Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 4, 2009
3.5" screen was totally overdue to go away in Apple land and in fact, the 4" screen is still pitiful compared to the competition.

For me the sweet spot is ~4.2-4.5". I've got a 5" Galaxy Player and while I like it it is just a bit too big for my liking.

Funny enough the new Galaxy Player coming out is going to sport a 5.8" screen which is just nuts unless you like watching movies on the go.

The phones/media player screen sizes are beginning to run into tablet world. Seems some companies have forgotten the idea portability.

I agree with you.

I thought the same until I bought the Note II. Took me time to get used to it but now I can't imagine using anything smaller!

I wish i could say the same. i have had the s3 since it was released and i still wish it was the same guts but in a 4.5" body.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The phones/media player screen sizes are beginning to run into tablet world. Seems some companies have forgotten the idea portability.

Moot, the concept of portability means too much in the modern tech world. A 17" Macbook Pro was a portable workstation. The current iPad 4 is a portable tablet, and the Note 2/iPhone 5/GSIII/Palm Pre are portable devices.

So even if a Note 3 was introduced at 6" it'd be portable since it's not in the screen size of the 9.7" iPad.

Again, what some people consider pocketable or portable is all relative. I thought the EVO 4G was HUGE when I first got it out of the box. It dwarfed the iPhone and iPod Touch. Now the Note 2 dwarfs the EVO, and I've been able to stick all three devices in my pocket at the same time comfortably.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
My very first reaction when I saw one in person was wow, that's pretty big. Once I spent some time and played around with it, I absolutely love it. 5" is probably as small as I'll go from now on.

I'll probably go to something smaller later on but I'm still waiting for a phone with equal or better battery, I just don't like the design of the RAZR phones.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
i've never used the note 2, and everytmie i spot 1 i think its ridiculously huge!! interesting to read that users actually love it... i cant see myself using one, but then again, i never have... :rolleyes:
Interesting that people who looked at the choices available, decided they wanted a Note 2, and willingly purchased one might like it? That shouldn't be a surprise.

Michael

Last edited:

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
As long as I can use the phone one-handed, then I'm fine. I use my iPhone almost exclusively one-handed, except for playing games and composing long messages. It's very important for me; I can't imagine having to use both hands just to do anything. I think 4.8" is probably the near-perfect size, in that regard. Do note, though, that I have large hands.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
...I use my iPhone almost exclusively one-handed, except for playing games and composing long messages....

Don't worry, I have average sized hands, and have had about the full gamut of phone sizes and not one of them is hard to use with one hand. Save for of course those two things you mentioned.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Don't worry, I have average sized hands, and have had about the full gamut of phone sizes and not one of them is hard to use with one hand. Save for of course those two things you mentioned.

So, with average sized hands you can use a Note II with one hand?? I even call BS on not being hard to use the SGIII with one average sized hand.

Can we chalk this up to unintentional hyperbole, or should we just ignore everything you post from now on?

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
So, with average sized hands you can use a Note II with one hand?? I even call BS on not being hard to use the SGIII with one average sized hand.

Can we chalk this up to unintentional hyperbole, or should we just ignore everything you post from now on?

Who pissed in your coffee this morning? :rolleyes:

You can always go and . . . . . try it out for yourself . . . you know . . . . in a store perhaps. ;)

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011
The only thing I don't like about the Note 2 is the physical button on the bottom. I hope the Note 3 has on screen buttons that would be ideal.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Who pissed in your coffee this morning? :rolleyes:

You can always go and . . . . . try it out for yourself . . . you know . . . . in a store perhaps. ;)

I don't drink coffee because I hate the taste, but I hate people who are intellectually dishonest even more.

What would possess you to assume that I haven't used both? You didn't address the issue I raised.....are you still trying to claim that holding a Note II in one "average sized" hand your thumb (the only digit left free) can press buttons at the bottom of the screen and then reach up with that same thumb to swipe the top of the screen to get your notifications??

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
I don't drink coffee because I hate the taste, but I hate people who are intellectually dishonest even more.

What would possess you to assume that I haven't used both? You didn't address the issue I raised.....are you still trying to claim that holding a Note II in one "average sized" hand your thumb (the only digit left free) can press buttons at the bottom of the screen and then reach up with that same thumb to swipe the top of the screen to get your notifications??

I wasn't being intellectually dishonest. That had NOTHING to do with my comment, and you really are just being verbose by putting the two words together.

Anyway, yes, I can actually do that. If you had actually used the devices, you'd know that you don't have to swipe all the way down to the bottom. Also, you'd know that there's a option to set the keyboard and numpad to the far left or right.

I may have misjudged my hand size, however, being able to use a device with one hand is purely a subjective thing.

Once again, besides typing (leave my keyboard full-sized) and play games and doing other tasks that would require two handed use on any device, I can comfortably use my Note 2 with one hand.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I wasn't being intellectually dishonest. That had NOTHING to do with my comment, and you really are just being verbose by putting the two words together.

Anyway, yes, I can actually do that. If you had actually used the devices, you'd know that you don't have to swipe all the way down to the bottom. Also, you'd know that there's a option to set the keyboard and numpad to the far left or right.

I may have misjudged my hand size, however, being able to use a device with one hand is purely a subjective thing.

Once again, besides typing (leave my keyboard full-sized) and play games and doing other tasks that would require two handed use on any device, I can comfortably use my Note 2 with one hand.

I have used it, and I really like the Note 2. Several people I know have them. If I could only have one device, either by necessity or by preference, I would get either a Note 2, or at least an SG III. As it stands, I prefer a 60" plasma for my movies and TV, a full-sized tablet for games and web surfing, and a small smartphone for phone calls, texts, and email.

