Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Damn... Can't believe this reached 100 posts... Didn't expect that.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
Quick question. How do you hide the keyboard? IPhone had a button for it, this doesn't seem to have one.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Quick question. How do you hide the keyboard? IPhone had a button for it, this doesn't seem to have one.

Press the back button on the S3 or double tap another area (I think that works too).

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Galaxy S III vs iPhone 5 Review

Before criticizing, note that this review has been completely created/compiled by myself, Squilly. Let's begin. I just so happen to own both an iPhone 5 and a Galaxy S III. I got my iPhone 5 a little less than a month ago and got my Galaxy S III about a week ago. I'm writing a formal review to help you make your decision on which to get. The review will be relatively brief, although it should ultimately help you make your decision.
Operating System
As it is known, the Samsung Galaxy S III runs on Android (currently on Jelly Bean for Sprint and T-Mobile and Ice Cream Sandwich on the other carriers. The iPhone 5 runs on their own operating system which is designed by the engineers that design the phone itself, known as iOS - currently iOS 6.0.1, fixing minor bugs in the OS. This decision is solely up to the consumer, and greatly varies with each. One of which is much more customizable than the other. iOS is a static operating system, meaning not much can ever be changed, without jail-breaking it, which I don't recommend. Android gives you a flat slate to customize it as you wish. Personally, I enjoy iOS over Android since I don't have a need to customize my phone to a specific liking.
Winner: iPhone 5
Screen Size
The Galaxy S III measures 4.8" diagonally and the iPhone 5 measures 4.0" diagonally. After using both for a brief period, I am in favor of the 4.8" display. 4.8" is large, probably the largest phones should be able to go (aside from the Galaxy Note(s)). Usually, with the Galaxy S III, you'll have to move your hand upwards in order to touch the top of the screen (or at least slant it). The iPhone 5 fits perfectly in your hand and maintains a 16:9 aspect ratio. It is definitely different from previous iPhones in a good way, although I prefer the larger screen of the Galaxy S III.
Winner: Galaxy S III
Voice Recognition
Voice Recognition is a big part of a phone these days, used much more often than ever before. The Samsung Galaxy S III uses S-Voice and the Apple iPhone 5 uses their own software, Siri. I have played around with both of these voice recognition software's for a while. All in all, I'm in favor of Siri. Both software's have expanded greatly over the course of their existence, although Siri seems to be slightly faster and more accurate, with more capabilities. Sending a text is easier, navigating is easier (somewhat), even making a call. I'm not saying S-Voice is bad, I just prefer Siri.
Maps
I find this to be absolutely crucial in a phone. The Samsung Galaxy S III uses Google Maps and the iPhone 5 uses a new mapping software after branching off of Google. Google Maps has been able to adapt over long periods of time, as Apple's Maps software is very new. The one thing I really enjoy about Apple's software is its ability to see buildings in 3D. This can't be done on Google Maps, although Google Maps is much faster, less laggy, and in my opinion, more accurate.
Physical Colors
The Samsung Galaxy S III comes in dark blue, white, as well as red and black on some carriers, appealing to both parties (male and female). To note, I've only seen the dark blue and white colors on the Galaxy S III, so I'll stick with those colors in this review. The iPhone 5 comes in a slate black and white/grey color. I own a blue Galaxy S III and a black iPhone 5. Physically, I'm a fan of both. The iPhone 5 uses a two-tone color scheme and the Galaxy S III uses colors that appeal to the senses that aren't too bright, but not too dark.
Winner: Both
Cameras
I've played with both cameras on both the Galaxy S III and the iPhone 5 for a long time, since I use my phone for pictures a lot. Both phones use an 8.0 MegaPixel camera on the rear facing camera and 5MP on the frontal camera. I don't notice much of a difference between the two, quality wise, although the added features to both are very important to me. The Galaxy S III has many options available that the iPhone 5 does not have (ie. smile shot, cartoon shot, and burst shot). Granted, effects are available in FaceTime effects, although I prefer it all in one application. Both phones have a Panorama option, with that I prefer iPhone 5, since it's a bit smoother. Overall, though, I prefer the Galaxy S III camera.
Weight and Size
The Galaxy S III is both larger, thicker, and slightly heavier than the iPhone 5. There is not a noticeable different between the two (except for screen size, of course) nor do I care for it. Since the Galaxy S III does have a bigger screen in general, it would make most sense that it is heavier. On another note, the iPhone 5 is smaller, thinner, and slightly lighter. Again, I don't really care for it, although would make most sense that it's lighter, since the phone screen size is smaller.
Winner: Neither
Battery Life and Quality of Parts
The Galaxy S III has a removable battery, which is also significantly larger than the battery on the iPhone 5. The iPhone 5 sustains a better battery life, since the parts it uses are less power-consuming. In the end, the battery life of both equal out and are not as advertised if used heavily. I use my phone heavily, so I get 4 to 5 hours out of it on a normal charge using 3G. I am not in a 4G area, thus am unsure of how battery life would correlate. On another note, the Galaxy S III uses a plastic casing and the iPhone 5 uses a glass and aluminum enclosure. I like the feel of the iPhone 5 much better, since the enclosure feels less cheap than it does on the Galaxy S III. If you were to drop both, the iPhone 5 would probably sustain less damage than the Galaxy S III (or feels like it would).
Conclusion
After going over a variety of topics, both phones have their positives and negatives. Both phones have 4G capabilities on a variety of carriers, both have excellent displays as well. Apple's display is slightly better since the PPI (Pixels Per Inch) is greater than it is on the iPhone 5. I notice more vivid colors and more of a contrast in colors on the Galaxy S III, although better overall quality on the iPhone 5. The choice must be left up to the consumer, being you. A very large factor for you should be the operating system you prefer. If you don't like the Android operating system, go with the iPhone 5 - and vice versa. If your choice was mine to make, I would go with the Galaxy S III. Currently, I use the iPhone 5 since that's what I'm used to, since the iPod Touch 2nd Generation/iPhone 4S. The range of apps are greater on the iPhone 5, although the customizability of the Galaxy S III is far superior to the iPhone 5. What would you sacrifice for your phone of choice?

