Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
No MMS or streaming!!

A couple of caveats of the ST service.

1. They don't support MMS, dumb but I use iMessage with my apple buddies and you can hack the APN file and enable it but you'll need another active sim card on another carrier - not done this yet but may still try. Search to find out how to do this.
  2. They don't allow streaming - not sure what that means so your pandora app many not work, my soma fm app is blocked but you can listen to soma FM via website. Youtube app is not blocked. I can also watch Aljazeera live so perhaps it uses

Any ATT phone 4 or 4S can be carrier unlocked for free so get on CL peeps! There is no reason to spend more than $250 for a 4 or $400 for a 4S. The 4S is probably 86% as much as the 5 is for half the price. My 32Gb 4S was $350.

bursthead

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
This is 100% my experience. My wife and I had nothing but loss of data and missed phone calls on straight talk. We used 3 different iphones and 1 android with nothing but problems.

RUN AWAY FROM STRAIGHT TALK PEOPLE YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED

I have been using my iphone 5 verizon on straight talk. I have been experiencing similar issues. I lose data throughout the day and I consistently miss phone calls as well. The price is great, but the network sucks since your are going through a proxy. Latency is off the charts sometimes and consistency is lacking.

After my 90 day prepaid ends in February I am porting my number out and moving on.

Magrathea

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2008
I put my wife and her iPhone 4S on a Straight Talk plan a few months ago. It has worked, but with ALOT of caveats:
-Straight Talk is VERY shady about unlimited web* data. Sure I understand no tethering allowed, but you are not to even watch YouTube or stream Pandora "extensively" and they can kick you off the network and you'll lose your number if so.
-MMS is only functional by kludgy workarounds as others mention. Though I was able to successfully pull it off on my wife's phone.
-No native visual voicemail.
-Uses AT&T's network through proxy servers known to be throttled at AT&T's discretion.

I doubt this includes LTE either, though I would love to be proven wrong.

For half the price of ATT you can surly live with this. iMessage for MMS, don't really miss visual voicemail, and the say 200mb per day. There is no free lunch but it's certainly worth a try.

Of course if I were on my phone 24/7 and traveling far and wide I'd not be cheaping out but I've not had data since 2009 so this plan is an upgrade to my $30 pm Tmobile plan that had 20mb of data pm!!

----------

I have been using my iphone 5 verizon on straight talk. I have been experiencing similar issues. I lose data throughout the day and I consistently miss phone calls as well. The price is great, but the network sucks since your are going through a proxy. Latency is off the charts sometimes and consistency is lacking.

After my 90 day prepaid ends in February I am porting my number out and moving on.

That's not good - my VM was messed up for 5 days and support could not figure out how to fix it. I was not getting any indication of a new voicemail. I eventually figured out how to fix it. I'm not a pro road warrior user so I can live with some bumps in the road but the beauty of this plan is that you can always switch.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Nice! I literally just got my ST Sim and am going to set it up on my iPhone 4. If I won't have to fool around to get MMS to work it will be sweet.

You'll have to fool around to get MMS to work (texting is fine as is, but MMS you'll need to fool).

I've been on their network for almost a year with two 4S's - ATT network of course and a 2GB network limit per month, works great for us - haven't had issues with phone calls or messages (since my wife and I use these for primary communication throughout the day we'd notice if we did) etc..

Basically to get MMS to work I had to get a basic pay as you go T-Mobile Micro SIM (with $5 on it etc.)...using instructions from the web, (my memory is a little hazy here so this could be wrong in some way - be sure to verify before you do it) you basically booted up the 4S with Straight Talk SIM, started to open the data settings page, then swapped in the T-Mobile SIM (which now allows you to modify the MMS data settings needed), then modify the data settings to needed setup, then swapped back in the Straight Talk SIM, rebooted and off you go with MMS.

From what I understand if you update to iOS 6 from 5 you have to redo the MMS settings again (smaller point updates to 5 didn't require it).

What's needed for the 4 (not sure if it'll be the same) - be sure to check the web before diving in.

I'm intrigued that Apple is selling the 5 as a Straight Talk phone and makes me wonder if they have a Straight Talk bundle (for settings) on board (that would make MMS setup automatic). It'd be interesting to find out.

Last edited:

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
I'm happy with my grandfathered AT&T unlimited LTE, unlimited text, and (basically) unlimited voice. (I have free mobile-to-mobile, any network; free nights/weekends; and thousands of rollover minutes I barely use)

I pay about $90/month including taxes and fees.

