Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your black iPhone 5 scuffed, chipped or scratched?

• Flawless

Votes: 1,158 46.1%
  • Flawless because I put a case on it.

Votes: 198 7.9%
  • Scuffed out of the box

Votes: 820 32.7%
  • Scuffed/scratched shortly after

Votes: 334 13.3%

• Total voters

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I know this has probably been discussed before, but has anyone tried taking a thin tipped black permanent marker to the scuff?

----------

This thread is ridiculous. We all know what scratches look like on the phone. If your phone has a scratch and it bothers you, replace it. What are you asking a bunch of strangers for?

You sir, are redicioulous. This thread is for picky people like me who actually care about scuffs and scratches on their iphones. If you dont fall into this category - what the hell are you doing in this thread?

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Just recently purchased a factory unlock and mine is absolutey flawless.

It is very hard to find a flawless one right now. I have tried 7 phones without 1 that's perfect. Some are not scuffed, but has marks on the anodized surface. They are very small, and are only noticeable at an angle.

Peterg2

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2008
Montreal, Canada
It is very hard to find a flawless one right now. I have tried 7 phones without 1 that's perfect. Some are not scuffed, but has marks on the anodized surface. They are very small, and are only noticeable at an angle.

Today I decided to go and inspect various demo versions of both the black and white iPhone 5s at my local Future Shop (think Best Buy in the US). Yes, both were scuffed up but the black was more noticeable. That said, if I were buying new I would be a tad upset but after say a couple of months of usage I would say both were reasonably acceptable. I am very particular about my electronics (ask me about my Panasonic GT50 plasma of which I am very anal) but assuming this would be the norm I think this was OK but not ideal.

My biggest problem is playing around with a Samsung Note 2 which was awfully chintzy and faux in areas of build, apart from being overly large, but browsing with it was really good. That, to me, is my greatest quandary. The iPhone 5 with great aesthetics, but inferior in terms of browsing etc.

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Today I decided to go and inspect various demo versions of both the black and white iPhone 5s at my local Future Shop (think Best Buy in the US). Yes, both were scuffed up but the black was more noticeable. That said, if I were buying new I would be a tad upset but after say a couple of months of usage I would say both were reasonably acceptable. I am very particular about my electronics (ask me about my Panasonic GT50 plasma of which I am very anal) but assuming this would be the norm I think this was OK but not ideal.

My biggest problem is playing around with a Samsung Note 2 which was awfully chintzy and faux in areas of build, apart from being overly large, but browsing with it was really good. That, to me, is my greatest quandary. The iPhone 5 with great aesthetics, but inferior in terms of browsing etc.

Yes, scuff on the black one is very noticeable, it just stands out so much. On top of that, this is the first time Apple is anodizing black color on their products, so foxconn is much more immature when making it. (so far only iphone 5 and the mini) The silver anodize has been there for more than 10 years and across all their products, so it is much more mature.

Scott2345

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2012

Really. It's flawless I got very lucky cause I had the phone brought to me overseas to Bolivia and there's no apple store here and no way to return it.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
Yes, scuff on the black one is very noticeable, it just stands out so much. On top of that, this is the first time Apple is anodizing black color on their products, so foxconn is much more immature when making it. (so far only iphone 5 and the mini) The silver anodize has been there for more than 10 years and across all their products, so it is much more mature.
Wrong.
What about the black iPod Classic, as well as the Nano in black? They all have been around for a while.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Well, took mine out of the case today and a couple of tiny small nicks have appeared on the bottom back edge. How on earth this has happened with a full coverage case on is beyond me.

It hasn't been knocked, banged or scraped neither. Treated with upmost care.

Just shoddy design. Very poor design in fact. Sort of thing i'd expect from a poor LG device.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
Ok my scuffed phone had problems with the ringer button so i exchanged it under warranty. The replacment had a scratch and a scuff. So i went back and replaced that one too. The second replacement had a small scuff too.

Sigh.

Im just gonna keep this one.

I have a feeling apple will loose this design for iphone 6...

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
I've had my phone for almost two months now. Been using a case. I'm sure there are scruffs on it...but I don't care. It works just fine. It was pretty flawless when I got it, but then again I wasn't examining it like some of the people on this board.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
Well, took mine out of the case today and a couple of tiny small nicks have appeared on the bottom back edge. How on earth this has happened with a full coverage case on is beyond me.

'Fraid this is typical with some cases. Fine particles of dust (grit) find their way into the case - usually via holes for the camera, vol up/down etc. In a relatively short time they damage the phone's surface. This is the reason why I personally never use this type of case.

Damolee

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
'Fraid this is typical with some cases. Fine particles of dust (grit) find their way into the case - usually via holes for the camera, vol up/down etc. In a relatively short time they damage the phone's surface. This is the reason why I personally never use this type of case.

Never have I ever ever had a phone, chip on a metal part from case dust. There is little movement inside the case for this to be justifiable.

Scratch maybe, but to take a dent out... one that when I run my finger over, it takes skin off my finger .... doesn't add up.

The coating is chipping off. It's not scratching or flaking as I thought, it literally chips off in bits. It's very poor workmanship and a bad design choice.

I would prefer they stuck with the materials they used on the iPhone 4. It would have been lighter anyway, by just being thinner.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
From what you say, to me it still appears that something has worked it's way inside the case.

There is little movement inside the case for this to be justifiable.

There should be no movement of the phone in the case.

Scratch maybe, but to take a dent out... one that when I run my finger over, it takes skin off my finger .... doesn't add up.

