Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
You really think a 4 inch screen is going to fly for the next 3.5 years?

The market want's larger screens. If Apple refuses to adapt they will be left behind.

I guarantee, we will see a larger iPhone in 2014. Maybe even this year still, but doubtful. I still think we'll just see an iPhone 5S in Summer / Fall, using same exact form factor as the current iPhone 5, just upgraded hardware. And that iOS7 will be the big deal this year, a revamped UI being the big change.

And then in 2014, we will see an all new phone design and shape, with a 4.3" screen.

But just maybe, we will see the 4.3" iPhone this year, but can't see really that happening, with Apple just releasing a whole new design just last October, they typically seem to stay with a new design for two years. I bet the iPhone 6 in 2014 will be the big update.

In 2014 all Android phones will be around 5" screen size. So even a 4.3" increase in iPhone screen size will seem small, but in my opinion the perfect size for a phone.

bradPiano

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2011
I just picked up an iPhone 5 in black. It had been around 3 years since my last new phone (Nexus One), so it was definitely time, but I have had some concerns about the new phone rumors.

Currently, the 5 does everything I need it to do (and then some). I'm VERY happy with the media quality and speed. My only issue is (like others), the software. I've gotten used to iOS with my iPad 2. Using the same software on this phone, however, I'm noticing some usability issues that even my N1 wasn't experiencing.

Is everyone in agreement that the next os (iOS 7) will be a big improvement and that it will remain compatible for the iPhone 5?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I just picked up an iPhone 5 in black. It had been around 3 years since my last new phone (Nexus One), so it was definitely time, but I have had some concerns about the new phone rumors.

Currently, the 5 does everything I need it to do (and then some). I'm VERY happy with the media quality and speed. My only issue is (like others), the software. I've gotten used to iOS with my iPad 2. Using the same software on this phone, however, I'm noticing some usability issues that even my N1 wasn't experiencing.

Is everyone in agreement that the next os (iOS 7) will be a big improvement and that it will remain compatible for the iPhone 5?

The Nexus-One is a classic phone. The Nexus 4 would have also been a sweet upgrade for you, but impossible to find that phone today.

iOS7 is rumored to be a MAJOR update, and I would think the iPhone 5 will get everything iOS7 has to offer. Typically most previous last gen iPhone's get the new iOS update. The iPhone 4S got iOS6 right away, not sure if it got 100% everything the iPhone 5 w/iOS6 got, but I think so ?

duhyes

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
how will it be a huge ios update?

WHat is gorilla glass?

----------

Do you think Apple is worried about competition now ? Samsung and their Galaxy line has become extremely popular and selling a ton this year. And the upcoming Galaxy S IV looks to be a super phone, with 1080p screen, and all new redone Touchwizz, due out in Spring, that phone will be major competition to the iPhone 5.

I think Apple needs to update iOS more than the iPhone itself.

no they need to update both, samsung galaxy is a really good phone, it has very good nature features like touching phones together etc knows when your asleep

cheezeit

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Dallas, TX
iPhone 5 hardware isn't bad. Definately could use more software updates to it. And having 2 sizes of iPhones would be nice. More choices is always nice. Personally I go back to the iPhone size cause I like the one-handed use more than a larger screen which makes use 2 hands most of the time.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I just want my 32GB White iPad Mini with Retina, will be good enough for me, and hopefully they will do something with this iOS update. I have had an iPhone since 2008 and it is getting really boring with the same iOS, minus the feature updates they have done during this timeframe.

Looking forward to a new phone and iOS, but until then, keeping my iPhone 5. Tired of upgrading every other phone using the S models, so sticking with the 5 as it is the best since the 3GS upgrade.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
I do not see why Apple can't release two different sized iPhone's ? Keep the 4" for the majority, and offer like a 4.3" or 4.5" size too. See how that goes for one year in sales ? I bet the larger sized iPhone might surprise them, and be the bigger seller.

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
No redesign for iPhone 5S...Small improvements to iOS, Camera, SIRI

No redesign for iPhone 6... Some improvements to iOS, CPU, Camera, SIRI, Antenna, Gorilla glass, perhaps more memory

No redesign for iPhone 6S...Some minor improvements

Some redesign for the iPhone 7, but not larger...Some improvements to iOS, CPU, Camera, SIRI, Home button.

iPhone 8 may see a design change, but not 5 inches

People better sell their apple stock right now if your predictions is accurate. It will be worth less than the paper it's printed on.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
It's actually getting ridiculous at the pace of updates with mobile phones. 99.99% of the users will never notice a faster processor, and that is the biggest gimmick out there. Most people buy a phone based on name, size of screen, how "pretty" the screen looks and can I play my music and watch videos. Dual core, quad core, processor speed mean nothing to most, and should mean nothing based on the way people use smartphones.

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia

No redesign for iPhone 6... Some improvements to iOS, CPU, Camera, SIRI, Antenna, Gorilla glass, perhaps more memory

Some redesign for the iPhone 7, but not larger...Some improvements to iOS, CPU, Camera, SIRI, Home button.

I would not buy your imaginary iPhone 6 - Infact none of your pretend future models

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
iPhone 6 should be different from what the 4 thru 5 looks like. Don't get me wrong I'm enjoying my 4s very much. Apple should have something that's going to make people say wow that's awesome.

That was the 5!

Radically new internals, new exterior (utilizing a new fabrication process) using different materials that still pays tribute to its predecessors. It has all the trademarks of iconic design.