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
1) AT&T no longer offers an unlimited plan, and even the people that are grandfathered are throttled after they hit 3GB with no exceptions. With Straight Talk, they may throttle you but a kind request to their customer service and they will UNthrottle you. Try doing that with AT&T. I've been doing this with my 4S with straight talk for 8 months. I average 6GB a month in data, and I average 6000-7000 download speed.

I'm on AT&T grandfathered unlimited data, and am almost always over 3GB a month. Nothing crazy (my max has been 7GB, once) but usually I'm in the 3-5 range and I've never once been throttled.

I pay about $90 a month for more minutes then I ever will use (450? I dunno, I never come close, so it's "Unlimited" for me.) I think I have the 1,000 text plan also, but again, since iMessage came out I don't even come close to using that.

Last edited:

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
You're missing the point. Who cares if you can download at blazing fast speeds if you can download so much so quickly you exceed your cap for the month in a few days? We're not talking about "looking up a phone number". We're talking about downloading large files, streaming media, etc. You know...the applications that make a high speed data connection worthwhile in the first place?

You are missing the point not me. If you're wanting to download a movie, you know it's 100mb. It either takes 2 minutes on LTE or 20 minutes on HSPA. It's the same 100mb. You have to have discipline to use your data regardless of how fast you're allowed to use it, it doesn't change the size of the files you download.

You clearly aren't looking at the issue with logic. It's like saying if a gas pump could pump 40 gallons in 20 seconds that you'd fill your gas tank more often than if you use a pump that takes 5 minutes to do the same. Not how it works, you still have to CHOSE to consume what you consume.

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
excellent news! I still maintain 3 unlimited data contracts w/ATT but it's great to know there is an enemy at the gate!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
No, not so fast. Sure dial up and a 1Mbps are easy to see the difference between but when it come to say 3-5Mbps and 30Mbps you really think that the page will load that much faster. In theory yes but unless the ping times, network latency, is that much better with LTE I don't think you'll see the difference. When you get to a certain min speed I doubt if you will see the difference. Sure if you're downloading a massive file then LTW will win but a regular webpage, doubt it. Lot depends upon how big of a pipe the web server uses.

Huh? You're missing the point entirely. LTE doesn't consume data in any more quantity than HSPA. For those who say "it's going too fast, I use more data" are merely saying they lack the self control to restrain from monitoring their data. If you use 2GB on LTE you get the same thing as you get with 2GB of HSPA, you just get it a lot faster.

Clearly there are a lot of people here who don't understand the concept of data allotment vs pipe speed. The new technology allows you to get more faster, and CAN use more, but you have to use more, it doesn't just use more by default.

I swear, you resist technology so much, maybe you best just go buy an iPhone Original, then you'll be at 2G and never have to worry about it. By your logic, an iPhone 2G would be far superior to a 3G, or 4 or 5, lol.

Gotta love uneducated blind consumers.

luischav3z

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2011
You are missing the point not me. If you're wanting to download a movie, you know it's 100mb. It either takes 2 minutes on LTE or 20 minutes on HSPA. It's the same 100mb. You have to have discipline to use your data regardless of how fast you're allowed to use it, it doesn't change the size of the files you download.

You clearly aren't looking at the issue with logic. It's like saying if a gas pump could pump 40 gallons in 20 seconds that you'd fill your gas tank more often than if you use a pump that takes 5 minutes to do the same. Not how it works, you still have to CHOSE to consume what you consume.

I believe what he is trying to say is that if you can download stuff faster you are more likely to download more and more, resulting in exceeding the cap faster.

Btw I have been with straight talk with my iPhone 4 for a year and always use Pandora and haven't had any problems.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
You're missing the point. Who cares if you can download at blazing fast speeds if you can download so much so quickly you exceed your cap for the month in a few days? We're not talking about "looking up a phone number". We're talking about downloading large files, streaming media, etc. You know...the applications that make a high speed data connection worthwhile in the first place?

So... when you have a bigger pipe you *MUST* consume more? If you don't watch netflix today, when you have more bandwidth, now you *HAVE* to watch netflix? :confused::confused::eek:

cxny

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2004
New York
HAHA, I was going to post something similar. WALMART. LOL. And this is the kind of front page news Apple is getting on MacRumors now.......LOL.

As Woody Allen (quoting Groucho) said "I'd never join a club that would allow a person like me to become a member" If you still feel that about Apple it's time to head for the exit - 1 billion members...

