Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Purchased my first iPad today, and so far it's awesome, and I've barely scratched the surface. Ran into a MAJOR issue, though. I set up my iPad the way I wanted it by simply downloading my apps from the iTunes Store and using iCloud. I have a couple apps where I need to connect my iPad to my MBP to add the content (specifically VLC [from the App Store before it was banned] and Comic Flow), but when I do it asks me to set up my new iPad as new or from a backup.

What gives? I never had a problem like this with my iPhone 4S, even though I mostly set it up the same exact way. I don't remember exactly what I did in the setup process for my iPhone, but I did get it past the setup screen and I don't recall setting it up again as a new device. Is this normal behavior? Is there a way around this? For the most part, I won't need to connect my iPad to iTunes. I might want to put music on it every now and then, though I have a 32 GB iPod Touch dedicated to that purpose. Other than VLC and Comic Flow, I pretty much will be running this iPad without iTunes.

Last edited:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Yeah, it's confusing. I forget what you have to click, I *think* you click set up as new, and then it tells you it is already set up instead of making you set it up again. But it's been a while since I did this, so I"m not positive. I just remember thinking, wow, that's really counterintuitive.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Hmmm, that would be odd. I think I'll wait for some others to respond as I'd prefer not to lose my setup accidentally. Thanks!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Did you backup to iCloud? If you did, then you can restore from iCloud if something goes wrong.

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Update: it is just as Night Spring said, just set up the iPad as a new iPad. It skipped any kind of setup and just went right to the normal screen.

Apple, take note: this is bass ackwards...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.