Forget about a radical difference in appearance. That would be a mistake. Then again, I'm a 911 lover.

----------

I do not see why Apple can't release two different sized iPhone's ? Keep the 4" for the majority, and offer like a 4.3" or 4.5" size too. See how that goes for one year in sales ? I bet the larger sized iPhone might surprise them, and be the bigger seller.

They did release 2 sizes. You're just not happy with the options.

kevpan815

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2013
Algonquin, IL U.S.A.
Considering the fact that Major Release IOS Beta Testing usually does NOT begin until the First Day of WWDC (which is usually held in June or July), I would say that we are looking at another Fall Release for the next IPhone. Kevpan815, ADP Member.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I can care less what the phone looks like anymore, I'm ready for the long awaited ios change that we all hope Mr. Ive will bring. iOS7 or iOS8?

keitarou

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2012

But they have been offering different sized iPhones, 3.5" and 4".

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
What are the % to any truth of rumors, that Apple will go all new this year with an iPhone6, not just a minor iPhone 5S ? And that it will be released in Summer, like iPhone's used to be.

And that iOS7 will be a MAJOR update, the biggest iOS update in years ?

Or do you believe, we'll just see an iPhone 5S in October ?

Rumours pointed to Iphone 5 in summer 2011.

We got Iphone 4S.

Rumours point to Iphone 6 in 2013 but it will more than likely be called Iphone 5S.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Apple with one product is going to have a hard time competing with Android. I'm a big fan of their model unlike Blackberry who released a ton of phones while their software remained slower and less innovative than competitors, although stable. I do think it's time for an iPhone mini at 4" and the exclusive 5"+ model as the flagship.

Then again, we're fast approaching a time where the size, screen quality, and camera are not good enough to be innovative. So we'll see who can develop these devices for something more than they are currently intended for.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
With Ive in control now, I bet we see a major iOS update in the next iPhone, while the phone itself might remain the same for another year, I think software will be the big update this year.

And next year in 2014, we see a whole new phone szie and new design.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
New Iphone coming June-July. Apple has to pick up pace with others as far as release of 1 per year. Understandably, next Iphone will not be completely different. However Iphone 6 might have IGZO screen, NFC chip, larger screen.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 6, 2012
Ive has told the New York Times that he will waste no time overhauling the design of iOS to make it fit in more with his own minimalist hardware designs.

Ive’s iOS makeover will incorporate “clean edges, flat surfaces” to “replace the textures that are all over the place right now.” From a practical perspective, AppleInsider says this means that “software designed to look like real-life textures, such as linen or felt, is expected to become a thing of the past.” In other words, expect the next version of iOS to have a sleeker, more industrial look to it than the current version.

http://bgr.com/2012/11/01/apple-ios-rumor-ive-makeover-planned/

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Although I don't think it's likely, I hope apple does something like this

iPhone 5s- Same design as iPhone 5, but with A7, iOS 7 etc.
iPhone 6- 4.5-5 inch screen to compete with the growing number of flagships with larger screens.

Samsung is doing this with the Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy S3 Mini. Why can't Apple? Yes it would add some slight...oh no not the F word!!!.....fragmentation, but I think it's necessary for apple to compete. If only iOS apps would scale like Android does.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Although I don't think it's likely, I hope apple does something like this

iPhone 5s- Same design as iPhone 5, but with A7, iOS 7 etc.
iPhone 6- 4.5-5 inch screen to compete with the growing number of flagships with larger screens.

Samsung is doing this with the Galaxy S3 and the Galaxy S3 Mini. Why can't Apple? Yes it would add some slight...oh no not the F word!!!.....fragmentation, but I think it's necessary for apple to compete. If only iOS apps would scale like Android does.
That might be the key to minimal fragmentation in iOS.

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE

i imagine this is your imagination. anyways, with history and previous patterns, i wholeheartidly, disagree with you.

Do you think Apple is worried about competition now ? Samsung and their Galaxy line has become extremely popular and selling a ton this year. And the upcoming Galaxy S IV looks to be a super phone, with 1080p screen, and all new redone Touchwizz, due out in Spring, that phone will be major competition to the iPhone 5.

I think Apple needs to update iOS more than the iPhone itself.

agree. definately, if they open up iOS with more user customization (widgets, is 1 example) it'll do a ton of good for the phone! atleast will attract a lot more people.

People using the iPhone 5, that have also had recent high end Android phones, like the Galaxy S III, or Nexus phones. What is your opinion of the iPhone 5 in comparison ?

i used a iphone 3g, then got the i4. sold the i4 in oct'12 and picked up a galaxy s3. now although i loved the screen size and customization options available to me, i did face my share of bugs and errors. the phone randomly stopped charging for a day, i lost my copy-paste funcationality after installing google chrome (this is a HUGE issue with the sgs3 - a simple google search will show u tons of discussion threads on this bug), my whatsapp msg screen began flickering while i typed on the keypad... little annoying things like this would drive me nuts! some of the pro's were 'kies air' software. very nice idea... i dont think apple has something like that?? i may be wrong here. if they do, id love to know more. also, the option that i could install apps from my google store on my pc and have it installed on my phone automatically. moreover, i could install apps on my friends phones as well (ofcourse id need their pwords n all, but its still a feature). so a couple of good things going for android but the minor bugs n issues still exist.

1 month into the sgs3, my wife gifted me an i5 and im happy im in a bug free environment now. i do miss the screen size only, every now n then, but thats about it. 4.5" iphone5, jailbroken... that'd be perfect for me! :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.