Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Hi all

I've done the MBP stuff and moved onto iMacs as the Ipad filled the gap for mobile browsing and light gaming for me.

I then purchased a new 27" iMac because of the 680MX video card and fusion drive ( like SSD performance )

Anyway I think the screen is too big and causing eye strain, so it might be going back. I'm looking at the rMBP now, with 512 SSD and 16GB ram

As anyone compared the difference in performance between the iMac i5 3.2 and the rMBP i7 ? Also how much better/quicker is the real SSD on the rMBP.

I've noticed using bootcamp on the fusion drive its doesn't use SSD so its slower than OSX. I take it that windows 7 uses SSD and would be much quicker on the rMBP

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have the 13" rMBP so I can't answer all your questions, but yes, Windows 7 will run a lot faster on a true SSD than it does on the HDD portion of the Fusion drive. Windows 7 is optimized to take advantage of SSDs.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
Which 27" iMac? i5 w/ 680MX or i7 w/ 680MX?

I have a iMac with Processor 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5, 680MX video card, fusion drive and 32GB ram

Was thinking of the rMBP I7 and 16GB ram with 512 SSD

Much difference in speed. I would guess the SSD would be better under windows 7 for some light gaming. The fusion drive doesn't work under windows 7

ipodmac

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
UK
I would swap the 27inch imac for the 15inch macbook. What can you do on the iMac that you can't do on the macbook?
The true ssd is also better and you have the advantage of being able to move it around

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
really comes down to,

do you want the 27" gorgeous screen or a 15" gorgeous screen?
do you want to be static or mobile?

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
really comes down to,

do you want the 27" gorgeous screen or a 15" gorgeous screen?
do you want to be static or mobile?

I feel the 27" maybe to big. I had a 21" and it felt great

I upgraded to a 27" as the 21" was 3 years old and I wanted more speed and GPU

The 27" has the 2GB 680MX but I wait for the I5 not I7

Now I have the 27" it feels quite large and in my face/eyes. I ended up going to the Apple store and looking at the rMBP. They feel easy on the eyes and for the same price as the Imac I can get a BTO maxed out rMBP

How is the gaming noise on the fans ? I can't find many youtube videos of the fans in action. My old MBP 2008 screamed under load, is the new rMBP still like this

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The fans on my 13" rMBP are remarkably quiet (noticeably quieter than on my MacBook Air). I hardly ever hear them. They have done a good job with the thermal management and the asymmetric blades.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Now I have the 27" it feels quite large and in my face/eyes.

This is going to be a silly question, but have you tried moving it farther back? A 27" display is designed to be further from your face than a 21" display. Just as a 42" TV is meant to be even farther back.

beerglass007

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2008
This is going to be a silly question, but have you tried moving it farther back? A 27" display is designed to be further from your face than a 21" display. Just as a 42" TV is meant to be even farther back.

Yeah Its 25" from my face.

If I go to far back I can see the fonts on some web pages...

Dre180

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2012
NY
Hi all

I've done the MBP stuff and moved onto iMacs as the Ipad filled the gap for mobile browsing and light gaming for me.

I then purchased a new 27" iMac because of the 680MX video card and fusion drive ( like SSD performance )

Anyway I think the screen is too big and causing eye strain, so it might be going back. I'm looking at the rMBP now, with 512 SSD and 16GB ram

As anyone compared the difference in performance between the iMac i5 3.2 and the rMBP i7 ? Also how much better/quicker is the real SSD on the rMBP.

I've noticed using bootcamp on the fusion drive its doesn't use SSD so its slower than OSX. I take it that windows 7 uses SSD and would be much quicker on the rMBP

I am in the exact same position as you. I couldn't decide between the two. I needed to upgrade my 2007 MBP and like you was enticed by the graphics card and speedier processor on the iMac. I have a big space and desk for my mac, yet I couldn't get past the fact the 27" imac is just way too big for me. Unnecessarily big imo.

I had the eye strain as well. You would think with the bigger screen that wouldn't be the case but certain fonts were way too small for me, for instance the top menu bar in osx. And my eyesight is fairly good. So I returned it for the MBP retina. It should be here next week and I can't wait.

Depending on how you intend to use the machine maybe that graphics card is important to you IDK. But the one in the MBP is no slouch and should be more than sufficient for most tasks. As a benefit you get the retina display, and pure SSD. I'm not keen on the fusion drive compared to all SSD. It's better than a standard HDD no doubt, but that was also one of my gripes with the new iMac. To get all flash, you had to pay an arm and a leg.

In the end it was a Really fast, great performing machine, but I just felt like that screen was gonna swallow me! I'd rather have the flexibility that the retina MBP provides and add a smaller external display if needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.