Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

e-r-a-n

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Is it possible?
currently its imap. i dont like it too much.
is it possible to setup as exchange server?

e-r-a-n

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
thats too bad :-(
So what service is available for me to see new mails instantly?
Ive heard of an app that allows having a webpage as the main window of it, cant remember its name..
or maybe some way to have notifications in desktop?
what would be the best way knowing new mails as they arrive?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Ive heard of an app that allows having a webpage as the main window of it, cant remember its name..

You thinking of Fluid maybe?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Mail.app does support exchange activesync. I don't know how good it is but the feature is there. Give it a try.

That's only for new accounts created after January. Existing account are unaffected (for now).

e-r-a-n

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Yes, i meant fluid,
but its a poor solution.
how do i get to choose exchange service? It always goes imap

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I don't have my Mac with me to give screenshots, but when you add an account you should be able to select the type. I believe the last one in the list is exchange. I don't use it so I can't speak for how good it is or if it's even true activesync, but it should be there.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
AFAIK, the exchange support in OS X isn't Exchange Activesync (Microsoft only license it for mobile devices), it's Exchange via EWS (Exchange Web Services)

Notwithstanding the changes to ActiveSync that are coming to GMail at the end of the month (i.e. it will no longer be available for new clients apart from on paid Google apps accounts), GMail has never provided connectivity via EWS (It's proprietary to Exchange), and OS X mail has never been able to connect to Gmail as an exchange client

e-r-a-n

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Well,
I hate keeping the gmail tab always open and takes space in my tab list,
but even if i do, i dont get notifictions when new email arrives
any way to atleast have that the moment the event happens?

whsbuss

macrumors 601
May 4, 2010
SE Penna.
AFAIK, the exchange support in OS X isn't Exchange Activesync (Microsoft only license it for mobile devices), it's Exchange via EWS (Exchange Web Services)

Notwithstanding the changes to ActiveSync that are coming to GMail at the end of the month (i.e. it will no longer be available for new clients apart from on paid Google apps accounts), GMail has never provided connectivity via EWS (It's proprietary to Exchange), and OS X mail has never been able to connect to Gmail as an exchange client

Thank you. That was my original post.

e-r-a-n

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
Thank you all.
I eventually set my imap with IDLE feature and cancelled "include when automatically checking for new mails"
and its more or less what i want, instant mail retrieval

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.