so just give me light weight quality plastic. It wouldn't chafe in the case any worse than what I have now. If it's cheaper, that's a plus as well.

I never get the hate for plastic, If its done right then it can be a fantastic material.

wonderspark

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2010
Oregon
Why would you be checking your iPhone in a meeting?
He's above all the worthless, no-account mortals in the meeting, of course.

Or, he's actually the one who *called* the meeting, and what he had to say put everyone to sleep, so he whipped out his iPhone and finally got their attention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.