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
So... when you have a bigger pipe you *MUST* consume more? If you don't watch netflix today, when you have more bandwidth, now you *HAVE* to watch netflix? :confused::confused::eek:

By this logic we would still be hardly using the internet because even though our pipes are bigger now with broadband, we would only be using the net as much as we did when we were all on dialup.

If you have a faster pipe, you consumer media faster, and use more data.
If I only watched the same 15 YouTube video's the exact same number of times, then yes, Edge, 3G, LTE, it wouldn't matter, it's the same data per month. No one does this though.
If I can download and watch 3 more video's over LTE in the time that it took 1 video to buffer and be watchable over 3G, I'm going to watch 3 videos, and use that much more data.
You're logic could also be used for "We don't need gigabit fiber to the home". Google is betting if people have it, there will be new ways consumers come up with to use it. I agree with this logic, and can't wait to see what comes of it.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

Not so fast, my friend. Video hosting sites like youtube, netflix, etc. base video stream quality on the bandwidth detected. The faster the pipe, the larger the file stream that is sent. Remember that a video at 720p is over 2.5 times the number of pixels as the same video at 480p, and 1080p has 2.25 times the pixels of 720p. It adds up.

For example, if I'm at home on broadband internet or on Verizon LTE on my iPad, the WatchESPN app will happily stream full HD video to my flatscreen TV via AirPlay, over a 3G cellular connection the quality degrades gracefully to compensate without buffering.

Last edited:

usarioclave

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
As a note, I've been using my iPhone 5 on Straight Talk now for a month. Before that I was using an iPhone 4.

The most annoying thing about it is the APN settings on the iPhone are hidden by the SIM. Arrgh! You can use the T-Mobile sim-swap trick to enable them.

FaceTime over 3G works with no problems or hacks, as does personal hotspot. MMS works once you get the APN settings to show up.

NOTE: if you have unlimited data on AT&T, you can sell it before moving to Straight Talk, which offsets the cost of the iPhone 5. Google on how to do it. I wish I did, but I didn't know that was possible at the time.

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
Been on StraightTalk almost two years using the "BYOD" plan - first with a SIM in my 3GS and, since November, a micro-SIM in a 4S. Of note, the 4S is still locked; ST doesn't require an unlocked phone.

The 4S is -much- faster than the 3GS in every task including sending and receiving eMails and web surfing. The menubar shows "4G" but I haven't actually run a speedtest (though I will tomorrow). I'm a very happy ST customer.

Do note that MMS requires you to jailbreak your phone (according to the ST forums). No photos sent or recv'd via MMS. I just eMail photos.

Digipimp

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2003
Texas
I sold my iPhone 4s right before the 5 came out and bought a Galaxy Nexus directly from google and put it on straight talk. I dont know why people are having problems. I dont miss calls really, mms works and data speeds are the same. So I havent really had a single problem so far. Maybe it's relative to the area you're in.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Not so fast, my friend. Video hosting sites like youtube, netflix, etc. base video stream quality on the bandwidth detected. The faster the pipe, the larger the file stream that is sent. Remember that a video at 720p is over 2.5 times the number of pixels as the same video at 480p, and 1080p has 2.25 times the pixels of 720p. It adds up.

For example, if I'm at home on broadband internet or on Verizon LTE on my iPad, the WatchESPN app will happily stream full HD video to my flatscreen TV via AirPlay, over a 3G cellular connection the quality degrades gracefully to compensate without buffering.

Well since streaming is prohibited on Straight Talk you won't have to worry about that then haha

CIA

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
That's what the contract carriers do now...

When will people understand that the price of your "subsidized" phone is built into the rate plan?

If this was the case, why doesn't my rate plan drop when I'm out of contract? The price of subsidizing your phone isn't built into your rate plan. The cost of service is high because they want to make money off you regardless of if you are in or out of contract.
Since no one knows what the true "Cost" of service is for a single user, there's no way to know what the real margin is on plans. For all we know the extra $400 or so they shave off the iPhone price could be paid off by a user in 6 months, then it's just gravy for the telco's.

Kinda why I'm interested in the new t-mobile plans...

donniedarko

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2004
Los Angeles
lol, a David 100% reliant on buying airtime from Goliath? T-mobile dropping subsidies (if they actually stick to that) is perhaps a more meaningful bet.

Do you know how nice it feels to not feel like Im getting sodomized every month by a carrier, yet I get to use them for 60% the cost, with from what I have experienced to be no worse if not better customer service, no contract. brilliant. Carlos Slim is the man, and Straight Talk will have me for a long term customer #fact

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.