I really hope you enjoyed this review. Hopefully, more are to come if you like it in the end. Thanks for reading and I hope I helped!​

great review except on the operating system - Android 4.2 is easily the most advanced mobile operating system.
Does everything ios does and then some.
Also, Android works great right out the box, no customization needed, but the good thing about customization is you can simply modify it whenever you want and get that "new phone" feel all over again with a simple new launcher, a theme, and no jailbreak/root required.

and colors? GS3 takes that.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I don't know if it's the same for some, but it does have location based alarms.

I don't know what you are referring to. Please define location based alarms.

What I am taking about is telling it to "Remind me to take out the trash when I get home." or "Remind me to put the car on the charger when I get to work." or "Remind me the next time I am at Wal-Mart to get light bulbs."

It can't do any of that.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I don't know what you are referring to. Please define location based alarms.

What I am taking about is telling it to "Remind me to take out the trash when I get home." or "Remind me to put the car on the charger when I get to work." or "Remind me the next time I am at Wal-Mart to get light bulbs."

It can't do any of that.

It can do that in a way. The location based alarm will go off when you are at a specific location. Then all you have to do is add a message to the alarm.

The application is the same.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
It can do that in a way. The location based alarm will go off when you are at a specific location. Then all you have to do is add a message to the alarm.

The application is the same.

I have been all over the google now commands. How to you set an alarm for a location?

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
Sorry I should have mentioned that it was in the alarm settings and not the Google Now or voice commands.

Maybe I am retarded but I am not seeing anything like that. Are you sure you know what I am talking about?

2013-01-08235640_zps701af7f3.png

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
Maybe I am retarded but I am not seeing anything like that. Are you sure you know what I am talking about?

