Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ARMOR-BLOG-IMAGE.jpg
Aiming to compete with waterproof but usable iPhone cases like the Lifeproof, Otterbox has announced its Armor Series of cases. The case is designed to protect the phone from submersion for up to 30 minutes as well as 10 foot drops.
Innovative design elements make the OtterBox Armor Series best in class when it comes to protection. Watertight latches, an o-ring seal, port covers and mesh coverings keep water out and allow the Armor Series to tolerate submersions for 30 minutes in up to 6.6 ft. of water. Vents and port covers are made of a non-permeable membrane and protective mesh layer that allows sound to move through while keeping harmful elements out.

The interior and exterior of the case features advanced materials that protect the device from 10 ft. drops. Over-molded bumpers in each corner of the case absorb shock and the high-strength reinforced plastic of the Armor Series can withstand up to two tons of force. Soft interior foam provides a cushioned, custom fit for the device, while the built-in screen protector prevents scratches and damage to the glass display.
The case will ship on February 22 for the iPhone 4/4S and "soon" for the iPhone 5. Otterbox is taking sign-ups for customers who wish to be notified when the case goes on sale.

Article Link: Otterbox Announces Waterproof "Armor Series' iPhone Cases

MrDc2

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2013
Otterbox cases are pretty awesome. Looking forward to this one! :apple:

Though the LifeProof cases are " ...waterproof, dust-proof and shock-proof..". I wonder if Otterbox has these features too?

Vlad33141

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
This case is way too expensive, $99.00 for it,the Lifeproof is cheaper than that. I was hoping that they would have been at a cheaper price.

Vlad33141

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2011
It's on the email they sent earlier today

----------

It's on their website. $99.00

MordechaiCarver

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2011
Denver, CO
Dust-proof, eh? Is the camera protection just glass or is there a something that keeps dust out by covering the glass too? How about a dust-resistant case...one that doesn't allow dust to accumulate in the corners of the screen protector and over the camera glass. Show me one that prevents this and it'll be the next case I buy. This Ballistic HC case (which I highly recommend over the Defender) has glass protection over the camera lens, but no cover you can slide across or put on when you're not using the camera so dust doesn't accumulate.

Attachments

• IMG_0201.jpg
    IMG_0201.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 238
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    582.6 KB · Views: 242

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California
Dust-proof, eh? Is the camera protection just glass or is there a something that keeps dust out by covering the glass too? How about a dust-resistant case...one that doesn't allow dust to accumulate in the corners of the screen protector and over the camera glass. Show me one that prevents this and it'll be the next case I buy. This Ballistic HC case (which I highly recommend over the Defender) has glass protection over the camera lens, but no cover you can slide across or put on when you're not using the camera so dust doesn't accumulate.

Griffin Survivor has a camera cover. And it's a great case. Only splash proof though. But it is the one I use when I go to the beach or travel.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Griffin Survivor has a camera cover. And it's a great case. Only splash proof though. But it is the one I use when I go to the beach or travel.

Next time I take my phone out of my survivor I plan on seeing how water resistant it is. I would guess it could easily handle a few second of full submersion without/with little water penetration. I'll also see how much dust makes it's way in over the course of a couple of months. The only weak spot I see in it would be the seal on the front snap on cover.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
The case will ship on February 22 for the iPhone 4/4S and "soon" for the iPhone 5.

This is wrong info. According to Otterbox:

"We're proud to announce the Armor Series will be available for purchase on February 22 for iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5. The Samsung Galaxy S3 availability will be announced in future email communication."

whiteyanderson

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2007
Hollywood, California
Next time I take my phone out of my survivor I plan on seeing how water resistant it is. I would guess it could easily handle a few second of full submersion without/with little water penetration. I'll also see how much dust makes it's way in over the course of a couple of months. The only weak spot I see in it would be the seal on the front snap on cover.

I mainly use it at the beach because it does a good job at keeping sand out. Especially the camera. So I can just toss it into one of the pockets in my surf bag and not worry about it really. It can handle a little indirect moisture, never dared full immersion though. :) Never had any issue with sand getting in the front. I would imagine that is the weak link for water though.

I like the case a lot, it is bulky as hell, but it has saved me more than a few times on drops. $99 is a lot of dough for a case IMHO considering the cost of the phone if you bought on contract. I think the Griff is fairly priced.

Candlelight

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
New Zealand
Vents and port covers are made of a non-permeable membrane and protective mesh layer that allows sound to move through while keeping harmful elements out.

So now you can make those phone calls underwater like you've always wanted.

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Biggest reason I'd get this case is because it apparently snaps open REAL easy - which means for connecting it to 3rd party stuff is easier. And yet is waterproof. If I ever start working seriously for my friends hot tub business again, I'd definitely get it.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
I just want a water proof case. I want it to be thin, I don't need it to withstand 2 tons of pressure. And decently priced.

cheryl717

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Wow..$99.00! I was hoping this case was going to be more reasonable price...it would only make sense that this case doesn't cost over double that I paid for the actual phone. Monetarily it doesn't seen to be a good fit no matter how great. The defender at half price works very well. There is no holster either. We will be sticking with the defender unless the price reflecks better.

johnmacward

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
I like iPhone but one of the most annoying aspects of its expensiveness is the eco-system that grows up around it that is also disproportionately expensive. $99 for a fitting piece of plastic and rubber - COME ON!

surf2snow1

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I like iPhone but one of the most annoying aspects of its expensiveness is the eco-system that grows up around it that is also disproportionately expensive. $99 for a fitting piece of plastic and rubber - COME ON!

no one says you have to buy it. If you don't want it, get something cheaper...:confused:

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
This water proof can stay at 6.6 ft for 30 minutes...wtf? THAT"S NOT WATER PROOF. There are other cases have water proof ability and can stay longer than that and deeper.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada

Remember the $99 is just the suggested retail price. The Otterbox Defender is listed at $60 but it sells for much less than that. Even up here in Canada, the land of overpriced everything, I got the Defender for my iPhone 5 for $24. And no, it's not a fake.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
This water proof can stay at 6.6 ft for 30 minutes...wtf? THAT"S NOT WATER PROOF. There are other cases have water proof ability and can stay longer than that and deeper.

What case would that be? Lifeproof has the same waterproof rating meaning 6.6 ft for 30 minutes. It's on their specifications page.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.