If the phone was fine when you put it in its case, "dents" like you describe don't appear by magic!

FAJV

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
Montenegro
I saw around 10-12 black ones (here in my contry), everyone of them was spotless.

I think this scuffgate is just overdone, ridiculous and not true.

11bE5

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2012
Spokane Wa
@FAVJ
Kinda hard to believe you when there's a thread with over 4k posts saying otherwise. So your 10 is void. Good day

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
I saw around 10-12 black ones (here in my contry), everyone of them was spotless.

I think this scuffgate is just overdone, ridiculous and not true.

you just didn't check carefully enough.

I exchanged mine with apple 5 times, they all have scuffs. If this scuffgate isn't true, how do you think apple would exchange for me? Do you think apple would exchange a phone for me for a phone that has nothing wrong with it? And do you really think people are that boring to come in and create this 184 pages of thread complaining about something that's not true?

----------

I am sure case isn't the issue. Even without the case, those particales are still there in your pockets / purses rubbing against your phone. It's not like they only exist in the case.

If apple is doing it right, those particles are not sharp enough to damange the phone. The iphone 5 is using the matel shell. It is supposed to be strong enough to be not scratched by the particles. My macbook pro has the case too. Everytime I remove the case, I always see particles inside, but those particles never could scratch my macbook.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
I am sure case isn't the issue. Even without the case, those particales are still there in your pockets / purses rubbing against your phone. It's not like they only exist in the case.

If apple is doing it right, those particles are not sharp enough to damange the phone. The iphone 5 is using the matel shell. It is supposed to be strong enough to be not scratched by the particles. My macbook pro has the case too. Everytime I remove the case, I always see particles inside, but those particles never could scratch my macbook.

Oh dear, I obviously didn't explain myself simply enough! Have a look here to see what others say - particularly post 10.

FAJV

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2013
Montenegro

I exchanged mine with apple 5 times, they all have scuffs. If this scuffgate isn't true, how do you think apple would exchange for me? Do you think apple would exchange a phone for me for a phone that has nothing wrong with it? And do you really think people are that boring to come in and create this 184 pages of thread complaining about something that's not true.

An android fan can buy an iPhone 5 from Apple, he can scratch it, take some pictures, post them on the internet, then go back to Apple and start to complan that he got a bad phone, then they would give a new one to him, he'll do it again and again, and once he get bored he will stop.

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
An android fan can buy an iPhone 5 from Apple, he can scratch it, take some pictures, post them on the internet, then go back to Apple and start to complan that he got a bad phone, then they would give a new one to him, he'll do it again and again, and once he get bored he will stop.

This has a surprising ring of truth about it!

gsugolfer

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2010
Georgia, USA
This has a surprising ring of truth about it!

You know, I've been an Android user (both phone and tablet) for two years before buying an iPhone. During that time, I had several friends who referred to just how over the top Apple users are. I kinda brushed it off, thinking it can't be THAT bad.

By MY GOD this is ridiculous. Do you REALLY THINK that someone is going to take time out of their day to scratch a freaking phone in an attempt to make Apple look bad? It's wonderful that you have enough free time to sit around and think up this complete BS. I would, however, recommend getting a job or going to school in an attempt to put all that wasted energy towards something positive.

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009

If this thread is posted by few same usernames, then you could probably say that. But that's not true, this thread is posted by hundreds of different accounts.

And this is all over the news. So are you also saying these reporters are all android fans, they are trying to make apply look bad? Apple even ackownledged this, and responded that this is NORMAL. So apple is an android fan? LOL

http://www.extremetech.com/electron...ne-5-scuffgate-scratches-and-chips-are-normal
http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/handheld/iphone-5-supply-squeezed-by-scuffgate-fi/240008841
http://scuffgate.net/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57518019-1/iphone-5-say-hello-to-scuffgate/

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
If this thread is posted by few same usernames, then you could probably say that. But that's not true, this thread is posted by hundreds of different accounts.

And this is all over the news. So are you also saying these reporters are all android fans, they are trying to make apply look bad? Apple even ackownledged this, and responded that this is NORMAL. So apple is an android fan? LOL

http://www.extremetech.com/electron...ne-5-scuffgate-scratches-and-chips-are-normal
http://www.informationweek.com/hardware/handheld/iphone-5-supply-squeezed-by-scuffgate-fi/240008841
http://scuffgate.net/
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57518019-1/iphone-5-say-hello-to-scuffgate/
Nowhere did apple say it was normal. They said it was normal that it can scuff over time. Nothing about coming scuffed out of the box

cpthk

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2009
Oh dear, I obviously didn't explain myself simply enough! Have a look here to see what others say - particularly post 10.

I guess this comes down to what kind particles we are talking. I was thinking the dusts from the air we are breathing. Those I am fairly certain that they won't scratch your phone. But if you are talking those tiny stones from sand caught up from the beach, or some kind of matel chips if you work at construction sites, then sure, they could scratch. But those particles even without the case, could have scratched your phone in your pocket.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I've had my black iPhone for two months now.

Was perfect out if the box and is still perfect.

I keep it in my pocket by itself and when at home it sits on a microfibre cloth.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia

I exchanged mine with apple 5 times, they all have scuffs. If this scuffgate isn't true, how do you think apple would exchange for me? Do you think apple would exchange a phone for me for a phone that has nothing wrong with it? And do you really think people are that boring to come in and create this 184 pages of thread complaining about something that's not true?

184 pages of people whining about tiny scratches on their iPhone is pretty boring regardless of wether it’s true or not ;) heh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.