I see now. Maybe it's only an option in the Note 2, or if you have location services turned on?

That's interesting.

I've been playing around with it lately, it's really not what you are talking about. It just activates the alarm when you enter a certain location, and that alarm will go off at your selected time. Nothing like what you or I thought.

Screenshots_2013-01-09-07-51-08.png

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I see now. Maybe it's only an option in the Note 2, or if you have location services turned on?

That's interesting.

I've been playing around with it lately, it's really not what you are talking about. It just activates the alarm when you enter a certain location, and that alarm will go off at your selected time. Nothing like what you or I thought.

View attachment 388997

Yea, I hear the Note 2 has the newer version of Jellybean that the S3 users do not have.

Tikatika

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2012
Northern California
Have been reading every review on the SGIII and I get my play fix every time I go into Costco. Have a 4S with upgrade eligibility on 5/14 and really hate the long skinny look of the 5. I can't wait to make the switch ... I am hoping the SG4 will be out by then.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
How much better do you guys think the Note 2 is over the S3?

My wife having the S3, I'd have to say that if there was no Note 2 I'd be with the S3. The biggest features I needed the Note 2 for and use daily are the multi-screen apps, the 5.5" screen, and the stylus, which I might add is the best stylus I've ever used on any electronic device. This coming from Palm V and up user.

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
How much better do you guys think the Note 2 is over the S3?

----------

I wish the S4 were out NOW. I'd switch from my iPhone 4 TODAY! :)

Not so much as "better" just different. It's a different user experience and the 2 devices can be used quite differently.

The difference I was talking about was the difference between Android 4.1 and 4.2. Both are Jellybean but there are some cool new features on 4.2 that I would like. But the S3 has only been updated to 4.1 so far.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
One thing to point out though. The S3 battery doesn't last very long. I've had 2 days of heavy use out of it since 100% charge and now I'm at 40%. IPhone 5 would be 60%+ I think.

Have ordered a dock that charges the phone bad allows sync with the computer. It cab also charge a 2nd battery should I invest in one as backup.

You men hardly any use.

I have the galaxy s 3 and I get more battery life than I did on my iPhone 4.

I'd get around 12 hours with average use on the 4 and it would always die when I'm out and about leaving me carrying a charger everywhere I go since Apple decided I shouldn't be allowed to replace the battery in my phone.

On the galaxy s 3 with heavy use I'll pull in 12 hours. With average use around 16 hours.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
The battery life has dropped drastically the past 2 days to worse than before.

Dropped 25% overnight whilst it wasn't being used. At this rate it'll have to be charged every night.

I do have a dock coming that can charge the phone and an extra battery so looks like the spare battery will be getting purchased sooner rather than later.

Anyone bought any of the higher capacity batteries for the S3? Samsung don't yet do an official one yet do they so it'd have to be an alternative manufacturer one I'd have to buy?

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
Photosphere, lockscreen widgets, new quick settings in notifications, tablet users get multiple user accounts (HUGE!), better keyboard with gesture typing built in. That's some of them.

http://www.android.com/whatsnew/

- Photosphere is nice. One nice addition with this is yoI use it from time to time on my S3, but it takes about a minute to take 1 full picture and you need to remain pretty steady. can add to Google's street view maps by uploading you photo to Google (if you choose to, that is). And Google+ has a built in Photosphere viewing ability now, so others that don't have this feature can still see your Photosphere photos. Nice.
- User account is a nice touch, but remember you have to share the same amount of memory. And one use r can not share apps with another. They are completely partitioned. However, the owner of the tablet is the ´Admin' and can delete anyone's account that is added.
- Lockscreen widgets are not what you think. You swipe the screen to the right and you get a widget. Swipe again and you get another widget. Not very practical. But I'm sure people will like it.
- New keyboard is better than the old and Swype appears to be overlaid on top. Works really well.

4.2 is a step in the right direction. I like the features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.