Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
I thought the same until I bought the Note II. Took me time to get used to it but now I can't imagine using anything smaller!

kdarling

macrumors P6
One reason big screens are popular is that many of us use our smartphone for everything, except as a phone most of the time.

Personally, I take maybe one or two calls a day. All my other usage is web browsing or news or weather or shopping or TV or other apps... all of which look and work much better on a bigger screen. In fact, the bigger the better.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I used to think I wanted a massive phablet, but after using the Nexus 4 I've come to realize that it truly is the perfect size. I ALWAYS have my LTE iPad with me so the LTE argument is really a mute point for me, and the screen is large enough, even with the Soft buttons at the bottom.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I thought the same until I bought the Note II. Took me time to get used to it but now I can't imagine using anything smaller!

Agree....the short week it took me to adjust is nothing in comparison to the huge increase in functionality and productivity! :)

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2012
The reason I don't buy phablets is because there are days you go to sixflags/the beach/ sporting events where it's just not possible and that's why the market for a 4inch to 4.5 inch phone would be ideal in addition to the perfect size of an iPad mini accompanying a high end laptop for real work uses

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008

Not trying to dispute your experience but since this persists (especially in Android forums) I wish to provide a counter example.

I went from a 3.8-inch mytouch 4g to a 4.65-inch galaxy nexus.

I LOVE this phone.

I have been using it for many months now so I think I am sufficiently used to it.

The phone is still too big.

If I could buy a 4.3-inch galaxy nexus (or other stock android device). I would in a heart beat.

But no one offers such a phone so just like iOS users who might prefer a larger screen, on the android side I am stuck with a phone I fear dropping every time I try to use it on a crowded bus one-handed (not an unusual scenario).

Again I have no issue with people who like bigger phones. But it is annoying that you can't buy a quality smaller phone with android (that has any possibility of getting software support).

Ok I'm done now...:eek:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
Not trying to dispute your experience but since this persists (especially in Android forums) I wish to provide a counter example.

I went from a 3.8-inch mytouch 4g to a 4.65-inch galaxy nexus.

I LOVE this phone.

I have been using it for many months now so I think I am sufficiently used to it.

The phone is still too big.

If I could buy a 4.3-inch galaxy nexus (or other stock android device). I would in a heart beat.

But no one offers such a phone so just like iOS users who might prefer a larger screen, on the android side I am stuck with a phone I fear dropping every time I try to use it on a crowded bus one-handed (not an unusual scenario).

Again I have no issue with people who like bigger phones. But it is annoying that you can't buy a quality smaller phone with android (that has any possibility of getting software support).

Ok I'm done now...:eek:

To each his own, I don't mind a large phone as I do not require any one handed operations so all is good with me. And when I actually do, it's for simple browsing so one handed works just works fine!

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
i've never used the note 2, and everytmie i spot 1 i think its ridiculously huge!! interesting to read that users actually love it... i cant see myself using one, but then again, i never have... :rolleyes:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
i've never used the note 2, and everytmie i spot 1 i think its ridiculously huge!! interesting to read that users actually love it... i cant see myself using one, but then again, i never have... :rolleyes:

I see alot of iPhone users squint and cramp up their hands because of how ridiculously small their screen is.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I see alot of iPhone users squint and cramp up their hands because of how ridiculously small their screen is.

Damn... And I thought my S5603 had a big screen when I got it (I guess it was bigger than the screens of the fliptops everyone else had at the time in my town :eek:)

b_samsung-s5603-preston_10794.jpg

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA

My very first reaction when I saw one in person was wow, that's pretty big. Once I spent some time and played around with it, I absolutely love it. 5" is probably as small as I'll go from now on.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
One reason big screens are popular is that many of us use our smartphone for everything, except as a phone most of the time. Personally, I take maybe one or two calls a day. All my other usage is web browsing or news or weather or shopping or TV or other apps...

Bingo. This is me. And this is why I'd like a screen that's larger/wider than my current iPhone 4. I'm just concerned that the Galaxy Note 2 might be a tad *too* big, so I'm trying to find the right size for me. Any thoughts on that, since we seem to have the same needs?

----------

there are days you go to sixflags/the beach/ sporting events
Perfect example of one of my concerns!