That aside, calling either device one that can be "comfortably" used with one hand is hyperbole. NO ONE I know or have seen actually uses a Note 2 with one hand, much less comfortably......except you, apparently. Most of people I know don't use their SG III with one hand, either. Again, we are talking about people with "average sized" hands, which was the claim you made.

You are the only person I have ever seen claim you can comfortably use a Note 2 one-handed. My own experiences aside, the fact that the average person CAN'T use it one-handed at all has been part of every review I've seen:

"And yet: You cannot operate it with one hand."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/05/galaxy-note-ii-review-samsung-_n_2010911.html

"If you frequently find yourself in situations where one-handed usability is a priority, then, you’re probably the consummate example of someone the Galaxy Note II would be too big for."

http://pocketnow.com/2012/10/07/is-the-galaxy-note-2-too-big

They go on and on. There's not a review I ever read that claims the Note 2 is comfortable to use one-handed. And I don't even care about it being one-handed or not....I prefer using two hands even on a small phone, something I picked up from my Treo days.

Look, the Note 2 is the top phablet on the market today, and it doesn't need ridiculous hyperbole to justify its existence. It is what it is. It is supposed to be a compromise device for those who do not want to carry both a pocketable cell phone and a full-sized tablet.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

You have issues.

How about this . . . . sure. I can't use my phone with one hand to do ANYTHING what so ever, not even swipe from the top to halfway down the front of my phone.

Forget the fact that I was talking from a strictly personal experience.
Forget this result from one of the lamest Google searches I've ever done.
Forget how it shows how you can do what are traditionally the main tasks you'd do with a smartphone with one hand.

The people on these forums are becoming extremely incorrigible, even when defending what would otherwise be an opinion.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
You have issues.

How about this . . . . sure. I can't use my phone with one hand to do ANYTHING what so ever, not even swipe from the top to halfway down the front of my phone.

Forget the fact that I was talking from a strictly personal experience.
Forget this result from one of the lamest Google searches I've ever done.
Forget how it shows how you can do what are traditionally the main tasks you'd do with a smartphone with one hand.

The people on these forums are becoming extremely incorrigible, even when defending what would otherwise be an opinion.

The video actually proves my point. A one-handed keyboard setting does not equate with comfortable one-handed use of a phone. Even when he is typing on the one-handed keyboard, he clearly can't reach the top of the screen with his thumb where the other buttons and notifications are. He can barely reach the far side of the one-handed keyboard with his "average sized" thumb.

The biggest problem with forums are people who think they can say anything they want without being challenged on it. IMHO what you said was not an actual opinion but ridiculous hyperbole, and I don't believe for a second that you generally, frequently, or usually use a Note 2 with just one hand. Your statement, IMHO, misleads people thinking about getting a Note 2 that they also will find it comfortable to use one-handed. Perhaps it was the matter-of-fact way you said it that rubbed me the wrong way, without even acknowledging the difficulties of using a 5.5" phablet one-handed.

Had you said "I occasionally use a Note 2 one-handed without too much difficulty," a reasonable opinion to hold given the facts, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Whatever. You espoused your "opinion," and I gave mine.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
The video actually proves my point. A one-handed keyboard setting does not equate with comfortable one-handed use of a phone. Even when he is typing on the one-handed keyboard, he clearly can't reach the top of the screen with his thumb where the other buttons and notifications are. He can barely reach the far side of the one-handed keyboard with his "average sized" thumb.

The biggest problem with forums are people who think they can say anything they want without being challenged on it. IMHO what you said was not an actual opinion but ridiculous hyperbole, and I don't believe for a second that you generally, frequently, or usually use a Note 2 with just one hand. Your statement, IMHO, misleads people thinking about getting a Note 2 that they also will find it comfortable to use one-handed. Perhaps it was the matter-of-fact way you said it that rubbed me the wrong way, without even acknowledging the difficulties of using a 5.5" phablet one-handed.

Had you said "I occasionally use a Note 2 one-handed without too much difficulty," a reasonable opinion to hold given the facts, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Whatever. You espoused your "opinion," and I gave mine.

You are getting better. At least this time you at least admitted to my statement being an opinion albeit distastefully as well as yours. Since your statement is merely the opinion of an over zealous user of these forums its safe to say that much of it, being all to wordy, is moot.

vikingjunior

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2011

Dude you can use one hand just shift your hand a little to reach top and bottom its not a big deal for the luxury of a bigger screen.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
Dude you can use one hand just shift your hand a little to reach top and bottom its not a big deal for the luxury of a bigger screen.

Even if it's physically possible by some individuals doesn't mean that it's comfortable, or that you yourself even do it. I'm quite certain that you use two hands like every other Note II user, and there's nothing wrong with that. I use two hands on a 4" phone because I prefer to use both of my hands. But it's disingenuous to claim that it easy or comfortable to use a Note II one-handed.

If you are someone who needs or prefers to use a cell phone one-handed, there is a 98% chance that you will find that the Note II will not work for you. There is a 50% chance you will find an SG III is too big for comfortable one-handed use. This is MY opinion based on actual use of Android devices by someone with average sized hands who is normally a 2-handed user.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination

Or you can get a tiny phone and hold it real close. Sure you have to still use two hands for just about everything you do, even typing, but at least you don't have to use two hands to go from the very top to the very bottom of your phone.

Why you would want to do that is beyond me?

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I have average to small adult male hands. I'm a righty and I cannot reach the upper left hand corner of the Note II with my thumb. That is the only region I can't reach.

Would that fact stop me from purchasing such a large screen? I don't know. I'd probably have to use one for a few weeks to make a proper judgment.

I do think the iPhone 5's screen is too small. It should be wider for sure. There is a sweet spot between the iPhone 5's screen and the Note II. Perhaps 5". I don't think it's a coincidence that most flagships this year will most likely feature 5" screens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.