Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WilliamDu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2012
During visit to local Apple Store, I was shown a La Cie PS 9233 3TB Hard Drive with USB 3.0 interface, selling for $190.
I find no listing on Amazon or the La Cie web site for this drive.
I'm awaiting delivery of my BTO 27" with 3TB FD, ordered on 12/18, and will need a drive of this nature with 3.0, or Thunderbolt.
Unable to find another article to match this capability/price as yet.
Does anyone know anything about the PS 9233?

xplnusa

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
Idaho
I'm using a WD 3TB external for my time machine backup. Works great, I got it for $150 at Best Buy.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I would NOT get a Seagate to save myself $50. My data is worth more than that to me!
Everyone has had a different experience with disks. I wouldn't buy a Western Digital drive.

As for LaCie, do they say what brand drive is inside? If not it could very well be a Seagate drive.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
During visit to local Apple Store, I was shown a La Cie PS 9233 3TB Hard Drive with USB 3.0 interface, selling for $190.
I find no listing on Amazon or the La Cie web site for this drive.
I'm awaiting delivery of my BTO 27" with 3TB FD, ordered on 12/18, and will need a drive of this nature with 3.0, or Thunderbolt.
Unable to find another article to match this capability/price as yet.
Does anyone know anything about the PS 9233?

Other World Computing offers this:
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ME3QH7T3.0/
More expensive, but it has Firewire 800 and eSATA as well as USB 3.0. The 3 TB version uses a 7200 RPM Toshiba disk.

----------

Everyone has had a different experience with disks. I wouldn't buy a Western Digital drive.

As for LaCie, do they say what brand drive is inside? If not it could very well be a Seagate drive.

I did a quick scan of the LaCie page, and I couldn't find any specs about the disk inside the enclosure. Maybe I missed them.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State

LaCie is likely a Samsun or Hitachi.

Everyone may have different experiences, but I have probably see 15-30 failed hard disks a week.

Technology and manufacturing practices change all the time, Western Digital used to have a bad reputation for bearing failure, but that has been 6 or more years now.

I didn't see it either which is why I said may be a Seagate drive. Or it could be Western Digital or Hitachi or ...

The reason you didn't see it is that Ext. HDD manufacturers who do not manufacture their own internal drive usually cycle through a couple of HDD manufacturers for various reasons.

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I bought a 3TB seagate backup+ yesterday - so far I'm very impressed. Quick and quiet, what more could you ask for!

The external Western Digital drives encrypt the data, so if the drive/case components fail, its impossible to recover your files. Many stories on the web regarding this - that's why I bought Seagate.

chuckiehina

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2007
I have had very good luck with Hitachi drives. And very poor experience with Samsung and Seagate. I am not impressed with La Cie, you are paying extra for cosmetics and windoze software, not reliablility or performance.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
a lot of the LaCie drives ive had to open up were primarily Seagate and Samsung.
Seeing as LaCie was bought by Seagate (who also owns samsung hdd)

mario24601

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
I bought a 3TB seagate backup+ yesterday - so far I'm very impressed. Quick and quiet, what more could you ask for!

The external Western Digital drives encrypt the data, so if the drive/case components fail, its impossible to recover your files. Many stories on the web regarding this - that's why I bought Seagate.

What kind of speed are you getting on usb3? I got the same drive but in FW800 version to use in thunderbolt adaptor, I get about 160 write and 160 read...with FW800 get about 69 write and 83 read. I bought the FW version and thunderbolt adaptor separate because was less $ and figure could use the FW adaptor with another bare drive...my 2011 imac does not have usb3. What do you guys think of the thunderbolt speed on this drive 160/160? Worth it to have TB adaptor or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.