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011

First time I saw it I thought the same but what I took into account was the user reviews and all users absolutely love it and size wasnt an issue so I just went and got one and they were right and I love the size, when I pick up my wifes 4s it seems soo tiny. I cant go back to anything much smaller now.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
I think everything smaller than the note is ok, the dna is ok buy the galaxy s 3 is the perfect phone size.

The note 2I always said was way too big, but the more I play with it, the more I'm realizing how wrong I was, Samsung did big premium phone the right way.

Unlike LG and their "intuition" which is a brick of a phablet.

4" is too small

----------

IPhone feels like a cheap kids toy when you've played with an s3 or note 2.

But we all know the iphone 5 isn't a kids toy, is a mid range premium priced smartphone

sagar4995

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Dubai, UAE
First time I saw it I thought the same but what I took into account was the user reviews and all users absolutely love it and size wasnt an issue so I just went and got one and they were right and I love the size, when I pick up my wifes 4s it seems soo tiny. I cant go back to anything much smaller now.

yeah ur not the 1st person im hearing this from. i picked up a galaxy s3 n fell in love with the screen size. used to have an i4 so for me, it was a huge change. 1 month into the s3, my wife gifted me an i5 for my bday :D so i got back into the apple world n gave away my s3 to my father in law. apart from the screen size, and the widget customization on the android i wasnt too impressed with the android as i ran into quite a few bugs n issues... but, this thread isni't about that. incase anyone's curious to know the issues i faced, lemme know n ill happily discuss them.

IMO, if they made the i5 4.5", that'd be killer! :cool:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
The reason I don't buy phablets is because there are days you go to sixflags/the beach/ sporting events where it's just not possible.

Why is a Note II or an equivalent not possible at these places? That really makes no sense to me.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
yeah ur not the 1st person im hearing this from. i picked up a galaxy s3 n fell in love with the screen size. used to have an i4 so for me, it was a huge change. 1 month into the s3, my wife gifted me an i5 for my bday :D so i got back into the apple world n gave away my s3 to my father in law. apart from the screen size, and the widget customization on the android i wasnt too impressed with the android as i ran into quite a few bugs n issues... but, this thread isni't about that. incase anyone's curious to know the issues i faced, lemme know n ill happily discuss them.

IMO, if they made the i5 4.5", that'd be killer! :cool:
Then they would have to create a back button and Apple is to stubborn to do that!

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
What amazes me is the UI designers haven't taken size into account and designed GUIs that can be sensibly used for important stuff with one hand (left or right)

They do on the Note 2, but I agree that I'd like to see more of those features spread throughout the other apps. We are going to be calling on the devs to add in a few more features.

Weird argument. 4.6 is perfect, but 4.8 is too big and 5.0 is obscene? The make a variety so customers can pick up what is right for them, which for me happens to be 5.5 at the moment ... keep in mind that certain features like split window multitasking really benefits from a larger screen size and wouldn't work well on something below 5" unless it was 1080p.

Agreed, and split screen multitasking is one of the many features that drew me to the Note 2. In the end, the screen size thing is all relative. We used to think the iPhone's 3.5" screen was huge. Hell, I remember when DSLRs got those enormous 1.8" screens on the back of them.

Same here. I did however never forget the Palm TX which is surprisingly around the same size as the Note 2. I've finally been able to replace my TX with something worthy.

One reason big screens are popular is that many of us use our smartphone for everything, except as a phone most of the time.

Personally, I take maybe one or two calls a day. All my other usage is web browsing or news or weather or shopping or TV or other apps... all of which look and work much better on a bigger screen. In fact, the bigger the better.

You always come and add sensible statements to any conversation. I tip my hat to you sir, and agree with your statement with extreme gusto.

To each his own, I don't mind a large phone as I do not require any one handed operations so all is good with me. And when I actually do, it's for simple browsing so one handed works just works fine!

Interesting thing is it's nearly impossible to do any meaningful typing on the iPhone with one hand. You need two, even on a tiny screen like that. Anything else really is a one handed task. The same thing goes for just about every phone I've ever used, big or small.

That, or they are always zooming into a webpage to see what's going on, then scrolling and scrolling and scrolling only after reading a few lines.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.