Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I was thinking about how much the new imacs cost. the new imac has come up alot. that said im thinking the new 2013 mac pro will be even more expensive then it already was. Likely double or triple the cost of the same pc equivalent. asking over 2 grand just for a quad core these days is just stupid. I hope i am wrong but I seriously think we will see some crazy prices on this new hardware that is unjustified.

MacVibe

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2009
I think the entry level 21 in iMac is the same price for 2012 as it was in 2011. They left the price the same but removed two memory slots, put in a slower hard drive, and took out the optical drive. I suspect the next mac pro will be very pretty, and not as user-upgradeable as the 2010, but will cost about the same.

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Wouldn't like to pay that much for a MP you can't upgrade. Otherwise, but an iMac and get a built in screen.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
The way Apple is going currently I suspect the 2013 model not to be as upgradable as previous generations. For what it boils down to I think the 2009/2010 might very well be the LAST fully expandable Mac Pros we know of. And if the 2013 Mac Pro turns out to be a FAILURE and does not deliver on the promises of "something wonderful", then the resale value of the 09 and 10 models will skyrocket.

Remember 2009-2010 firmware update? Yeah, thats what I mean.. 6-core 3.33 w3680 is NOT a slouch and can and will continue to provide support for future OS'es down the road. I am sure Windows 9 when it comes out will run on it.

Wouldn't like to pay that much for a MP you can't upgrade. Otherwise, but an iMac and get a built in screen.

KaraH

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2012
DC
The way Apple is going currently I suspect the 2013 model not to be as upgradable as previous generations. For what it boils down to I think the 2009/2010 might very well be the LAST fully expandable Mac Pros we know of. And if the 2013 Mac Pro turns out to be a FAILURE and does not deliver on the promises of "something wonderful", then the resale value of the 09 and 10 models will skyrocket.

I hope it is much more upgradeable than the 2012 iMacs! That is one of the main reasons for my wanting to wait a few months and get a mac pro rather than the new iMac. Having to send my machine to a technician every time a battery or something fails? Please.

If the only loss is fewer drive bays I could handle that. It would be annoying but I could use external drives if I needed to go beyond 2 or 3 bays. I would not want to lose the ability to change graphics cards though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.