Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Hmm, spend a grand to get this or simply show the picture on my iPad to the person sitting next to me. Not really a selling point.

Can you not imagine a business or demonstration scenario where more than 1 person may need to see the content at once?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Channels? What are these "channels" of which you speak? Ah, right, an anachronism from the 20th Century. Welcome to 2013, where on-demand 4K streaming is emerging. I haven't watched a "channel" for close to a decade now.

Now that's a smart feature I can live with :)

----------

Can you not imagine a business or demonstration scenario where more than 1 person may need to see the content at once?

Why do you need a smart tv to do that? Just plug your laptop into the TV.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
still 1080p?
Isn't it time for 4K Ultra HD TVs?

Those were announced too. Panasonic showed off a 4K OLED TV. But would you buy one without an interconnect standard defined to handle it, no disc format standard (Sony says they'll make 4K Blu Rays, but who knows if it will require a whole new player) and no way to certify a display as fully UHD compliant right now (you have to have at least one digital input capable of accepting a 4k signal, which doesn't even exist yet)? You're basically hoping those things will work and buying it for the upconverting. What if, by the time all this stuff is decided, 8K TVs start coming around?

sparkso

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2009
Those were announced too. Panasonic showed off a 4K OLED TV. But would you buy one without an interconnect standard defined to handle it, no disc format standard (Sony says they'll make 4K Blu Rays, but who knows if it will require a whole new player) and no way to certify a display as fully UHD compliant right now (you have to have at least one digital input capable of accepting a 4k signal, which doesn't even exist yet)? You're basically hoping those things will work and buying it for the upconverting. What if, by the time all this stuff is decided, 8K TVs start coming around?

I would buy one just to show off at home by playing the demo video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.