Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
People who use boot camp, how much hard drive space is good to partition to boot camp if you're starting with say a 1TB fusion drive?

If I were to just use boot camp to play just a couple of games (Metro Last Light when it comes out I'm thinking).

Would something like 20gb-25gb be good enough?

Im my case i have just Windows 7 Ultimate and Far cry 3 installed and im using 55gb. I would recommend at least 100GB unless you plan to install your games on a separate partition or drive.

uptownnyc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2011
I'm totally new to Bootcamp. I'm hoping to get Bootcamp up and running on my 3tb drive - but probably won't need to game right away. Considering how the 3tb drive requires partitions to be ordered in a certain way, is Bootcamp something that must be done on a new machine before using your Mac?

Is it now or never if I want to setup Bootcamp, or is it possible to do it later-on?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I'm totally new to Bootcamp. I'm hoping to get Bootcamp up and running on my 3tb drive - but probably won't need to game right away. Considering how the 3tb drive requires partitions to be ordered in a certain way, is Bootcamp something that must be done on a new machine before using your Mac?

Is it now or never if I want to setup Bootcamp, or is it possible to do it later-on?

You can do it any time ... however keep in mind that you will have to make a backup or clone before starting as the operations required to break the Fusion drive, repartition the 3TB hard disk, and rejoin the Fusion drive will cause both drives to be reformatted. Once you have your new Fusion drive operational, you will have to restore your data from the backup. The less data you have on your disk, the less time this will all take.

Of course ... you need to keep backups anyway!

-howard

MacCruiZe

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Windows still working great on my iMac 3TB Fusion !! Boots up in about 35 seconds, runs Call of Duty amazingly well , 15 seconds for the OSX on fusion boot up .

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
Bumping this thread as it's pretty serious IMO. if I had known, I would have stayed with the 1TB drive.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
10.8.3 allows Windows to be installed anyway.....

I'm just curious, Where are you getting your information?

According to

screen-shot-2013-02-06-at-4-08-16-pm.png

No such information you mentioned is listed.

I3D

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2011
Hey Guys

With this new update to bootcamp, where does this leave us who performed this hack? do we need to trash everything and start fresh?

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.